Emby for Kodi - 4.0.16a to 4.0.19a - Media No Longer Plays

DarWun
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

DarWun

Hi @@Angelblue05,

After updating to 4.0.19a from 4.0.16a, media no longer plays in Kodi. This is on the Synology platform using Emby 4.2.04 beta, and Emby for Kodi installed on an rpi 3+. Rolling back to 4.0.16a resolves the issue. I've attached logs.

Let me know if there is any other information you would like me to provide.

Cheers,

DarWun

P.S. I should add that the logs are from playback attempts made without rebuilding the library after the update. Having said this, I rebuilt the libraries after initially upgrading earlier tonight to see if it would resolve the issue. It did not. I don't have the logs from the initial post upgrade library rebuild. I rolled back to the previous Emby for Kodi version before grabbing the logs. I'll rebuild the library uysing 4.0.19a and provide the logs shortly.

embyserver.txt

kodi (before reboot).log

kodi (after reboot).log

Edited by DarWun

Angelblue05

Thank you for providing your logs. I will have a look. You don’t need to rebuild.*

Edited by Angelblue05

DarWun

Restart Kodi. Does playback work? Let me know, thanks.

Hi @@Angelblue05,

No, it doesn't. The "kodi after reboot" log provides info on a playback attempt after rebooting the Emby for Kodi device. By reboot, I mean I powered down the device and restarted it.

Regards,

DarWun

Edited by DarWun

DarWun

Can you provide an updated kodi log?

@@Angelblue05,

I had rolled back to 4.0.16a after my last post. I updated to 4.0.19a again and tried to play several media files. They didn't play. I shutdown the Emby for Kodi client and restarted it. This time when I tried to play a couple of media files, they played without an issue.

Sorry for the false alarm. I've posted the pre and post reboot logs just in case there is anything in them that might prove useful.

Regards,

DarWun

kodi 2 pre kodi reboot).log

kodi 2 (pre kodi reboot).log

• Like 1

DarWun

Keep me posted if that happens again. Thanks.

Will do.

Angelblue05

I've put a new build out 4.0.20 to correct the issue with restarting and it not reloading correctly until the second time (I saw the error in your log). I think this will prevent issues like what you experienced from happening in the future..

Edited by Angelblue05

Siutsch

@Angelblue05

I have the same problem.

After updating to 4.0.19a from 4.0.16a, media no longer plays in Kodi too.

Using Emby 4.1.1.0 on Win10 and Kodi 18.2 on same device.

The day before all worked, I can remember that there were several updates yesterday:

- Win10: 2019-04 Kumulatives Update für Windows 10 Version 1809 für x64-basierte Systeme (KB4495667)

- Emby: Playback Reporting 1.3.2.0 and Cover Art 4.0.99

- Kodi: Emby for Kodi 4.0.19a

What I tried:

- Uninstalling Windows Update

- Installed older versions for Playback Reporting 1.3.2.0 and Cover Art 4.0.99

- Used Emby for Kodi 4.0.16a (from here: http://kodi.emby.media/Public%20testing/ )

- Started Windows, Emby Server and Kodi several times

Nothing worked.

Just installed Emby for Kodi 4.0.20a, but same problem.

What I had noticed too:

You can't use "Manage database" within Kodi for Emby Addon 4.0.19a and 4.0.20a, with 4.0.16a that still worked.

You can open the area, but none of the sub-items can be clicked (e.g. repair databases)

I hope you can find something in the logs, because I have no more ideas, why this happened.

embyserver.txt

kodi.log

Edited by Siutsch

Angelblue05

I am looking into it right now.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@KrX3D

Would you mind providing your Kodi log?

@@Siutsch

Important note, the github url has changed slightly. Does anything block the connection to it?

2019-05-07 10:14:49.057 T:11240  NOTICE: EMBY.patch -> From https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby.objects/archive/181167229.zip to C:\KODI\portable_data\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.emby\emby\181167229.zip
2019-05-07 10:14:49.422 T:11240  NOTICE: EMBY.patch -> ERROR:: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='codeload.github.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby.objects/zip/181167229 (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x0000022466386CC0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 11004] getaddrinfo failed',))

Edited by Angelblue05

DarWun

I am looking into it right now.

Last night after I posted that playback worked fine using 4.0.19a after a reboot, I watched a few videos without an issue. At one point I noticed that a couple of PVR recordings added to the server over the course of the night were not showing up in Emby for Kodi. They didn't show up after selecting the Kodi library update option either. So I rebuilt the Emby for Kodi database. After doing so, the missing recordings showed up. But media no longer played when selected. It was late, so I didn't get a chance to post back with a new log. I was planning on doing so when I got home from work tonight.  

