Overlay missing on 3.0.8

csadoian

Senna

After a clean install of the previous driver, everything appears to be working again....

I'm on latest 430.86 (GTX1060 6GB) and 3.0.8 and got no issues now.

But before, I did had issues with the overlay. but only when stopping a movie, where applications in background were visible briefly through the overlay.

Guest asrequested

I'm on latest 430.86 (GTX1060 6GB) and 3.0.8 and got no issues now.

But before, I did had issues with the overlay. but only when stopping a movie, where applications in background were visible briefly through the overlay.

Yeah, what I didn't get around to doing was a clean install of the latest driver. That may have been the better test to have done. I'll give it a whirl, tonight.

Senna

For me, I'm on Intel graphics with an i5-6600. Is there likely anything I can do, other than keep using 3.0.6 ET?

For now, it looks like an Emby Theater issue with Intel drivers.

My i5-6500 (Intel HD Graphics 530) is on 26.20.100.6891 and with that driver no overlay is present in 3.0.8, while with NVIDIA latest (430.86), overlay is present.

Marc_G

For now, it looks like an Emby Theater issue with Intel drivers.

My i5-6500 (Intel HD Graphics 530) is on 26.20.100.6891 and with that driver no overlay is present in 3.0.8, while with NVIDIA latest (430.86), overlay is present.

This makes sense. I have not yet tried my recent i5-9600 build, but I imagine it suffers as well. Will test tonight if possible. I built this PC as my desktop machine in February; it is up to date and very stock.

Guest asrequested

There are others reporting the issue with Nvidia, so it's a little more complicated than only the Intel drivers. It's seems to be present in win 7 drivers for Nvidia and some Intel drivers on win 10.

blade005

There are others reporting the issue with Nvidia, so it's a little more complicated than only the Intel drivers. It's seems to be present in win 7 drivers for Nvidia and some Intel drivers on win 10.

One (1) Win7 machine with Intel drivers and OVERLAY ISSUE on ET 3.08

Two (2) Win10 machines with Intel drivers and OVERLAY ISSUE on ET 3.08

There really does not seem to be one Video Driver or Windows Version to nail this down to.

Guest asrequested

Just did a clean install of the latest Nvidia driver, and so far so good. Maybe it was broken driver elements?

Guest asrequested

And I just tried on one of my machines that has an i7 6700k, no overlay.

Edited by Doofus

Marc_G

I installed ET on my desktop PC that is a recent build i5-9600k, with HD630 graphics. Overlay seems to work fine as far as I can tell. My i5-6600k with HD530 is the one that I can't get it to work on.

Marc_G

Oh one more thing: I checked on the i5-6600k system for a driver update; found one. Applied it. No change in the missing overlay problem on 3.0.8. Still have to use 3.0.6.  For what it's worth I also did an update today to bring server to the latest stable version so I know that's not a problem.

TheShanMan

I haven't seen the player overlay in quite some time... months I'd say but I'm not sure very precisely. I also can't see the minimize/maximize/close buttons in the upper right corner but they're there. The mouse cursor changes when I'm over those spots and clicking those spots works.

I tried over-installing Theater by downloading the installer because I saw something here about trying that.

I'm running in Windows 7 and have Intel HD drivers. If there are other things I need to report, let me know. Or if there are other things I need to try, let me know. I haven't read the whole thread so I've probably missed some relevant info.

mentasm

Are we making any progress on this issue?  It's super annoying and has been an issue for so long now.  No overly keen on backing out to 3.0.6 and having to disable autoupdates.

TheShanMan

What are the downsides to downgrading? Were there important changes after 3.0.6? And how do you choose which version gets installed, and disable auto updates?

jellowe

What are the downsides to downgrading? Were there important changes after 3.0.6? And how do you choose which version gets installed, and disable auto updates?

No down side to downgrading. Look back on page 2 of this thread and there are instructions on how to do it and how to block the auto update.

