Apple TV 4th Gen VS Apple TV 4k

Alibabava

Alibabava

Hi Everyone, 

i am subscribe to a private emby channel and use Apple TV 4th Gen , i have been experiencing micro lags while watching any video. i have tried the match content and everything in the apple tv and its still the same. Have amzon fire stick in the room and it works awesome not seeing any issues at all. 
reading the specs for apple tv i found this on apple website for

Apple TV 4th GEN 

"HEVC SDR up to 1080p, 30 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 fps, High or Main Profile level 4.2 or lower"

VS  Apple TV 4k 

"H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p"

Question is if i buy Apple TV 4K, will i experience the lags while watching a movie or it will run smooth of Apple TV 4k. Since it costs more money i wanted to check with the community if i should make the purchase or not. 

Thanks 

Edited by Alibabava

corey

Can you provide the media information for the content you're playing? I doubt that the Amazon Fire Stick has more CPU/GPU capabilities than the Apple TV 4th gen. There is a possibility of a bug in the Apple TV app that could be causing these issues and I'd like to understand what you mean by the micro lag. Can you describe that more clearly please?

Alibabava

Can you provide the media information for the content you're playing? I doubt that the Amazon Fire Stick has more CPU/GPU capabilities than the Apple TV 4th gen. There is a possibility of a bug in the Apple TV app that could be causing these issues and I'd like to understand what you mean by the micro lag. Can you describe that more clearly please?

Sure, i am not so technical but the movie formats i am watching are H264 while watching it on Fire Stick i can view the option where it shows the format and rates , it displaying 2160 with different fps depends on the video, Playing the same exact files on Apple tv 4th GEN won't play smooth every 3 to 4 seconds i experience a lag and don't know where to see the info. 

i have change the bit rates as well and it still the same no matter what i do on apple tv 

sfatula

The "new" Apple TV client definitely causes micro lags, used to be really smooth until they converted from the Apple player to mpv. I suppose that might be fixed in some future version. There are other discussions on this issue here in the forums. I know I've created at least one when it first came out, and have seen others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Malcky

I am not sure if LAG is the correct word/description to what I see on anything I watch on emby.....I would say its more of a tiny stutter/skip every few seconds....as if the frame rate is not matching up correctly.

It is not unwatchable but it ruins the viewing experience for me a lot.

p.s......I am using a 4k Apple TV as well, and this stutter/skip was not there previously, so something has happened in the last month that has started this I think.

Edited by Malcky
  • Like 1

Malcky

@@Malcky, does pausing the film solve this for you? I have it with live tv and if I pause for 5 seconds it goes away.

I will see if that sort it out when I watch something tonight and report back.

vdatanet
Another difference, HDMI-CEC, at least on my Panasonic TV. When I turn off my TV the Apple TV 4G keeps playing (Turn on, Turn off and volume work well from the Apple remote.), instead the Apple TV 4K, when the TV is turned off the video goes to pause, and then the Apple TV shuts down. 

This is important on the bedroom TV. I use the sleep timer and I wish to stop the video when the TV turns off (The episodes of a show can be played in one night)  I had a Apple TV 4G in my bedroom and for this reason I have replaced it for the 4K version. Even my bedroom TV isn't 4K.

I do not know if it is the fault of the HDMI-CEC compatibility of my Panasonic TV, or also with other brands.

I have 2 additional Apple TV 4K connected to both 4K televisions and I don't notice any lag on my Apple TV 4K, but the Emby player can not play 4K HDR videos and I must use Infuse.

By the way, in my bedroom TV I've tested Nvidia Shield, and when I turn off TV, Nvidia Shield also turns off.

Edited by vdatanet

Headfritz

I having the same issue! All stuttered after updating ATV. I have tried some of the suggestion above to no avail. The stuttering is quite annoying and makes it  difficult to watch anything. 

vdatanet

I think the problem is in the lack of adjust frame rate and dynamic range on the Apple TV App. I have no stuttering, but 4K HDR content doesn't work.

P.D. I use the beta version.

Malcky

Well I am using Plex again for the time being for any of my content that has this skip/stutter problem........its not everything that has this issue, as I watched a movie the other night and was playing smoothly as it should using the Apple TV 4k.

At the moment I am watching game of thrones and that is horrible to watch using Emby.....same file works flawlessly with Plex.

Well I am using Plex again for the time being for any of my content that has this skip/stutter problem........its not everything that has this issue, as I watched a movie the other night and was playing smoothly as it should using the Apple TV 4k.

At the moment I am watching game of thrones and that is horrible to watch using Emby.....same file works flawlessly with Plex.

We are looking into it, thanks.