I7 vs Ryzen 7

roberthleeii

roberthleeii

Long version of the question:

I was all set to build a new server based on a Ryzen 7 (Planning on waiting for the 3rd gen hardware later this year) but I was thinking that I might be missing out with the hardware transcoding that the I7 would offer. I am not a gamer and only have a video card in my current i7 to run 4 mentors. I think that all of the Ryzen 7s need a dedicated video but I was just going to buy something very basic.

My reason for the Ryzen over i7 was thread count and I think that would be more beneficial to my emby and video server.

Quick version of the question:

I7 vs Ryzen 7?   I was leaning Ryzen for the threads but did not know if the hardware acceleration of the i7 would make up the difference…

Thank you

Jdiesel

Quicksync is the way to go IMO. You can get away with a cheap lower powered and energy efficient Intel CPU. If you have other needs like VMs or heavy multitasking Ryzen is probably a better option.

BAlGaInTl

Quicksync is the way to go IMO. You can get away with a cheap lower powered and energy efficient Intel CPU. If you have other needs like VMs or heavy multitasking Ryzen is probably a better option.

This. 

Quicksync is quite capable for transcoding.

• 3 weeks later...
pmurphy0881

I can't say that's 100% correct.  Intel has been having a lot of issues as of late especially with security.  The latest "Zombieload" exploit is proving to really crush Intels performance curve down quite a ways.

Yes I do use Ryzen and have to say that there's very little difference in performance at this point especially if you are going with one of the new 3rd gen coming out.  The one thing that I will highly recommend since my library has grown quite large is that you may have lag in loading the pages due to the size and location of your cached images and database size.  I highly recommend using a ramdisk to house your sql database and SSD's for your cache.  I do this and have seen dramatic improvement in page load times.

Just in case someone want's to call BS look up ZDNET article titled "Fending off Zombieload attacks will crush your performance" ... You could also just search for Zombieload patch benchmarks... Intel's numbers are very understated.

pmurphy0881

Not saying they aren't great, but have you patched them yet and is it worth the premium they get considering how cheap an AMD chip is?  That's all. A real fix from Intel that doesn't affect performance is going to require a complete chip redesign.  That's going to take time.

Guest asrequested

I have two machines with Ryzens, and two with Intel i7s. For media usage, I'd side with Ryzen + Nvidia GPU. That's a combination tough to beat. 

Q-Droid

Not saying they aren't great, but have you patched them yet and is it worth the premium they get considering how cheap an AMD chip is?  That's all. A real fix from Intel that doesn't affect performance is going to require a complete chip redesign.  That's going to take time.

Different type of workload. The iGPU on Intel which handles video encoding/decoding is not dependent on nor benefits from hyperthreading. AMD is not so cheap if you have to buy a GPU. So it all comes down to the intended use. Since this is a media server forum and likely intended purpose Intel has the edge over AMD.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

I went with a i7-8700 over a Ryzen specifically for the iGPU. Intel's iGPU is a beast for hardware transcoding

Guest asrequested

Different type of workload. The iGPU on Intel which handles video encoding/decoding is not dependent on nor benefits from hyperthreading. AMD is not so cheap if you have to buy a GPU. So it all comes down to the intended use. Since this is a media server forum and likely intended purpose Intel has the edge over AMD.

I think that's an over generalization of AMD. What we're really talking about here, is video transcoding. And I would trust my first gen Threadripper over any iGPU. But a Ryzen 7? Then I believe that would lose out to an iGPU.

Q-Droid

I think that's an over generalization of AMD. What we're really talking about here, is video transcoding. And I would trust my first gen Threadripper over any iGPU. But a Ryzen 7? Then I believe that would lose out to an iGPU.

Threadripper is a beast in a different class, well above average. What I wrote might be a generalization but not false. Intel has been focused on media while AMD's focus has been gaming and it shows. Intel has included Quick Sync on low end, low TDP CPUs that handle transcoding better than many discrete GPUs and any equivalent CPU. Someone looking to build a dedicated media server for general home use would do better with Intel CPU/iGPUs. That's not even considering driver and software availability.

Guest asrequested

Threadripper is a beast in a different class, well above average. What I wrote might be a generalization but not false. Intel has been focused on media while AMD's focus has been gaming and it shows. Intel has included Quick Sync on low end, low TDP CPUs that handle transcoding better than many discrete GPUs and any equivalent CPU. Someone looking to build a dedicated media server for general home use would do better with Intel CPU/iGPUs. That's not even considering driver and software availability.

For sure. It's definitely more cost effective. The main reason I originally switched to software transcoding was because of stability. There were a lot of problems with using hardware acceleration. But most of that has been fixed, now.

pmurphy0881

I wasn't even talking about Threadripper.  I was making my assessment from the fact hat I have a 1st gen Ryzen 1800X and it's also a beast for a dedicated media server processor.  I have no problem running multiple x265 transcoded streams from my box.  It's 1st gen so it's going to be substantially slower than any new 7nm+ CPU's than are coming out in June from AMD, but my point was that Ryzen isn't a bad choice and they are cheap.  Now I use my rig for much more than just media.  But in honesty almost any current CPU is going to be able to do a great job serving media.

My Rig:

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

Ryzen 7 1800X

32Gb Gskill Trident Z 3200Mhz

AMD Radeon R9 380  (Very Outdated...)

Adaptec Raid 81605ZQ

1 Samsung 970 evo 2TB

3 Samsung 850 evo 250GB

8 Seagate Ironwolf 10TB

mgworek

I was going to switch from my AMD to Intel but after reading about the downgraded performance on Intel with all the patches, I'm glad I've waited. My older 6 core AMD is running great with dockers and VM's, I just can't pass hardware to my vm's. My server doesn't do that much transcoding anyway but when it does, it doesn't have a problem unless I have 2 remote users transcoding while I am trying to watch something but it hasn't happened in ages.