• Solution
Angelblue05

Did you update to 4.0.20? That should hopefully fix your playback issue. Restart Kodi.

You didn't need to rebuild completely. You know you can just update the single library, right?

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

DarWun

Did you update to 4.0.20? That should hopefully fix your playback issue. Restart Kodi.

You didn't need to rebuild completely. You know you can just update the single library, right?

I'll update to 4.0.20 when I get home and post back.

I know I can update the single library. But I had been reorganizing my movie library folder structure over the course of the night to make backups easier. When I realized the TV show recordings weren't syncing, I thought there might be a chance that the changes in movie library folder locations hadn't synced either. So I just decided to pull the trigger and reset the entire database. It doesn't take much longer to do the full rebuild versus the single library update anyway. I also tend to do a full rebuild after updating to a new version of Emby for Kodi. I know I don't need to unless you post that a rebuild is required between versions. Unfortunately I'm a creature of habit ;-)

Edited by DarWun
  • Like 1

DarWun

Updated to 4.0.20a when I got home. Playback worked without having to reboot.

Thanks @@Angelblue05!!!

Log attached in case there is anything you want to check.

kodi (4_0_20a No Restart).log

• Like 1

Siutsch
@@Siutsch

Important note, the github url has changed slightly. Does anything block the connection to it?

2019-05-07 10:14:49.057 T:11240  NOTICE: EMBY.patch -> From https://github.com/M...e/181167229.zip to C:\KODI\portable_data\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.emby\emby\181167229.zip

2019-05-07 10:14:49.422 T:11240  NOTICE: EMBY.patch -> ERROR:: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='codeload.github.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby.objects/zip/181167229 (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x0000022466386CC0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 11004] getaddrinfo failed',))

Hmm.

Some weeks ago I installed pi-hole on my Synology via Docker Image, but so far I have not noticed any negative effects.

I don't think that the URL github.com is blocked, but can try to add it to the pi-hole whitelist, or deactivate pi-hole for some time to test.

EDIT:

Just tried to download from home pc (can use it via remote maintenance), and it doesn't work.

Then I did a query list with pi-hole and the URL "codeload.github.com" is indeed actually blocked! :(

After adding that to the pi-hole whitelist, the download works now again (from browser, so it must work from within kodi too, I think).

I will test the emby addon later, when I'm at home again.

Thanks for your support! :)

EDIT2:

Uninstalled Emby for Kodi and installed again (remote) and after importing everything, I can play again.

Checked only one movie, but seems to be OK.

Edited by Siutsch
  • Like 1

KrX3D

@@KrX3D

Would you mind providing your Kodi log?

here is the log:

http://paste.kodi.tv/husexifowo

but im now not exactly sure if its the same problem. for me it seems as if emby does not start since i dont see the "welcome" message. also clicking on "restart kodi for emby" and all database option do not work (nothing happens)

it worked on saturday but since monday is doesnt work

EDIT: im on 4.0.20a at the moment

Edited by KrX3D

sualfred

Just a side note:

You are already using Kodi 19 nightlies. We do not support Kodi 19 Matrix. These development builds are bleeding edge and don't expect a release in the next 12-24 months.

KrX3D

Just a side note:

You are already using Kodi 19 nightlies. We do not support Kodi 19 Matrix. These development builds are bleeding edge and don't expect a release in the next 12-24 months.

i am using it since some time and it worked but suddenly it stoped oO

i was also using kodi 18 nightly which wasnt probably supported too, but it worked always without a problem

Edited by KrX3D

sualfred

I don't say that it's already broken in this early stage, but it is going to break. Maybe already tomorrow. Kodi 19 has planned breaking changes for addons and the python integration and at the current stage Kodi is doing a lot of things that break other things. If you want a stable Emby experience go back to Kodi 18. We don't give support before Kodi 19 hits the beta/RC milestone. 

Angelblue05

I’m surprised to hear it was working on Kodi 19. I thought they dropped support for python 2.7.

Anyway, Kodi Leia is the max version supported at this time.

sualfred

Not yet, but it will be changed soon enough.

KrX3D

so after your comment i was doing some tests, first i downgraded to the last Kodi 18 build from 15.04 and emby was working again, after that i updated again to kodi 19 build #0428 and again it worked. than i used step by step each next build and it works and now im on build #0507 which wasnt working before. restarting emby and all database options work again

the only thing that i noticed is that maybe emby needs a bit longer to start up

here is a new log from #0507 build:

maybe this helps a bit to get what exactly was wrong?:

http://paste.kodi.tv/qufavufoyo

EDIT: i forgot to mention that when i downgraded to kodi 18 a patch for emby was shown as message but its still version 4.0.20a

Edited by KrX3D