What's the general feeling about 4.1 versus 3.5 on macOS?

ChrisJ60

ChrisJ60

I'm currently running Emby 3.5.3 on macOS 10.14.4. I'd like to upgrade to the latest 4.1 but before doing so I'd like to get a feel for whether there are any open issues affecting 4.1 in general (for example has the problem whereby stopping then starting Emby had serious issues been resolved) and whether there are any things to be careful of when upgrading i.e. is it a simple 'install the new software and off you go' scenario or are there extra things you need to take care of (obviously backing everything up first is a given). My main viewing platforms are Apple TV 4K and iPad via the Emby app.

Does anyone have any experiences or comments to share?

Thanks.

mrfragger

I’m on Mac 10.12 and I’m on 4.1.1.0 and it runs great. Yes when you upgrade it might take 10 minutes or so till it starts up due to it upgrading the database (scanning the libraries). So I recommend you upgrade. In the future though when I get new hardware I plan to switch to unraid.

hstamas

I’m on the latest Emby and OS X 10.13.

All working well with no playback issues.

Server still gives me random issues starting up if I have to stop it for any reason. Have to restart my server to resolve.

ChrisJ60

I’m on the latest Emby and OS X 10.13.

All working well with no playback issues.

Server still gives me random issues starting up if I have to stop it for any reason. Have to restart my server to resolve.

The shutdown/startup issue really concerns me. I stop/start my Emby server automatically (from a script) every night as part of a server (machine) backup strategy. Since my server hosts many critical services having to restart it just because Emby has some issue is a highly unattractive proposition. I guess I will have to wait to upgrade until the Emby devs give some priority to solving this issue.