Download/Sync function respect selected movie "version"

red_

red_

It would be nice if the selected movie "version" will be respected when clicking the download or sync button.

I have two versions for every movie, one for the (big) tv's and one for mobile devices. Now my Android device downloads the biggest file no matter which one I've selected. 

Edited by red_
  • Like 5

Hi, there is value in the automatic selection. If you pick a quality that is lower than the original, then the smaller one should get downloaded.

red_

How do you mean if you pick a quality? You mean if I enable transcoding in the download settings, then press download at a movie? The MB/s picker? But if I do that, there's also a possibility Emby starts transcoding, which I want to avoid..

It should still be there. What do you mean by turn off transcoding?

Are you referring to user permissions?

yarez0

Hi, 

I'm testing syncing option to a local folder, in my test I put the bandwidth to 4 Mbps so for a movie I have 3 versions :

• 4k HEVC
  • 720 4 Mbps in the sync folder

when I try to download on my phone, I choose 4 Mbps, the 1080 is transcoded to a temp file and then downloaded

is there a way to direct download the 4 Mbps version ? the purpuse is to create a lot of 4 Mbps version of multiple files and store it on the sync folder for "quick offline download".

To be more specific, I have an Ipad and I want to put movies on it but my original files are +10 GB and I don't have a lot of space on it. If I have to make space on it, I want to know if there a way to download "sync version" only or I have to create a mobile version for each ? and if I create a mobile version can I download it ? 

i'm testing it, I have 4k, 1080 and mobile version (automatically based on 4K version) but I don't know with version i'm actually downloading on my iphone, I select mobile version, .vtt sub and select download

yarez0

think i'm downloading the 4k version, I was on 4G network, I changed to wifi and I saw this logs

2019-05-15 15:31:37.976 Info HttpServer: HTTP HEAD https://server:8920/. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0+(compatible; UptimeRobot/2.0; http://www.uptimerobot.com/)
2019-05-15 15:31:37.976 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 302 to IP. Time: 0ms. https://server:8920/
2019-05-15 15:31:38.339 Error HttpServer: Could not find handler for /web/index.html
2019-05-15 15:31:58.869 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET https://server:8920/. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0+(compatible; UptimeRobot/2.0; http://www.uptimerobot.com/)
2019-05-15 15:31:58.869 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 302 to IP. Time: 0ms. https://server:8920/

2019-05-15 15:33:52.559 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to IP. Time: 991079ms. https://server:8920/emby/Sync/JobItems/30/File
2019-05-15 15:33:52.559 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to IP. Time: 791182ms. https://server:8920/emby/Sync/JobItems/31/File
2019-05-15 15:33:52.667 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET https://server:8920/emby/Sync/JobItems/31/File. UserAgent: Emby/6 CFNetwork/978.0.7 Darwin/18.5.0
2019-05-15 15:33:52.668 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET https://server:8920/emby/Sync/JobItems/30/File. UserAgent: Emby/6 CFNetwork/978.0.7 Darwin/18.5.0
2019-05-15 15:33:52.675 Info HttpResultFactory: Setting range response values for /volume1/video/Films/MOVIE_(2018)/MOVIE_(2018)-WEBDL-2160p-x265_AC3-[FR+EN].mkv. RangeRequest: bytes=3569294595- Content-Length: 17358313435, Content-Range: bytes 3569294595-20927608029/20927608030
2019-05-15 15:33:52.675 Debug HttpResultFactory: Transmit file /volume1/video/Films/MOVIE_(2018)/MOVIE_(2018)-WEBDL-2160p-x265_AC3-[FR+EN].mkv offset: 3569294595
2019-05-15 15:33:52.870 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 4.1.1.0
        Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/4.1.1.0/EmbyServer.dll -package synology -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffdetect -restartexitcode 121 -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag
        Operating system: Unix 3.10.105.0
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        User Interactive: True
        Runtime: file:///volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/3rdparty/netcore/2.2.1/runtime/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
        Processor count: 4
        Program data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var
        Application directory: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/4.1.1.0
        MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: Exception of type 'MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException' was thrown.
           at Emby.Server.Sync.Api.SyncService.Get(GetSyncJobItemFile request)
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.GetTaskResult(Task task)
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
        Source: Emby.Server.Sync
        TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

