Overlay missing on 3.0.8

csadoian

WalBob

Oh ok, so it's not just me lol. Yeah I leave it running too. It would be nice to have it run automatically on startup, but oh well.

Click on EMBY Theater Settings.....  select 'DISPLAY'..... Scroll down to options at the bottom of the screen and click 'Run at Startup'.

Crestj

Side note: I have that "start with Windows" ticked but find it never actually does. Not a big deal though.

davesurfer

Why can't you?

Well there's the glitch where one has to double-click on the executable twice for it to start. I guess I could have 2 shortcuts in the Startup folder for the same executable and see if that works lol.

Click on EMBY Theater Settings.....  select 'DISPLAY'..... Scroll down to options at the bottom of the screen and click 'Run at Startup'.

This doesn't work because that option is only for the installed Emby Theater, this 3.0.6 one is just run from a folder (extracted and run, not installed).

WalBob

Well there's the glitch where one has to double-click on the executable twice for it to start. I guess I could have 2 shortcuts in the Startup folder for the same executable and see if that works lol.

This doesn't work because that option is only for the installed Emby Theater, this 3.0.6 one is just run from a folder (extracted and run, not installed).

Sigh...…!    

Run at Startup should work fine. You might want to re-look at the install/downgrade process....

Ensure EMBY Theater has been uninstalled - Check in Windows Control Panel, Uninstall Applications.

Download and Re-Install EMBY Theater latest version (3.0.8)

Downgrade EMBY Theater to v3.0.6 using the instructions posted earlier in this thread that I will repeat again here:

1.  Go to: https://github.com/M...indows/releases and find the 3.0.6 release and download the appropriate zip file (X86 or X64)

2.  Open up an explorer window and navigate to c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater  ("name" in the path is the name of the default user that logs into EMBY Theater)

3.  Rename the folder system to system.old

4.  Rename the folder data to data.old

5.  Create a new folder called 'system' and extract the contents of the 3.0.6 release into this folder

6.  Rename MediaBrowser.Updater.exe to MediaBrowser.Updater.exe.old in the system folder (this ill prevent upgrading back to 3.0.8).

You may have to enable "show extensions for known file types" in order to see the .exe extension on your system.

davesurfer

Sigh...…!    

Run at Startup should work fine. You might want to re-look at the install/downgrade process....

Ensure EMBY Theater has been uninstalled - Check in Windows Control Panel, Uninstall Applications.

Download and Re-Install EMBY Theater latest version (3.0.8)

Downgrade EMBY Theater to v3.0.6 using the instructions posted earlier in this thread that I will repeat again here:

1.  Go to: https://github.com/M...indows/releases and find the 3.0.6 release and download the appropriate zip file (X86 or X64)

2.  Open up an explorer window and navigate to c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater  ("name" in the path is the name of the default user that logs into EMBY Theater)

5.  Create a new folder called 'system' and extract the contents of the 3.0.6 release into this folder

6.  Rename MediaBrowser.Updater.exe to MediaBrowser.Updater.exe.old in the system folder (this ill prevent upgrading back to 3.0.8).

You may have to enable "show extensions for known file types" in order to see the .exe extension on your system.

Thanks for the process, when I'd asked I was told to run it from the folder without installing it. That github link doesn't work, the link didn't get posted properly, there's 3 dots in the middle of it. Looked back a few pages and found the proper link: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-windows/releases

Anyways, did that above and it seems to work fine now! Can't find the run on startup though. Went to Emby Theater, Display, but found no option, I just put the shortcut in the startup folder as I'm sure that's all it does anyways!

Edited by davesurfer

WalBob

Thanks for the process, when I'd asked I was told to run it from the folder without installing it. That github link doesn't work, the link didn't get posted properly, there's 3 dots in the middle of it. Looked back a few pages and found the proper link: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-windows/releases

Anyways, did that above and it seems to work fine now! Can't find the run on startup though. Went to Emby Theater, Display, but found no option, I just put the shortcut in the startup folder as I'm sure that's all it does anyways!

Make sure you scroll down the screen for the startup options...

5d14535418d0b_RunAt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We are still looking into it. In the meantime you can still use 3.0.6. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We are still working on it. You can use version 3.0.6 in the meantime. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
aja07

Hi happy I found this thread. Have the same problem with my windows 7 setup and 3.0.8.  Have downloaded the 3.0.6 version which works by clicking the exe file in the unzipped folder, but not sure how to install it.   Is there a way to install 3.0.6 or do we keep running it from the folder?

