Floating Window?

dalton5

dalton5

Hi,

Is it possible to keep the video playing in the background when I switch the app on iPhone?

Also is it possible to not relaunch the app completely if I watch a movie. Switch the app. Come back to it. It reloads everything and not pointing to the video playing.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for reporting. These are improvements we can look at in a future update. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
ThePaladinTech

So apparently Plex on IOS has the ability to shrink the playing video into the lower left cornet while still playing the video. leaving you free to use other apps. Is this functionality available on emby? if so how do I do it. and if not is it on the 'to do' list?

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-floating-video-window-while-multitasking-your-ipad-ios-9-0162457/

That's picture in picture. Yes we could do that if we used the native iOS player, but that has weaker format support which means you'd see a lot more transcoding.

Spaceboy

That's picture in picture. Yes we could do that if we used the native iOS player, but that has weaker format support which means you'd see a lot more transcoding.

i think this needs to be offered as an option because people really value the pip functionality

Stokkes

Hey @@Luke

The iOS version of Plex uses a new player as well (MPV) and can still maintain the overlay functionality. I'm not sure how they do it, or if they dynamically switch to the old, native player if the main Plex app is minimized while playing, but it may be worth looking into again.

PIP is great on the iPad and allows you to keep using your device while watching something. Would definitely be a welcome addition to Emby on iOS.

Thanks

• Like 1

I believe they have an option to use the native player. It's something we can look at adding in the future. thanks.

• Like 1

Stokkes

This is literally the last reason why I need to keep Plex around. I use my iPad a lot and not having the ability to watch videos while multitasking is a huge bummer

• 1 month later...
valent0ne

I believe they have an option to use the native player. It's something we can look at adding in the future. thanks.

Please, I just switched from Plex and this is the only thing that I really miss

• 3 months later...

Are there any updates on adding the possibility to use the native player in iOS/ iPadOS. The pip functionality is really important to me (even if this means I will have a much higher transcoding load.)

Thank you very much,

Squee

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
bezibaerchen

Any update here, especially under the light of iOS 14 which says to come with PIP functionatlity

• 1 month later...
Devdroid

Any update now that the iOS 14 beta is out and available?  Would come in very handy on the iPads. 

Edited by Devdroid

On 8/3/2020 at 1:19 PM, Devdroid said:

Any update now that the iOS 14 beta is out and available?  Would come in very handy on the iPads. 

Not yet but we'll look at what new developer api's might be available in iOS 14 to help us with this.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
GrampieHart

Also interested!  This is the only reason I still have plex running.  Yes, I can work around this by opening emby via the web browser’s desktop mode, but I would love the convenience of having the app support it. Plex and other apps have figured out how to do it, so I’m sure the fantastic developers at Emby could figure out something similar. 

You have definitely built a superior experience overall to your competition, but this one item holds you back. Pretty please with sugar on top?! :)

• Agree 1

Hi, yes we have a plan on how we might be able to do this where we can start playback with our custom player and then auto-switch to the native player if you activate PiP. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

• 7 months later...
SirBomble

Just wanted to revive this again, is there any update on the implementation of this? My wife used YouTube Premium to download videos and listen to them while she's at work. Since we recently purchased Emby Premiere for the download feature, having background play is the next thing on our list.

Best wishes,

Kevin

1 hour ago, SirBomble said:

Just wanted to revive this again, is there any update on the implementation of this? My wife used YouTube Premium to download videos and listen to them while she's at work. Since we recently purchased Emby Premiere for the download feature, having background play is the next thing on our list.

Best wishes,

Kevin

Hi, I don't have an ETA, but yes, we do have a plan of how we're going to support this. Thanks.

• Like 1