2019-05-15 15:33:52.871 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 404 to IP. Time: 203ms. https://server:8920/emby/Sync/JobItems/30/File

I think this is not possible to download a specific version, app always select the "originial" / bigger file

red_

Exactly, that's what I ment. When I'm turning on transcoding in the user settings (Users -> Select User -> Enable "Allow media downloading and syncing that requires transcoding") I am able to select a specific quality, via a specific MB/s. It will almost always transcode now, also when there's a version available that's playable on any device and under/around the specified MB/s. If I disable the above setting just the highest available quality will be chosen. 

Next to that It's also not possible to use transcode the audio.

So two problems:

1. I'm not able to select one of the two versions already available before downloaden.

2. I'm not able to only transcode audio if the video is already capable for playing on the device.

Both are kind of needed, because I really don't want my PC to transcode everything me and my family are downloading to devices. Next to that it's also annoying to wait for everything to be transcoded, especially if there's a suitable version available already...

yarez0

I'm not a code master, I'm reading a lot of community topic and here is what I understood of Emby

1. the automatic decision of the app is based on the web app : 

• for download original quality ==> download higher resolution file (the web app does not have transcoding option for download, I saw it on a topic, it only can download higher version)
  • if the device need transcode ==> transcode the lower resolution
  • mobile version is only for users who want to direct stream, but they have to choose it before starting the stream

2. if a mobile wants to sync a version, back to 1 : automatic decision 

3. sync folder is another way to play a specific transcoded file with a specific quality. It is also a way to stream a file from the cloud (google drive etc), backup purpose... it is usefull but I don't figure now how is this usefull (in my case)

4. there is no way to decide wich version we want to download, I think the only way is to have 1 movie / 1 version in the library instead of 1 movie / mutiple version

when I try to download on my phone, I choose 4 Mbps, the 1080 is transcoded to a temp file and then downloaded

is there a way to direct download the 4 Mbps version ? the purpuse is to create a lot of 4 Mbps version of multiple files and store it on the sync folder for "quick offline download".

What is the bitrate of the 1080p version?

yarez0

it's the same file I uploaded the logs in the topic for SUBRIP if you wants full statistics https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/72904-subrip-subtitles-are-not-showing-up-in-webapp/

Title1080p H264

CodecH264

AVCYes

ProfilHigh

Niveau40

Résolution1920x804

Ratio d'aspect original2.40:1

AnamorphiqueNo

EntrelacéNo

Images par seconde23,976

Débit5 032 kbps

Couleurs primairesbt709

Espace colorimétriquebt709

Transfert de couleurbt709

Profondeur en Bit8 bit

Format de pixelyuv420p

Images de référence1

NAL4

conteneur mkv

yarez0

sorry

CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfilHigh
Niveau40
Résolution1920x804
Ratio d'aspect original2.40:1
AnamorphiqueNo
EntrelacéNo
Images par seconde23,976
Débit5 032 kbps
Couleurs primairesbt709
Espace colorimétriquebt709
Transfert de couleurbt709
Profondeur en Bit8 bit
Format de pixelyuv420p
Images de référence1
NAL4
Conteneur mkv

yarez0

if you want the 4 mbps sync version I don't have it anymore but I can generate it if you want

Can you attach the same info for the 720p version? I bet we will see it is slightly above 4 mbps.