WalBob

Hi happy I found this thread. Have the same problem with my windows 7 setup and 3.0.8.  Have downloaded the 3.0.6 version which works by clicking the exe file in the unzipped folder, but not sure how to install it.   Is there a way to install 3.0.6 or do we keep running it from the folder?

From earlier in this thread....

First Install EMBY Theater 3.0.8 as per normal install then......

1.  Go to: https://github.com/M...indows/releases

and find the 3.0.6 release and download the appropriate zip file (X86 or X64)

2.  Open up an explorer window and navigate to c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater

5.  Create a new folder called system and extract the contents of the 3.0.6 release into this folder

6.  Rename MediaBrowser.Updater.exe to MediaBrowser.Updater.exe.old in the system folder.

EMBY will be able to run normally. One additional thing I do is I use the main.js from 3.0.8 with version 3.0.6 as this addresses some application focus issues when I use an external player for DVD rips. main.js is located in C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\electronapp

• Like 1

rikiwi

Thanks to @@WalBob I followed his instructions and installed version 3.0.6

At first it wouldn't run, then for some reason I chose to run the Compatibility Trouble shooter (I haven't used this for ages) I chose to use the new settings which were for Windows8 (I'm on Windows 10).

And now this version is working perfectly and showing the ui overlay when I move my mouse.

Ive been using Emby with chromecast for months when watching stuff in my lounge.

Thanks for the tip.

I also tried running version 3.0.8 using compatibility mode without success.

Let me know if you need more info.

I hope this will help others.

shpitz461

Noticed this as well, lately OSD will not appear during playback. Running Windows 7 with an i5-4250u (Intel Graphics 5000), Theatre v3.0.8.

As suggested, I went back to v3.0.6 and it appears to be working fine now (testing remotely).

All I did was:

1. uninstall and delete 3.0.8 folder (in appdata\roaming)

2. unpack the 3.0.6 x64 zip

3. create a shortcut to Emby.Theatre.exe

4. edit system.xml under <folder where emby 3.0.6 was extracted to>\config\ and set <EnableAutoUpdate> to false.

NitDawg

Thanks for the instructions WalBob.

I am brand spanking new to ET and I was confused as all get out when I installed 3.0.8. There had to be something missing. I am on Win8.1x64 intel HD4600. Overlay is there after downgrade.

farsite

Luke - just to add to the data - I have an i7-3770K with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics dual boot win 7 & 10 64 bit (fully updated)- both video drivers updated today from the NVIDIA site. Both have Emby Server 4.2.1.0 and Theater 3.0.8.0 with identical settings.

With Win 7, no overlay shows but all controls work if you can find them.  With Win 10, the overlay is there as normal,

Obviously, the hardware is identical and as far as I can tell, the only difference is in the OS 

Good luck !!!

farsite

Some additional info -- my system has  intel HD4000 graphics built in so I disabled the NVIDIA and redid the tests using the intel graphics.  Exactly the same results.

Win 7 doesn't show the overlay but the controls function and Win 10 looks & works normally.

BTW, playing movies using the emby server (firefox) works normally for both graphics drivers and both operating systems - for me, the problem seems to affect only emby theater.

Hope this helps

Hi, I'm new here.  I too have the 'no overlay' issue on ET 3.0.8.  I just tried the test build 3.0.9 from the thread Doofus linked, and the issue is still there. If you know where the overlay controls are, clicking in that space works, but the controls aren't visible on screen. 

I am on Server 4.2.1.0, and contrary to the other users, I am on Windows 10 Home 64 bit (1903) and use onboard Intel HD 530 graphics.

ET 3.0.6 works for me.

• Like 1

Marc_G

Thanks @@n7of9 for this report.

Given you still experience no overlay on a system similar to mine I think I will pass on trying out 3.0.9. I appreciate this useful post!

I will be releasing 3.0.9 soon and I did not expect it impact this.

I think sometime in the fall is a realistic timeline to resolve this as we're going to have to change some of the technology used in the windows app. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Oooo... Does that mean a new API for the overlay? I hope so. Full screen exclusivity would be nice :D Or any window exclusivity would be great :D

Edited by Doofus

farsite

Also tried 3.0.9 with same results as above - no overlay in win 7 x64 but working in win 10 (1809) x64 - Intel & NVIDIA

Go figure ... n7of9 has a slightly newer build of win 10 & better Intel graphics but hers won't show the overlay.

Must be driving your developers crazy

• Like 1