Upscaling and other video parameters removed??

stettler

stettler

gpu-hq is not an option. It's a hardcoded profile, like the ones you do in the mpv.conf file. If you use several time the same parameter in the configuration file, that's not ET problem: it only concern mpv.

Anyway, why there shouldn't be all those options? We had them, or at least most of them, before. If you allow again users to set those parameters, then we don't need at all gpu-hq (gpu-hq only set those parameters. It doesn't do anything else).

And if you really think that users need some default profiles, you could define them in ET. That way they wouldn't depend on a mvp hardcoded profile that may be changed without notice. For example, in ET:

-Put back those parameters ( scale, cscale, dscale, dither-depth, correct-downscaling, sigmoid-upscaling, deband,...)

- Add a drop down list of pre-defined profiles (for example, lowest settings, middle settings, high-end settings,...)

When you select a pre-defined profile, it would set the value of the various parameters. And users would still be able to make individual changes if they want to (Or create their own profile)

Ie:

if a user select the low level profile, it would change the parameters to:

scale=bilinear
 cscale=bilinear
 dscale=bilinear
 dither-depth=auto
 correct-downscaling=no
 sigmoid-upscaling=no
 deband=no

If a user select high-end profile, it would change the parameters to:
 scale=spline36
 cscale=spline36
 dscale=mitchell
 dither-depth=auto
 correct-downscaling=yes
 sigmoid-upscaling=yes
 deband=yes

And if you then want to change the scaller to ewa_lanczossharp, you would be able to do it.

With a method like that, you get the best of both worlds: You still have a choice of easy, pre-defined, profiles for people that just want to make a quick choice. And you still have the possibility to change all the parameters individually if the pre-defined profiles aren't what you want.
As an extra bonus, you won't depend anymore on a mpv hardcoded profile that may be changed in future versions of mpv.

Guest asrequested

You're all over the place. You were complaining that we shouldn't have to use an mpv.conf, now you're suggesting using profiles, which are even more complicated. You can't have it all ways. I don't want to speak for him, but I don't think Luke wants to create profiles that he will then add options in the UI to use them. Pick a lane. Be specific in what you want, and maybe you'll get some of what you want. I was trying to help, believe it or not. But it sounds like you want all or nothing. Actually, you want everything, then combine settings to create profiles which add even more options. Let's be realistic, do you think that's going to happen? Put everything back and increase the amount of options? You are the only one asking for this. Do you think you'll get what you want?

Edited by Doofus

stettler

You're all over the place. You were complaining that we shouldn't have to use an mpv.conf, now you're suggesting using profiles, which are even more complicated. You can't have it all ways.

You didn't understand anything to what I wrote. I am not suggesting to use mpv profiles. I am saying that if you want to offer some pre-set configurations in ET, you shouldn't use mpv hardcoded gpu-hq profile but define the parameters yourself.

Ok, we are going nowhere so I made a working example in html/javascript (took less than 10 mins):

http://www.animanga.com/select.html

Just try it...

Guest asrequested

Ok, looks simple enough. But the who makes the profiles for high, middle and low. And what happens if I choose low, and then also select ewa_lanczossharp? You can't allow simultaneous options that step on each other.

Edited by Doofus

stettler

Ok, looks simple enough. But the who makes the profiles for high, middle and low. And what happens if I choose low, and then also select ewalancsoz_sharp? You can't allow simultaneous options that step on each other.

It's the ET dev what would define the "profiles". I just used 3 (high/middle/low) as an example.

What count is the selected values for the various parameters. If you choose low and then select  ewalancsoz_sharp, it's  ewalancsoz_sharp that would be used.

The "profiles" are just to select the various parameters to pre-defined values that users can then change. In the same way as a "reset" button, would reset back all value to some default setting. The profile you choose, if any, isn't saved. Only the values for the various parameters are saved.

Edit:

Well, I guess if you want to be really fancy, you could display "customs" for the profile if any value are changed.

Edited by stettler

Guest asrequested

But this is part of the reason they got removed. People thought they could enable gpu-hq and scalers, and have both. Not realizing that mpv will choose between them. And as I said, I don't think Luke is wanting to make his own profiles, though that may offer middle ground. But I would say either use profiles or have upscaling options, and not both. And the profiles need to be basic. No dithering, no deband etc. Deband should be an individual toggle. Dithering should be left to those who know what they're doing. Otherwise there'll be people dithering their 10 bit stuff, down to 8 bit. Just use scaling.

stettler

But this is part of the reason they got removed. People thought they could enable gpu-hq and scalers, and have both. 

I changed the example to display "customs" when any value is changed.

The "profiles" I am suggesting are not an option. They are just a way for people who doesn't know what all those parameters mean to say what kind of system they have and get meaningful values.

If you prefer, you could just have some buttons: Set default values for: "Low"  "Middle"  "High-End"

And when you click on one of the buttons it would set the various parameters.

Here, I made another example with buttons if you think it's clearer:

http://www.animanga.com/select2.html

stettler

Deband should be an individual toggle.

Sure it should be an individual toggle. But it could be included in those various profiles if you want.

I modified this example http://www.animanga.com/select2.html  to include a checkbox for debanding. If selecting the "High-end" profile, it will check "Debanding" by default. If you select any other profile, debanding will be unselected by default.

Guest asrequested

I changed the example to display "customs" when any value is changed.

The "profiles" I am suggesting are not an option. They are just a way for people who doesn't know what all those parameters mean to say what kind of system they have and get meaningful values.

If you prefer, you could just have some buttons: Set default values for: "Low" "Middle" "High-End"

And when you click on one of the buttons it would set the various parameters.

Here, I made another example with buttons if you think it's clearer:

http://www.animanga.com/select2.html

I know what you mean, but a profile will need to be made for each option. So you can have one button to enable all the parameters. And I think it's a good idea, but not if all the individual options are present, too. I would say it's one or the other. As we already removed the other options, I think replacing the gpu-hq profile in place of something more comprehensive, could be a good idea.

Edited by Doofus

suprasaiyan123

I agree that the removal of upscaling and other options is an incorrect one, using a surface book with a strange resolution, almost all of my media needs upscaling/downscaling to look good on my screen. One of my favorite parts of emby theater was the ability to change the video settings on the fly, even though I rarely had to touch it once it was set. Assuming people are too dumb to know what upscaling is, is really an oversight and a bit condescending to be honest. I agree with stettler, the fact that this setting was randomly removed without the knowledge of the user is annoying, instead of being able to enjoy my media, I now have to go through the trouble of having to learn how to edit the mpv configuration file to get my video to look how I like it, IMO this is the opposite of a user-friendly update.