Further development for WMC

Mahinepua

Mahinepua

Are there plans for future support and development, 4K logos for example?

If there are no plans for future development does the GPL license allow it to be forked and upgraded?

I note there are 19 forks on Github already and I’m sure the Jellyfin project would appreciate another client.

Hi.  We are trying to maintain this system as best we can but it may not receive all the newer features of Emby Server in the future.

This app is open source.

Thanks.

Mahinepua

Thanks ebr, would it be possible to update just the chocolate theme and/or core to show UHD logos?

I’d be happy to donate or cover the cost and it would show great support for long time mediabrowser/Emby users.

I see you’ve discussed how it can be achieved in an old post and it’s a feature that’s been requested since 2015.

Possibly.  It is just very hard to dedicate resources to this platform with everything else we are also working on but we'll see.

• 1 year later...
Mahinepua

Just a bump on this one, no future development upcoming?...before I look at continuing the open source app for other servers.

Edited by Mahinepua

One2Go

Just to give my personal take, since WMC is dead and only really supported with Win 7 which now MS no longer supports, do not expect any further updates for this client, that is what I am working with. There is one other option the themes that I use are @@throgmorton and his themes. He still actively supports them here. He made additions to them that none of the other EMC themes have, like studios being displayed. You could put a request to him for that feature and all of his themes come in a package that has a cost associated with it. To me the best themes that ever were for MB as well as Emby.

If it is only 4K that you are after why not modify the posters with a 4k symbol or ask @@ebr to add that feature to the cover art plugin.

or ask @@ebr to add that feature to the cover art plugin.

CoverArt already supports 4K indicators.

Mahinepua

WMC works great under windows 10 and with Emby, it’s not dead just yet.

Just to give my personal take, since WMC is dead and only really supported with Win 7 which now MS no longer supports, do not expect any further updates for this client, that is what I am working with. There is one other option the themes that I use are @@throgmorton and his themes. He still actively supports them here. He made additions to them that none of the other EMC themes have, like studios being displayed. You could put a request to him for that feature and all of his themes come in a package that has a cost associated with it. To me the best themes that ever were for MB as well as Emby.

If it is only 4K that you are after why not modify the posters with a 4k symbol or ask @@ebr to add that feature to the cover art plugin.

Edited by Mahinepua

One2Go

WMC works great under windows 10 and with Emby, it’s not dead just yet.

Only with hacks and tweaks it will work under Win 10 and you never know if the next MS update breaks it or not or you have to go back to finding a new way to make it work again. You don't really believe that the Devs would invest any resources in such a scenario? The rest that no longer use WMC would be furious if they would spend precious resources on a setup that no longer is officially supported by it's creators. I have resigned to the fact to run Win 7 with @@throgmorton and his themes on EMC, stay with a server 4 version that allows for nested Folder content as well as full BD playback. That is where I will stay for the foreseeable future. As EBR says run the cover art plugin and you will get 4k treatment.