Block all Chromecast devices?

Pog22

Pog22

Is it possible? I get complaints that Emby is terrible when I know it's a combination of poor hardware and a crappy wireless connection

Hi, it's not possible at this time.

Hopefully you are setting the record straight with those users :)

• Like 1

Is it possible? I get complaints that Emby is terrible when I know it's a combination of poor hardware and a crappy wireless connection

Not all ChromeCasts are the same.  Some of the more advanced devices also support Chromecast as well as the dedicated devices.  Nvidia Shield TV is an example of a hardwired device that supports this for example.

But, I tend to agree with the overall premise of what you are saying.

May I suggest you create a new topic in the Features Request section with a request to be able to globally block certain device types/revisions?

While I control my users carefully and basically provide the equipment I could see wanting to ban Rokus up to and including version 3, ChromeCasts and other devices that are problematic OR don't support HVEC/H.265 & Mpeg2. This could even include banning web browsers from playback. Many of us have been converting all media over to H.265 to save disc space but also want to ensure our users ONLY use devices that support this codec.  The older Rokus for example also don't handle Mpeg2 video which is needed for direct play/streaming of Live TV for OTA and Cable broadcasts.

So it would be nice to ban devices based on functionality or by device type. :)

• Like 1

Pog22

Yeah, i get the "but Netflix works great but Emby doesn't stream for sh1t". Most of my content is very high bitrate and as it's all in .mkv a Chromecast is not the most suitable device. I have a Shield and a Mi box myself but only ever cast the odd Youtube video and music

I'm going to create a feature request

• Like 1

Just have them lower the chromecast quality setting and then the server will transcode at a lower bitrate.

You could also put a bitrate limit on the account as well which would force transcoding for any high bitrate videos.  10 Mb per user like this would probably due the job just fine.  You could experiment 10, 15, 20 Mb to find the sweet spot to allow smaller files to "pass through" while causing the higher bit rate files to get force transcoded due to bandwidth limits.

Pog22

Just have them lower the chromecast quality setting and then the server will transcode at a lower bitrate.

I don't want them transcoding at all, they need to get proper dedicated wired devices and decent bandwidth connections

darkassassin07

If you have a reverse proxy like nginx infront of your emby server you could use that to block users based on the user agent header I believe. (I'm not certain how exactly, just an idea to point you in a possible direction).

/edit looks like the chromecast user_agent contains a value labled 'CrKey'

If that value/key pair exists its a chromecast so return 401 otherwise pass it to emby like anyother connection.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

I hate Chromecasts because they will keep streaming for days on end and there is no way to kill the stream remotely. I would love for a way to ban them from the server.

• Like 1

dansblackcat

Best thing I ever did was buy an Ethernet adaptor for my Chromecasts.

If all they do is complain why not just remove them from your server? ;)

Edited by dansblackcat

Pog22

Best thing I ever did was buy an Ethernet adaptor for my Chromecasts.

If all they do is complain why not just remove them from your server? ;)

My daughter is one of them, I'd rather not face the backlash tbh. FWIW I've just bought her a Fire Stick to replace the Chromecast, should have it today.

I'd still like to block Chromecasts though

Thuzad

I hate Chromecasts because they will keep streaming for days on end and there is no way to kill the stream remotely. I would love for a way to ban them from the server.

When I see a user repeatedly playing a TV show, I take away the fact of "automatically playing the next episodes". 

• 2 months later...
Pog22

Any update on this? I now have issues with another cast device a user is using and I don't want to support it. I've limited their access to certain devices but this doesn't block chromecasts.

We don't have any options to just block chromecast at this time, sorry. You'd have to block the device that is casting to chromecast.

Pog22

We don't have any options to just block chromecast at this time, sorry. You'd have to block the device that is casting to chromecast.

Is that even possible when they can use Chrome to cast?

Sorry to be blunt Luke but you guys really need to focus on giving us some admin restriction and control options. I have no way to kill a stream to a chromecast either. I also can't limit the number of consecutive streams.

We're going as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1