Wow what happened?

One2Go

Just tried this also and this is a major bummer. All of my Throgsoft themes now show expired trial period because they no longer get authenticated.

Please outline the steps for us MB2 users that we can use our meta data and setup that took years to accumulate and perfect.

I don't mind to obtain a MB3 supporter key to get authenticated for my purchased themes, but until there is a stable version that runs on Linux or UnRaid I can't see the need to run the server client solution for my HT setup. I know that Throg has been MIA and promised to make some changes in the future to his themes so that they will run without problems under MB3.

So please outline the steps that are needed to have the Throgsoft Themes authenticated and what is needed with the change in the Media Browser Domain changes.

fuzzypiglet

I did notice that, it should run in a few hours when I'm asleep, I'll check in the morning if there are any changes :)

I was under the impression that MB2 would continue to work. What I am now forced into is install the server portion on a separate machine, install the Classic client on the HTPC

You can install the server component and MBC on the same PC - there's no requirement for the server to be on a separate box.

Edited by AdrianW

I understand that both of them can coexist on the same PC. However I like to keep them separate and will install the server on my workstation and the client on the HTPC.

Still no clear answer that once I follow through with this can the Throgsoft themes be installed even though they are not 100% compatible with MB3?

Koleckai Silvestri

Should think about emailing all MB2 supporters about the Sunset date. That is if you haven't already.

fuzzypiglet

I was watching my tv tonight, (media via mediabrowser) when my screen went black telling me my theme needed a supporter key.

So I went to mediabrowser.tv and the whole site is just gone. In the end I found this site via a Facebook page someone had created.

I wasn't sure this was even the same software but I noticed a few familiar names on the forum.

Can I ask, what's gone on here? I had no clue anything was changing (always the last to know).

Is the software now separate from media center? Or is it a new plug in?

TLDR version will do :)

Also anyone know my my supporter key now seems invalid?

Should think about emailing all MB2 supporters about the Sunset date. That is if you haven't already.

I tried to do that a long time ago but there was no easy way to extract the information to a mailer.  I'm sure we coulda tried harder but we didn't.  Now, the horse has kinda left the barn so...

As I said, I can write a handler if I need to but I want to use this situation to bump some folks along if they are willing.

• Like 1

The old domain is in the process of being transferred.  The support for that version was sunset back in January though.

When all the DNS propagates, you should end up at the new MB site via mediabrowser.tv.

Welcome to the new MB.  You're about a year late but it isn't too late to get on board :).

• Like 1

As I said, I can write a handler if I need to but I want to use this situation to bump some folks along if they are willing.

I was under the impression that MB2 would continue to work. What I am now forced into is install the server portion on a separate machine, install the Classic client on the HTPC, since this is a major undertaking I am willing to be bumped along but because I have invested so much time into my collection the main question for me is:

Will Throg's themes be authenticate under the new setup?

Since I am at a cross road and a new system has to be installed, before I continue the Media Browser way I need some reassurance, because like any other decision point there pros and cons to go with other solutions, XMBC, PLEX OpenELEC and a few others. I did spent years getting a MB2 collection not about to spend years again on a MB3 solution and then face the same decision again.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed that I can't continue with what I have at present.

fuzzypiglet

I installed the media center app and saw I needed to install the server too which I also did.

After that I just added my media folders and after a long scan of my media the program is running great.

The only thing not working for me is the imagesbyname/people - for some reason the images just won't show up so I've deleted them and will start over (not a big deal).

I think that was quite a simple transition.

My supporter key was mainly those throgsoft themes (I bought the full package). I would like to see them updated but the default theme of 3 is pretty good with a bit of tweaking.

• Like 2

So any idea about the supporter key or will that fix itself?

It is going to depend on what you were using.  Many of the old MB2 themes simply don't exist anymore as their developers have moved on.  But, for the things that are still supported, you can put your MB2 key in the appropriate field in the new server dashboard.  Please see the KB area out here and the tutorials that are there.

fuzzypiglet

Okay, thank you very much. It exciting installing and setting up all this new stuff. :)

• Like 3

In the web dashboard, there's the refresh people task in the schedules tasks. Chances are they'll show after you run that task.

