Overlay missing on 3.0.8

csadoian

davesurfer

Hey where can I download the working 3.0.6 version? I don't have the link for Github thanks! Mine's still not working, and fast forward doesn't work either, and the windows taskbar is always displayed. I've tried it from the mobile app and everything works there.

Edited by davesurfer

davesurfer

Thanks! It's there a procedure I need to follow or just uninstall Theater and install this older one?

Marc_G

Good lord, Emby!!

How could this release have made it out into the wild? I'm a Win 10 Pro, up to date on i5-6600, and was prepping for "movie night" since tonight's flick has subtitles and I wanted to make sure everything was set to use the right track.  ET decided to update itself, and now no overlay controls to actually change subtitles in the middle of the playback.

This version should have been PULLED a week ago, as I read from this thread that the problem has been going on a while ago. This is why
I hate forced updates.

Now I have to fiddle with installing version .6 and hope it doesnt auto update again before the movie  in a little while.

PLEASE GIVE US AN EASY WAY TO TURN OFF UPDATES. When my system is working, I don't want it changing around.

• Like 2

Mbedford

Hi all, mine is now fixed, overlay is back, all functioning as per normal, but my fix wont help you all im sorry.

It was by coincidence that it was fixed by a hardware upgrade. I upgraded my 4 year old intel i3 with built in HD Graphics 530, this had the no overlay issue.

I upgraded to a latest generation intel i7 with built in UHD graphics 630, no changes to emby theater, still showing version 3.0.8 and overlay is now all working.

Sorry this isn't a fix for you all, im guessing the Emby dev's all have newer hardware so thats why they didn't find this issue when testing.

I do have a new issue now with my Haupage Quad TV tuner not working, but im sure thats a separate issue that I may open another thread if I cant get working in the next 24 hours.

csadoian

Hi all, mine is now fixed, overlay is back, all functioning as per normal, but my fix wont help you all im sorry.

It was by coincidence that it was fixed by a hardware upgrade. I upgraded my 4 year old intel i3 with built in HD Graphics 530, this had the no overlay issue.

I upgraded to a latest generation intel i7 with built in UHD graphics 630, no changes to emby theater, still showing version 3.0.8 and overlay is now all working.

Sorry this isn't a fix for you all, im guessing the Emby dev's all have newer hardware so thats why they didn't find this issue when testing.

I do have a new issue now with my Haupage Quad TV tuner not working, but im sure thats a separate issue that I may open another thread if I cant get working in the next 24 hours.

So I assume you changed out the whole computer, including a different installation of Windows, right?  What version of Windows, and did you install all the latest updates before successfully running 3.0.8?

• Like 1

davesurfer

Mine only worked when reverting to Theater 3.0.6. I'm disabling auto updates on the server for now.

Mbedford

So I assume you changed out the whole computer, including a different installation of Windows, right?  What version of Windows, and did you install all the latest updates before successfully running 3.0.8?

No, I just swapped out the CPU & motherboard for a new one. Didn't reinstall windows or have to do a windows repair, nothing. obviously it detected a new intel graphics chip and so installed a new Intel graphics driver.

But to confirm, I didn't touch my Emby installation/config.

csadoian

Mine only worked when reverting to Theater 3.0.6. I'm disabling auto updates on the server for now.

Disabling updates on the server won't stop Emby Theater from updating itself.  However, I have found that if you go into the Emby Theater folder and rename the program MediaBrowser.Updater.exe to something else the update won't be installed.  Emby Theater will DOWNLOAD any new versions, but it won't install them.

See my Post #41 in this thread for more information.

csadoian

No, I just swapped out the CPU & motherboard for a new one. Didn't reinstall windows or have to do a windows repair, nothing. obviously it detected a new intel graphics chip and so installed a new Intel graphics driver.

But to confirm, I didn't touch my Emby installation/config.

Since this involved a motherboard swap it's hard to say what made the difference.  It could be the graphics hardware (likely), or it could be something in the chipset, or generation of CPU, etc.

How did you maintain licensing if it was a motherboard swap?  Windows will allow you to change certain components without re-licensing (hard drive, memory, etc) but motherboard swaps generally require a whole new license if you keep the same Windows installation.

Mbedford

Since this involved a motherboard swap it's hard to say what made the difference.  It could be the graphics hardware (likely), or it could be something in the chipset, or generation of CPU, etc.

How did you maintain licensing if it was a motherboard swap?  Windows will allow you to change certain components without re-licensing (hard drive, memory, etc) but motherboard swaps generally require a whole new license if you keep the same Windows installation.

