Audiobook resume/rw/ff

Gilgamesh_48

pwhodges

so if you are overchallenged since years, you have a serious problem in your management  <_<

Few people, much work - it's not a matter of management but of resources.  Management of work and expectations can help the perception of complainers, if it is aimed at shutting them up; but it doesn't change the amount of effort available.  I presume they have some handle on the number of people making requests, and prioritise work with that in mind.

Wondertje

@@BlindFish

@@Wondertje

Hi.  We already have that.  Individual audio book files can be resumed just fine.

The issue is that audio books often consist of multiple files.  This requires us to be able to track resume as an index in a list of related files in addition to within an individual file.  This is something that doesn't currently exist anywhere else in the system.

I'm not sure I understand you. All of my audio books consist of .mp3's for each chapter in the book, which in Emby are sorted into Albums. These do no resume when stopped midway through, even though they turn up on the "resume list". When you click them you're simply redirected to the file and if you hit play it starts from the beginning. I've personally never used audio book files such as .m4b etc and they were never what I was referring to in this thread. I'm not asking for some kind of support to link individual .mp3's together even if that would be nice. I just want basic functionality for it to remember where in my single .mp3 file I stopped. Especially since it already turns up in the "resume list", meaning it does have some grasp of the fact that the file isn't finished playing.

Edited by Wondertje

BlindFish

@@BlindFish

@@Wondertje

Hi.  We already have that.  Individual audio book files can be resumed just fine.

Sorry, but at least in my testing scenario with a docker instance and multiple test books ranging from one big to various smaller files per title, this was absolutely not the case. On the android client, i couldn't get even one book to resume from a position where i have left it earlier.

But discussing this topic IMHO doesn't make that much sense right now as you have decided to set it back until the required ressources can be made available. I accept that from a business model perspective although - as i mentioned earlier - i believe that the effort required is little and the benefit for users / customers would weigh it out easily.

Hi.  How about with the web app?

In my testing, that will resume individual audio book files.

Wondertje

It appears to function consistently when using Chrome on Windows 10. But in the Android app it doesn't work at all, never has as far as I've experienced.

• Like 2

BlindFish

It appears to function consistently when using Chrome on Windows 10. But in the Android app it doesn't work at all, never has as far as I've experienced.

Same here. It seems to work as intended in web broweser on Win10 but has failed to work 10 out of 10 times with my Android phone or on AndroidTV client.

• 3 weeks later...
turtlefacee

@@Luke

Have you actually put in any actual work for a proper audiobook implementation, or have you been giving us empty promises for years?

Gilgamesh_48

@@Luke

Have you actually put in any actual work for a proper audiobook implementation, or have you been giving us empty promises for years?

the latter

I think that is blatantly unfair. I am the OP of this thread and it was started 28 April 2019 - 08:55 PM which is just a couple of months ago. 

Also, as much as I really want true functional support for audiobooks, the fact is that audiobooks is a quite small market and so would receive low priority.

The number of developers for Emby is small and they must set the priorities. While I, and others, might want for different priorities the fact is it is their product and they, not us, set the priority and we can ask for different but we must accept what they choose or move to a different product. And, for me, a different product is vastly inferior except for audiobooks and the superior product for audiobooks is MediaMonkey and that works fine for me.

I would really like full and correct support in Emby but I can wait until they get around to it.

• Like 1

daedalus

I think that is blatantly unfair. I am the OP of this thread and it was started 28 April 2019 - 08:55 PM which is just a couple of months ago.

true, but true is also this is just the "last" "active", all the much older ones are already abandoned

the fact is that audiobooks is a quite small market and so would receive low priority.

look at yourself, the main reason for this is, that all the ones that would want use it, found another solution, because of no progress here

Gilgamesh_48

look at yourself, the main reason for this is, that all the ones that would want use it, found another solution, because of no progress here

Except I did not "find" another solution but rather the solution I am using is the same one I always have used. I just check out other solutions from time to time.

Admittedly I seem to always refine and improve the way I set up and use MediaMonkey every time I check out a different solution. So when I try out other ways of listening I almost always end up at a better place than where I was when I started. So, I guess, for me Emby failing to provide a viable audiobook solution is actually positive.

turtlefacee

I think that is blatantly unfair. I am the OP of this thread and it was started 28 April 2019 - 08:55 PM which is just a couple of months ago.

I think it's very fair, when I get home I'll find all Luke's old posts about implementing audiobook support and quote them here. He's been claiming that he's been working on it for years, yet the only progress we've seen is a broken resume.

