Android 6, App does not leave memory until full restart

rckrchrdsn

rckrchrdsn

Samsung S5, Android 6.2. When I go to the Apps page and swipe the Emby app out, I still see a notice on my notification page when I swipe down. The full user interface is gone and on the Application Management page under running. I can start and stop music on the notification. When I go to App Manager it shows as stopped. I do a Fast Reboot, and the functional notification is still there. I have to restart the phone to get rid of it.  It causes no problems that I can see. Just an orphaned copy of the app with only a notification interface.

It's an annoying issue, but not severe at all. It does not interfere with other BT apps like Audible, Scridb, or Youtube.

Hi, what notification is this, the one for media playback?

Is this with media playing when you do this?

• Like 1

rckrchrdsn

It is the media player notification and yes it operates correctly for playback function both before and after I "kill" the app.  I would say I "kill" the app after turning off the playback about 95% of the time. The common scenario being, I turn off the playback of music (which works great now!) talk to someone, and when I come back to the phone I decide to listen to a book or watch a video.  Again, it is well behaved, doesn't block playback from other sources, doesn't jump ahead in the queue if I stop the other source for a moment or two and come back. Killing other sources using BT or jacked headphones will allow it to the front of the queue for playback, so if I play a book, kill the book player, and hit play on my BT again, music from the Emby player will start playing. I can stop and start playback from the notification panel, but there are no other UI's at that point.

Edited by rckrchrdsn

rckrchrdsn

More information: Been playing a bit more with it. So I kill the app. I can still start and stop music from server, both local and cell provider, in the notification.  IF I try to start the Emby app again before restarting and with notification controls, Emby app comes up as a black page. I get one circular working notice and then it just sits. I swipe it out on the visual app manger and the Emby app goes away, but the notification controls still work.  NOW if I go to the Apps Manager under settings and hit "force stop", even though the page indicates no memory in use, the Notification Control goes away AND I can start up the Emby app with full functionality.  So I can force the emby notification control to stop using the force stop, plus when I run a memory clean up I get an extra 62 Mb back.

So you're saying you stop playback, but the media notification does not go away? is that correct?

rckrchrdsn

Luke, that is correct. I goto the app. stop playback, kill the app, swipe down notifications, and the emby media notification is there and functioning. I can then start and stop playback, BUT I cannot right swipe the media notification, even though I have killed the app and the app no longer shows on the running app list.  The ONLY two ways to get rid of the emby media notification after that is to restart the phone of use settings/app manager/emby/force stop.

This was happening before the last update which cured the jitter issue.  

Are you sure you're actually stopping playback and not just pausing?

rckrchrdsn

No, not sure. I hit the play control the music stopped playing. I hit the play control again and them music plays from where I stopped it. What is the difference between stopping and pausing? 

Edited by rckrchrdsn

The square stop button will completely end the playback session.

rckrchrdsn

Luke, I don't remember seeing a square button.  I will look for it and press it when I find it. I will use Pause/Start for the media notification control function and stop for the square button you mentioned. Killing the app is going to the visual app list and swiping it out of memory. NOTE: if a song is playing as I swipe the song will stop, but it can be restarted where is stopped on the no

More on how the Android app works.  I am testing it on a Samsung S5, Android 6.2 and a Samsung Tab A, Android 7.1.1

When in the Android app on both, all functions I have tried so far, such as adding to a play list, visiting folders, playing movies, modifying metadata all work as expected. on the S5, the functionality media notification of the play/pause works, though after play starts I am thrown back to the Emby app. When I pause play, I stay on the notification. The Previous and Next song functions work as expected and I stay on the notification after they perform. The double triangles both directions always kick me back to the app, unless the app has been killed then I stay on the notification. Note that the other functions above perform the same before or after the app is killed. 

On the tablet, The when I try to do anything on the media notification, I jump to the app in music music mode if the app is running and a black screen if the app has been killed. Once in the app all functions seem to work, but essentially I can't use the app except as a quick jump to the app.

On both devices once I have killed the emby app using the visual running apps list, if I try to start the app again, I get a black screen with no activity indicator. Both devices do not freeze and I can do anything else I want to do. On the S5 I can pause/start music or jump to the last/next song.  To be able to start the app in functional mode I have to restart the device or use Setting/app manager/force stop, and after that, on both devices, Emby starts normally. On both devices when I use force stop the media notification disappears immediately.

rckrchrdsn

Luke, if I am in the emby app and hit the square button as you specify, the media notification goes away immediately on both devices as you state.

Ok, so what you've been doing is just pausing. We are going to improve this to allow you to swipe close the notification when paused.

• 2 weeks later...
rckrchrdsn

Luke, I see what you mean now. If I make sure to use the stop button (square) on the viewer before killing the emby app, the media notification does shut down, too. If I only paused the app, double bar/triangle, the media notification stays in memory and can only be forced stopped or the phone rebooted. Now that I know that I just try to remember to use the stop first.

If I only paused the app, double bar/triangle, the media notification stays in memory and can only be forced stopped or the phone rebooted

Correct. Most android apps will allow you to swipe close the notification so that you don't have to force close the app. That's what we'll be adding as well. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...