Negative, done this many times before, a 15 min phone call to MS support, explain the hardware upgrade, and they will reactive your windows.

csadoian

Negative, done this many times before, a 15 min phone call to MS support, explain the hardware upgrade, and they will reactive your windows.

Gotcha ... still amazed that you can take an installed Windows 10 image and move it to another computer without it crashing.  I used to do this back in the XP days, but even then it was a crap shoot. as to whether or not it would blue screen.  Setting the video drive to standard VGA before you moved the image at least gave you a fighting chance.

Mbedford

Setting the video drive to standard VGA before you moved the image at least gave you a fighting chance.

Nope didn't have to do that, Win10 is pretty clever to adjust to hardware changes. Been building/upgrading PC's for 20 years now, so much easier nowadays :)

Anyway, hope the Emby dev's can find an overlay fix for the rest of you.

csadoian

@@Luke

Here's something that may or may not help.  I have a "test bed" system I maintain that utilizes an external swap-able drive bay, and I have boot drives in several flavors of Windows & Linux that I can easy swap in and out on the same hardware.

This system is based on relatively old hardware (i've had it for a while).  It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce 8400GS for video.  I booted it up in Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and ran Emby-Theater 3.0.8 and it had the overlay issue.  I then booted it up with my Windows 10 Pro 32 bit boot drive and ran 3.0.8 on it and it worked fine, no overlay issue.  Very strange the results would be different on the same hardware.  Seems to point to an issue with the OS, although I believe there have been a couple in this thread that have reported the issue on machines running Windows 10.

Both OSs are fully patched as of today.

I rechecked and I have two Windows tablets (one is a Dell Venue Pro, the other is a "no-name" brand), a Lenovo Yoga 13 laptop, Acer Spin SP111 netbook and a HP Pavilion 15-au023cl laptop all running Windows 10 and NONE of them have the overlay issue with 3.0.8 (I know, I have a lot of laptops, I repair them for a living :) ).  The only systems that I have that have the overlay issue are running Windows 7.

jellowe

I am experiencing the same issue starting when theater updated to 3.0.8. I am running windows server 2012r2 and using ATI HD5770 video card. OSD does not display but I can hover the mouse over where the controls should be and the pointer turns to a hand icon and I can do things like toggle captions, etc.

pgriffith

For what it's worth, 3 machines here, all have auto updated to 3.08. Windows 10 1809 is fine, the other 2 are Win 8.1 and both are missing the overlay.

blade005

For what it's worth, 3 machines here, all have auto updated to 3.08. Windows 10 1809 is fine, the other 2 are Win 8.1 and both are missing the overlay.

Doesn't seem to be one root cause for this overlay issue.

Three (3) machines here updated to 3.08. Two (2) Windows 10 1809 machines are missing the overlay. One (1) Windows 7 machine missing the overlay. All are utilizing Intel HD motherboard graphics. But, others in this thread have reported issues with graphics hardware other than Intel HD.

Drop all three (3) machines back to Emby Theater 3.06 and the previous version of Electron and missing overlay is corrected.

pgriffith

Fortunately I am using a IR remote with all machines, so the overlay missing is not really an issue, as I don't need to see the controls to pause/fw/rw etc. But keyboard users, yeah that's be a pain. So staying with 3.08 until Luke releases a fix.

Guest asrequested

It must be GPU related. Both of my machines are Win 10 and have Nvidia GPUs with the latest drivers, and the overlay is as expected.

csadoian

It must be GPU related. Both of my machines are Win 10 and have Nvidia GPUs with the latest drivers, and the overlay is as expected.

That wouldn't explain my post # 67 in this thread.  Exact same hardware, the only difference was the OS.  Win 7 no overlay, Win 10 overlay ok.  GPU is NVidia using the latest drivers.

In reading this thread there have been a mixture of the issue being reported on multiple OS, different GPU hardware, etc.  Some have the issue with Windows 7, some not.  Same with Windows 10 and the various GPUs.  Hard to put your finger on an exact configuration that causes the problem.

Guest asrequested

That wouldn't explain my post # 67 in this thread.  Exact same hardware, the only difference was the OS.  Win 7 no overlay, Win 10 overlay ok.  GPU is NVidia using the latest drivers.

In reading this thread there have been a mixture of the issue being reported on multiple OS, different GPU hardware, etc.  Some have the issue with Windows 7, some not.  Same with Windows 10 and the various GPUs.  Hard to put your finger on an exact configuration that causes the problem.

I should clarify. Modern Nvidia GPUs. I have a GTX 1050 and a GTX 1060