Problem with video in Emby app

mrhollywood360

mrhollywood360

When trying to watch a movie on the emby app, occasionally there will be video problems like so:5cce389dd1860_20190504205321.jpg

It will go away after a few seconds and it will play just fine, but it keeps happening. The file plays just fine when using other apps on the TV and on other devices. I'll attach logs from playing video.

SamES

I've seen this problem on both LG and Samsung when streaming 4K HEVC.  For some reason the stream doesn't cope when it is broken into segments.  

Luke, is this something we should get softworkz to look at to see if there is something we need to do differently from an ffmpeg point of view?

mrhollywood360

Hi, is this a 4K tv?

Yeah, LG C9. The file is 4K HEVC with HDR ripped directly from a blu-ray with MakeMKV.

I didn't realize it was converting truehd to ac3. It should be able to direct play this just fine, right?

Hi, I don't believe it should direct play. I realize there are some new LG models supporting TrueHD, but so far what we've seen is this is not available to third party app developers to utilize.

If you'd like to test this, you can temporarily set your emby user permissions to deny all transcoding access. This will force the app to try to direct play it. Let us know what happens. My guess is you'll get no audio. Make sure to undo the change after testing. Thanks.

mrhollywood360

Hi, I don't believe it should direct play. I realize there are some new LG models supporting TrueHD, but so far what we've seen is this is not available to third party app developers to utilize.

If you'd like to test this, you can temporarily set your emby user permissions to deny all transcoding access. This will force the app to try to direct play it. Let us know what happens. My guess is you'll get no audio. Make sure to undo the change after testing. Thanks.

You guessed right, there was no audio. It's a shame, I was hoping to passthrough the audio via eARC.

As for the video problem a manually created an ac3 track and used that, didn't see any more issues.

mrhollywood360

This TV supports the main 10 hevc profile, right?

It's the OLED65C9, and it's played every 10 bit hevc file I've tried on it just fine.

@@SamES i wonder if the 10-bit hevc with hdr is just not supported in HLS. If i'm right, then that means if we're converting the audio, we'd also have to convert the video.

SamES

@@SamES i wonder if the 10-bit hevc with hdr is just not supported in HLS. If i'm right, then that means if we're converting the audio, we'd also have to convert the video.

No, I've got quite a few Main10 files and they work fine.  It's just the occasional file that has this problem.  There is nothing I can see in the media info that points to why some files fail in this way when streaming.  I can only suspect it is something in the encoding settings that causes a problem when the file is broken into segments.

5cd03a19b0b79_capture.jpg

Edited by SamES

• 2 months later...
rodie83

Occasionally I have the same problem on my LG 55C8PLA. It only occurs though if I select TrueHD as audiostream. If I play the same file with another audiostream (DD 5.1, DTS) it just works perfectly fine.

• Like 1

SamES

Occasionally I have the same problem on my LG 55C8PLA. It only occurs though if I select TrueHD as audiostream. If I play the same file with another audiostream (DD 5.1, DTS) it just works perfectly fine.

Correct, as this will cause it to DirectStream (only convert the audio track) and some 4K HEVC files just don't seem to work well when chopped up and streamed.

• 6 months later...