• Like 1

techywarrior

I understand that both of them can coexist on the same PC. However I like to keep them separate and will install the server on my workstation and the client on the HTPC.

Still no clear answer that once I follow through with this can the Throgsoft themes be installed even though they are not 100% compatible with MB3?

You can but the themes aren't available anymore so you would need to copy the DLL manually. Also, some features in MBC may crash or not work since the theme hasn't been updated. But I have run one of Throg's themes in MBC and it is fine as long as you avoid the functions that cause crashes.

Sorry, but the developer of those themes has basically left.  He said he hopes to return sometime this summer but we cannot be sure that will happen.  Until that time, the throgsoft themes are unsupported.  They may partially work but will undoubtedly have problems and will not offer any of the new features of MB3.

Sorry, but the developer of those themes has basically left.  He said he hopes to return sometime this summer but we cannot be sure that will happen.  Until that time, the throgsoft themes are unsupported.  They may partially work but will undoubtedly have problems and will not offer any of the new features of MB3.

I read his message and the reason why he did not finish the themes to be compatible with MB3 and yes he hoped to finish them this summer. This is just one of the reasons I have yet to upgrade to MB3. I did expect from the messages here and in the old forum that MB2 would continue to work. It is just a matter of Authentication and it surely would not be too difficult of a thing to authenticate MB2 users.

In addition I have held back from upgrading because of the development of a Linux version of the MB3 server. This still will take some time judging from the 25 pages of the thread discussing this topic.

I have vigorously supported Media Browser and find myself now in a not very enviable situation. The new features are not a must for me, I collected & customized over the past 3+ years artwork, ClearArt & Logos that with the new themes do not seem to work. MB3 does not seem to have the theme support that MB2 had and judging from the threads regarding Lee's themes there are a few disgruntled customers here.

EBR, I IMPLORE YOU for the peace of my household and the WAF, please write a handler that will authenticate MB2 users so that when the time arrives to make the transition to a Linux server as well as possibly Throgsoft's themes it can be done by happy content users.

Thanks

O2G

I hear you but realize what you are asking me to do is to spend my time, for free, to write code and provide the necessary supporting infrastructure (into perpetuity?) to support software that was written by and profited from someone else who is no longer willing to spend any time on it.

I just may do that - but it isn't super high on my list of priorities ;).  We have a lot of stuff going on right now trying to improve the infrastructure for the new system so this will have to take a back burner right at the moment.

fuzzypiglet

Well I'm loving the new system and as far as those themes I've decided to move on and just suck up the loss of what I paid for them. That said, I wouldn't be too happy if those themes became available again and I ended up having to pay twice - not cool.

• Like 1

@@One2Go - if it's a concern your metadata will be affected by upgrading to MB3, then before adding any libraries, you can disable all metadata fetching in MB3.

There are a number of themes available for MBC, so you may find one you like.

Chocolate is now the default theme which is constantly updated by Ebr.

@@Cheesegeezer's Subdued theme is another excellent theme. Cheesegeezer also has another theme in the works.

Install and have a play with it before dismissing it fully ;)

NB. MB3 can't run on the same PC as MB2 though. Install on a separate PC if possible to test with.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. I am not fearing the loss of meta data as I collect all mine using Media Center Master and I have disabled fetching meta data in MB2.

My concern is in the displaying of that meta data, the informative and pleasant arrangements of the Throgsoft screens. ClearArt & Logo displays as well as the detailed media information displayed in the Detail screens. At this moment I have not found anything close to displaying this kind of information in XBMC, PLEX, MediaPortal or the MB3 themes. Chocolate comes closest.

I fully understand the requirements for trying out MB3 but I am trying to find a path that is least disruptive for my household and at this point in real life the continued MB2 usage would be the least disruptive until I can devote time to the major change of switching to MB3.

fuzzypiglet

Just out of curiosity are themes easier to develop in 3? I felt that it was too difficult in 2.

Just out of curiosity are themes easier to develop in 3? I felt that it was too difficult in 2.

If you are talking about MBC it is the exact same technology (WMC and MCML/.net).

Cheesegeezer

If you are talking about MBC it is the exact same technology (WMC and MCML/.net).

Yep... No difference at all C# .net3.5 & mcml. Server plugins run from c# .net4.5, java for web elements and configs.