• Like 1

mentasm

How can this be still broken two months on?  Its not just a small bug.  It really needs resolving.  It really harms the use of ET for those of us effected

• Like 1

How can this be still broken two months on?  Its not just a small bug.  It really needs resolving.  It really harms the use of ET for those of us effected

We are actively working on it, it is just not an easy fix unfortunately. You can still use 3.0.6 in the meantime. Thanks.

• Like 1

Marc_G

Out of curiosity, what intentional changes between .6 and .8 were made, that caused the problem? Thanks for continuing to pursue the fix.

All of the window management simplifications that resolved a number of other issues but unfortunately caused this one.

• Like 1

otatv

I had posted this in the server forum but it's been moved to Theater where I now see it's the same issue as Overlay missing on 3.0.8

Currently trying out live TV.  I thought it was odd when viewing live or recordings in Theater, there are no play controls or progress bar displaying when pausing or moving the cursor. Then after trying to get subtitles to work by trying to force them to display in the settings (which didn't work but haven't looked more into that yet), this seems to trigger the opposite to sometimes happen... the bottom play control section will appear and above it my Win desktop displays without the video displaying, and, I can hear the audio. Seems the video and play control sections are at odds with each other.  When the video does display, then when exiting the video I can see the play controls flash by from left to right.

Win 8.1 Pro

Server 4.1.1.0

Theater 3.0.8

Edited by otatv

davesurfer

I've been having problems with Theater for over a month, probably longer. I went to an older version and that works for now--kinda. I was having problems with no overlay, and also with the Windows taskbar showing up. The older version, sometimes I get the spinning wheel, have to restart it. I usually expect something to not work whenever we watch something now :(

I think I'm going to update my HTPC system from W8 to W10, maybe that will fix things who knows.

Spinning wheel, nothing displaying for TV or movies:

5d1042589263a_Clip_9.jpg

Edited by davesurfer

Marc_G

I've been having problems with Theater for over a month, probably longer. I went to an older version and that works for now--kinda. I was having problems with no overlay, and also with the Windows taskbar showing up. The older version, sometimes I get the spinning wheel, have to restart it. I usually expect something to not work whenever we watch something now :(

I think I'm going to update my HTPC system from W8 to W10, maybe that will fix things who knows.

My system is Win10 and has the no overlay issue on my Intel HD530 graphics system (i5-6600). However following advice and leaving the system at 3.0.6 has kept it running smoothly. I recommend doing that.

Win10 beats Win8 hands down so proceed to upgrade for sure but I don't think it fixes any of the overlay issues.

davesurfer

My system is Win10 and has the no overlay issue on my Intel HD530 graphics system (i5-6600). However following advice and leaving the system at 3.0.6 has kept it running smoothly. I recommend doing that.

Win10 beats Win8 hands down so proceed to upgrade for sure but I don't think it fixes any of the overlay issues.

Yeah so I'm running 3.0.6, but as instructed to, I extracted it to a folder on C:\ and just run the .exe from there, it wasn't installed. Is that how you run it? Also, when I double-click on the emby.theater.exe, it doesn't run. Then when I double-click on it again, it runs. why the heck does it do that? 

Edited by davesurfer

Marc_G

Yeah so I'm running 3.0.6, but as instructed to, I extracted it to a folder on C:\ and just run the .exe from there, it wasn't installed. Is that how you run it? Also, when I double-click on the emby.theater.exe, it doesn't run. Then when I double-click on it again, it runs. why the heck does it do that?

It's exactly the same for me. Have to double click it twice. However, i leave it up and only have to restart Emby when the system reboots once in a while for updates or whatever.

davesurfer

It's exactly the same for me. Have to double click it twice. However, i leave it up and only have to restart Emby when the system reboots once in a while for updates or whatever.

Oh ok, so it's not just me lol. Yeah I leave it running too. It would be nice to have it run automatically on startup, but oh well.