• 3 weeks later...
yarez0

Can you attach the same info for the 720p version? I bet we will see it is slightly above 4 mbps.

sory i'm late, I can't see the 720 version informations because it's a "folder sync" version, the informations at the bottom of the movie page only show files on the emby video folder. So I have 4k, 1080 and mobile 4Mb version. I think folder sync and mobile version has the same info

Title 720p H264
Codec H264
Étiquette du codec avc1
AVC Yes
Profil High
Niveau 41
Résolution 1280x536
Ratio d'aspect original 2.40:1
Anamorphique No
Entrelacé No
Images par seconde 23,976
Débit 3543 kbps
Profondeur en Bit 8 bit
Format de pixelyuv 420p
Images de référence 1
NAL 4
Conteneur mp4
Chemin /path - mobile.mp4
Taille 4366 MB

Can you do a playback test for me - set your in-app quality setting to 4 mbps. Then on the detail screen for this video, manually select the 720p version. How does it play? Does it direct play, or transcode?

yarez0

Just test folder sync and mobile version through LG tv emby app, 720 4 Mb version

Both direct stream auto, force 4 Mb 720 also direct stream but notice Near 2 sec delay on subtitles (vvt).

Forcing bitrate from 5 to 10 Mb do not delay subtitles

yarez0

Same test on iOS app

Mobile version :

auto ==> 1,5 Mb transcode, sub and audio ok

Force 4 Mb no transcode, sub ok sound ko (no sound at all)

Folder sync version

Auto ==> 1,5 transcode, sub and audio ok

Force 4 Mb nontranscode, sub and audio ok

yarez0

Just test folder sync and mobile version through LG tv emby app, 720 4 Mb version

Both direct stream auto, force 4 Mb 720 also direct stream but notice Near 2 sec delay on subtitles (vvt).

Forcing bitrate from 5 to 10 Mb do not delay subtitles

Both version have sub delay

Just to come back to the first question of this topic, the question why I created it:

Is it possible to implement the same "rules" for the download functionally as the stream functionally?

I don't want my server to transcode any video, because it doesn't have to. For each movie there is a version that will play on all devices already. It's 720p h264 with stereo aac audio. So the download functionally only needs to respect the selected movie version in the app.

An extra option to only transcode audio (like which is available with streaming as well) could be handy though, some apple devices have trouble with AC3 or aac5.1. but still I want the video to be untouched in this case..

Reason: if we're leaving for holidays it's nearly impossible to all make our favourite movies/tvshows offline available! It takes too long for everything to be transcoded etc. And that's annoying because if we all stream our content everting is directplay/stream or maybe one audio transcoding.

Would something like this be possible?

• Like 2

Just to come back to the first question of this topic, the question why I created it:

Is it possible to implement the same "rules" for the download functionally as the stream functionally?

I don't want my server to transcode any video, because it doesn't have to. For each movie there is a version that will play on all devices already. It's 720p h264 with stereo aac audio. So the download functionally only needs to respect the selected movie version in the app.

An extra option to only transcode audio (like which is available with streaming as well) could be handy though, some apple devices have trouble with AC3 or aac5.1. but still I want the video to be untouched in this case..

Reason: if we're leaving for holidays it's nearly impossible to all make our favourite movies/tvshows offline available! It takes too long for everything to be transcoded etc. And that's annoying because if we all stream our content everting is directplay/stream or maybe one audio transcoding.

Would something like this be possible?

Hi, all you need to do is select original quality when using the download feature, and that's what it will do.

No, it will not do.

As explained before I've two versions for each movie. Which is selectable by clicking on the preferred "version" on the movies main page. If you play (stream) the movie, it respect the version I selected. If I press download, it'll do some magic I don't want it to do and randomly chooses one of the two versions.

If you don't understand it, you can read my first post. If you still don't get it please try to explain which part you don't get so I can try to explain that part more clearly.

I'm on holiday now, annoyed that I can't download my 720p AAC version but instead it always tries to download the 1080p DD5.1 version which takes way too long and uses way too much space on my phone.

• Like 1