Emby not terminating TV streams from HDHomeRun

simonselmer

simonselmer

Hi

I recently switched from MediaPortal to Emby.

I use a HDHomeRun with 4 tuners to stream TV from. Worked flawlessly with MediaPortal.

A couple of times sinces I switches to Emby only, I have experienced that Emby say "no more available tuners" or similar. 

And it turned out all tuners where "taken".

Restarting the HDHomeRun fixed it both times. That happened twice within a month, and I cannot recall it has happened once with MediaPortal in 3 years.

So is there a bug or something where Emby does not close the stream from the HDHomeRun properly?

When it happens, my Emby Server dashboard does not show any activities.

These are the same symptoms i reported in the thread below.  Check the HDHR logs and find the time stamp of when one of the tuners started a channel, then go into your emby logs and look up that time stamp.  Remember that HDHR time stamps are in UTC, so when you check the emby logs, adjust the timestamp from the HDHR to your local time.

Find the point in the Emby logs that correlates and see what user kicked off the channel.  We need to gather below info and report back to Luke:

What client was being used

Can you replicate the issue either locally, or remotely

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/72502-phantom-locks-on-hdhomerun-prime-by-emby-ffprobe-analyzeduration-timeout/

simonselmer

Great, I will do so. It has only happened twice over a month, so I will keep my eye out for this :)

arche

This only happens to me when a user streams live tv on a iphone. It will still show on the HDHomeRun as streaming even though the user has disconnected.

simonselmer

Interesting. We are not iPhone users in my household, but I share my Live TV with near family through Emby. They hardly use it, but that could be the issue, the few times they do. I will test it next time I'm with them :)

arche

Interesting. We are not iPhone users in my household, but I share my Live TV with near family through Emby. They hardly use it, but that could be the issue, the few times they do. I will test it next time I'm with them :)

Same, I have no apple products in-house to test with. But when it does happen, it's always seems to be a iphone that locks it up. But it direct streams, so there is no transcode log.

denz

It still happens from time to time it’s frustrating that it hasn’t been eliminated completely. Server needs to have methods to check are the clients still connected and if not release the tuner but I am not developer so it is probably not that simple.

• Like 1

Tony B.

This isn't just an HDHR issue. I have to restart the server at times for this reason viewing live TV with TVMosaic

spuleckip

I’ve had this happened when someone was watching tv and abruptly closed the app.

Asking people to back out to the guide before closing the app or turning off the tv/device has resolved it for me.

It may or may not be related, but wanted to throw it out there since I saw the same symptoms with tuners not being released.

I was able to replicate the issue on an Android device using the Emby app.

1) Get into a poor cellular spot

2) start up a stream

3) trick is that the cellular is so poor, the tuner locks but Emby just spins.  Backing out of the page back to home page, and, voila, the tuner is locked but no indication of the channel actually streaming to the device.

Also, the admin dashboard never registers that the user started a Live TV session.

• Like 1

bgeelen

I'm seeing this to.

I have emby connected using Xtvee -> Tvheadend -> Hdhomerun(s)

The problems i have is that:

1) I cant tune to a new channel when all my tuners are used in tvheadend

2) my disk space is full after a while because of the "Temporary transcode" folder growing to 120GB

After a reboot of the server, the first issue is fixed. 

The second issue is bigger because Emby writes so much sata to my linux server disk that emby cant start up again to clean the files. So i have to manualy delete these files to get the system up and running.

Please let me know how i can help with solving this.

bgeelen

I’m using nvidia shield for the main tv. Some IOS devices and Samsung TV’s.

Sometimes i just tell my google home to shut down the tv. Sometimes i just go back to the main menu and shut down the tv from there.

• 2 weeks later...
bgeelen

Hi Luke,

Thanks for that!

But for now, i need to clean the temporary folder every 2 or 3 days and restart the server.

Is there any way for emby to help me with this?

i run this command :

rm /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp/*

and i restart emby:

service emby-server restart

this i really frustrating....

bgeelen

ok, i have a couple of Samsung TV users which look like they don't shut down the emby app nicely. 

I can tell them to do it, but I can't force them to, So results now is that every day or so, the 120GB ssd fills up with temp files, even tough emby doesn't have anything playing in the current active devices. Has this been identified as bug ?

If i give the server a restart before the disk space runs out, all is fine, but if i'm to late, I need to manualy remove the temp files and reboot the server. 

Please any advice ?

bgeelen

The main issue seems to be that if you don't stop live tv playback on an android tv before turning of the tv or shield, it keeps the stream open and starts storing the stream in the trans-coding folder.

My configuration for live tv is:
Tuner -> TVheadend -> Emby

In the server overview there is nothing to see that the stream is still running. But TVheadend shows the stream is stil active. 

Edited by bgeelen

Correct, currently you need to use the controls in the app to stop playback. It's something we're working on improving, thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we are looking into it as part of the upcoming 4.2 release. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
bgeelen

I installed the latest Beta, and did not have a crash since. So it looks like the fix is working. I will keep an eye on it, thanx!

I installed the latest Beta, and did not have a crash since. So it looks like the fix is working. I will keep an eye on it, thanx!

Thanks for the feedback !

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having an issue seemingly very similar.  Emby 4.4.3.0 running on Server 2019 with Nvidia Shields at Samsung TVs.  After tuning to Live TV for some time (say 20 minutes or so), when backing out of the feed as if to go back to guide, the screen goes black, the sound continues for another 20 seconds or so, then finally severs the feed.  I wouldn't care so much if it didn't leave several GBs of the previous feed in the transcode cache.

Which, I still don't understand why the transcode cache is building up with files when all signs indicate a DIRECT PLAY feed.  

38 minutes ago, go2amp said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having an issue seemingly very similar.  Emby 4.4.3.0 running on Server 2019 with Nvidia Shields at Samsung TVs.  After tuning to Live TV for some time (say 20 minutes or so), when backing out of the feed as if to go back to guide, the screen goes black, the sound continues for another 20 seconds or so, then finally severs the feed.  I wouldn't care so much if it didn't leave several GBs of the previous feed in the transcode cache.

Which, I still don't understand why the transcode cache is building up with files when all signs indicate a DIRECT PLAY feed.  

Hi.  Make sure you update the Android TV app on your device and this should no longer be a problem.

Thanks.