Edited by turtlefacee

• 2 weeks later...
Ausley

For TV shows, there are multiple files. The system just works excellently to resume where we stopped last time. For music and audio books, after we stop, it always plays from the beginning of the first files. If it's understandable for music, it doesn't make sense for audio books. How difficult to program the resume of audio books than TV shows?

@@BlindFish

@@Wondertje

The issue is that audio books often consist of multiple files.  This requires us to be able to track resume as an index in a list of related files in addition to within an individual file.  This is something that doesn't currently exist anywhere else in the system.

For TV shows, there are multiple files. The system just works excellently to resume where we stopped last time. For music and audio books, after we stop, it always plays from the beginning of the first files. If it's understandable for music, it doesn't make sense for audio books. How difficult to program the resume of audio books than TV shows?

TV episodes have season and episode numbers.  There is no such established standard for audio book files or any other collection of files.  This is the part that has to be built into the system everywhere.

Wondertje

So, does music library have the resume function? If it does, it makes no sense why audio books can't get the same implementation since they are treated as single mp3 tracks as it is.

So, does music library have the resume function? If it does, it makes no sense why audio books can't get the same implementation since they are treated as single mp3 tracks as it is.

No.  As I indicated before, keeping track of a playback position within a collection of files is not something that has ever been in the system before (other than the specialized TV functionality which isn't really accomplished the same way).

Ausley

Can track numbers of audio books or musics be treated as episode numbers of TV shows? Then use the same mechanism to resume the play. 

TV episodes have season and episode numbers.  There is no such established standard for audio book files or any other collection of files.  This is the part that has to be built into the system everywhere.

mrfragger

There is no standard convention like S02E11 do for audiobooks it is sometimes padding with 0’s (001,002,003) and sometime not (1,2,3,20,21). Usually it’s not an issue but can crop up.

I’m almost done converting all my audiobooks to m4b (HE-AAC 32kpbs mono 22.05KHz. Mp3 audiobook player pro on iOS I can now see the entire chapter names as of about a month ago. I asked the developer if he could support opus but he’d have to switch to another decoding library.

Emby already supports opus so hopefully they’d consider m4b and opus (single file with chapter) support. This way it’s easy to resume position. But I can imagine if they did no sooner than a week later people would clamor for multiple mp3 support cuz people like massively huge 128kpbs for audiobooks and don’t wanna organize their collections.

• 1 month later...
Chaoswolf

I can confitm that. The audiobook function is the most interesting feature of emby for me. Because I'm using Plex atm, but Plex doesn't support audiobooks, too. But in Plex I can resume audiobooks which are in one file. But sometimes the function is broken. That is the reason for me to testing emby. 

I think it's a pity that it doesn't work here either. I had big hopes in emby as i read that there is an audiobook library. :(

• 1 month later...
Jdiesel

Just wanted to chime in on this thread and say that regardless of current metric for audiobook usage there is a huge potential for Emby to attract a lot of paying users if they add some minimal attention to audiobooks. There is no real solution out there currently and Emby is on the cusp of being able to do what so many audiobook listeners want. 

1. Dial in resume support on the web app and mobile apps for both single and multi-track books. This is the most important thing to have working well as there is nothing more frustrating having to track down were you left off when you just want to sit down and start listening. 

2. Rework the metadata fields to align with books. As far as I am aware there is no standard for this but giving users something to work with will go a long ways. Things like "book" instead of "album", "author" instead of "artist", "publisher" instead of "studio"

Optional but nice to have

3. Collections for audiobooks

4. Playback speed options

5. Ability to save bookmarks 

• 2 months later...
jronnen7

Any update on single track resume functionality for the android app? 

I too find this very annoying, emby has been a great solution for all of my audiobook needs otherwise.  If only the android app could remember where I left off in a single track.

If you are willing to give me a brief overview of what would need to change I am willing to jump in and try to implement the feature.  It is already working fine on chrome, so hopefully adding the functionality to other apps isn't difficult.

I know what it is like to be a busy developer having more features then time to implement.  But this is a pretty simple and would be a wonderful feature, that would save me time every day. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
cooper2337@gmail.com

Did the fix for resuming audiobooks ever hit Android? The app has received updates since the last post but resuming is still not working for me in app, only on chrome.

Did the fix for resuming audiobooks ever hit Android? The app has received updates since the last post but resuming is still not working for me in app, only on chrome.

It will be in 3.0.98+, currently on the open beta. Thanks.

• Like 1

JoeBob0131

It will be in 3.0.98+, currently on the open beta. Thanks.

Will this fixed functionality make it to iOS soon? It is a little annoying having to make a note of where I am at after every time haha.