Chomecast freezes after few seconds when transcoding

manvalls

manvalls

Everything works fine when using direct play, when transcoding for whatever reason, be it bitrate, video container or whatever, video starts playing, after few seconds it freezes.

The receiver itself is responsive and I'm able to start playing a different video after a freeze. General flow when starting the chromecast is as follows:

- Receiver asks initially for a low bitrate video

- Playback freezes after a few seconds cause transcoding is enabled to lower bitrate

- After the freeze, I select the movie again and send it to the Chromecast

- This time the receiver doesn't ask for a lower bitrate of the video, direct play is selected and the video plays fine all the way through

That's for files which don't need transcoding, for files which can't use direct play I'm not able to go past a few seconds no matter what I do.

Transcoding works perfectly fine in the web app in Firefox and Chrome. The Android app also works fine.

There's nothing interesting in the server's logs, I can add them if you need them though, ffmpeg's logs also look normal.

The only messages the web app is getting from the receiver are regular progress events, which just send periodically the time which chromecast is stuck at.

When looking in the admin panel you can see the activity indicator showing the movie being played, with the playtime moving forward and then periodically moving back to the time Chromecast is stuck at, e.g:

00:04

00:05

00:06

00:04

00:05

I'm unable to debug the receiver as my device isn't whitelisted, that'd certainly help with this situation.

This issue only started recently, a month ago, maybe two months ago or something. Before that, chromecast was working perfectly without any issues. Emby server version is 4.1.1.0, it's available on the internet, I can provide access to Emby devs if necessary.

Edited by manvalls

Hi there, can you please attach the ffmpeg log from an example? Thanks !

Hi there, can you please try lowering the chromecast quality setting? It is currently set to a high amount which might be too much for it to handle. Thanks.

manvalls

I don't care about this bug anyomre, I've migrated to the other media server, the one the name of which starts with P, and it's all working fine now.

Hi there, I apologize for your issue. In our beta channel we have updated ffmpeg builds that may make a difference with this, if you'd like to try that. Thanks.