Overlay missing on 3.0.8

csadoian

csadoian

On Emby Theater 3.0.8 when I play a media file the overlay is missing on the screen.  No back arrow, no playback controls, etc.  The controls are there, however.  When I move my mouse to where they are supposed to be the arrow changes to a hand, indicating the controls are still there (and I can click on them),  they are just not being shown on the screen.

This happens when in DESKTOP display mode.

Another machine running Emby Theater 3.0.6 does not exhibit this problem, so I assume the bug was introduced in 3.0.8.

• Like 2

csadoian

Hi, is windows up to date as well as your graphics drivers? What GPU do you have?

Yes, Windows is up to date.  Not positive about the graphics drivers, will take a look at that.

Attached is my system audit.

config.html

csadoian

Hi, is windows up to date as well as your graphics drivers? What GPU do you have?

I just forced my laptop (a Lenovo Yoga 13 with a Core i7 and INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4000) to update to 3.0.8 and it does not have this issue.

I will check to see if there are newer video drivers for the Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 and get back to you.  Might also try to uninstall and then reinstall Emby Theater.

csadoian

Nvidia drivers are up to date.  Removed and then reinstalled a fresh copy of Emby Theater.  No difference.  I will check on another computer I have that has Nvidia graphics.

csadoian

Tested on another computer running Windows 7 and has Nvidia GeForce GT 710 graphics.  It exhibits the same issue.  Nvidia related?

Edited by csadoian

csadoian

What version of Windows!

Sorry, that info was in the system audit I sent, but it's way down at the bottom.  Windows 7 Pro x64.  Both computers I tested have this version of Windows and are fully patched.

The Lenovo laptop I mentioned that DOES NOT have the issue is Windows 10 Pro X64, but does not use Nvidia graphics it uses Intel Graphics.

Mbedford

Hi, exactly same issue for me also after the new 3.0.8 update (it auto updated itself). No overlay when playing show/movie, but moving the mouse down the bottom the mouse pointer changes to the hand symbol.

I've just updated to latest Intel video driver and made sure all windows 10 updates are installed, still no overlay.

Any help pls.

csadoian

Hi, exactly same issue for me also after the new 3.0.8 update (it auto updated itself). No overlay when playing show/movie, but moving the mouse down the bottom the mouse pointer changes to the hand symbol.

I've just updated to latest Intel video driver and made sure all windows 10 updates are installed, still no overlay.

Any help pls.

Interesting that it's occurring on your system with Intel-based graphics.  In my case I have only seen it happening on systems with Nvidia graphics.

What is your specific Intel graphics hardware?

FWIW, just for fun I tested Emby Theater on Windows 10 in a Virtual Box virtual machine and it also had was missing the overlay in the playback window.  Admittedly the virtual machine was running on the same computer that is having the problem in native mode, but it was still interesting the overlay was missing.  Virtual Box uses a "Virtual Box VGA Graphics Controller", whatever that emulates.

For the time being I am using the web app in Google Chrome as a work around, but I much prefer Emby Theater since the video playback is so much smoother.

Haven't received any feedback from Luke or any other members of the development team as to whether or not they have been able to reproduce the problem.  Can't fix it unless they can duplicate the problem.

Any help pls.

Same here, also IGPU

IndianaGeorge

Same problem:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD APU with iGPU DISABLED

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

Latest video driver

Win 7 Mar 2019 updates

I was redirected to this post for assistance

I have used Emby Theater for about 2 weeks and as of yesterday, the overlay navigation stopped showing.

The buttons are there, you just cannot see them. If you move the mouse to the correct position you can do skip back, forward, pause, settings info, go back to main menu. It is there, you just cant see the controls as they are "behind" the video.

Nothing was changed on the client app or my computer on my end and this stopped showing on its own. No Windows updates, no other programs added or removed. No driver changes.

I do not know if the Emby Theater client updated itself as it never threw any update window or message and I did not check if what I installed 2 weeks ago was the same version I see now, which is 3.0.8

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bits

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Emby Theater, latest build as of today 3.0.8

When the issue happened I read this thread "https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56802-gui-overlay/page-4"and:

-tried uninstalling deleting all app information on the uninstaller, and installing the latest build (did not fix)

-tried installing the latest video card drivers for NVIDIA (did not fix)

-tried changing setting to use Open GL and other specified hardware video acceleration (did not fix)

-from the web browser I was also not able to get the controls displayed

At the exact moment the issue showed for the first time, I opened a video and it took too long or maybe got stuck as my internet connection was full on the upload bandwidth. While it was waiting for video to load, it was a black screen. When I liberated the upload bandwidth by stopping what I was doing, the video started, but with no navigation controls. I "hard" closed the app with right click close Emby from the taskbar of windows (at the moment did not realize the buttons were still there just hidden from sight)

Closing the app and opening should have fixed this I though, but it did not.

I though then that the app had corrupted somehow so a full uninstall and clean install would definitely fix this. It did not.

This is specific to this machine only as my laptop works correctly, but it is a Windows 10 OS. They both have the same Emby Theater build though.

My scenario matches what is mentioned in this thread. Issue started in its own as of April 26 on a Windows 7 machine with NVIDIA GPU, while another computer on Windows 10 without NVIDIA continues to work. 2 factors here to check on, NVIDIA, and Windows 7.

Edited by Nidas

csadoian

Seems to be more people experiencing the overlay problem with Emby Theater when the OS is Windows 7.  Aside from Mbedford who states he is using Windows 10, everyone else in this thread reports the problem occurring on the Windows 7 platform.

Darktree

Same problem here:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, latest drivers.

Emby Theater, just updated was working okay yesterday.

csadoian

I imagine that if you guys dropped back to electron 4.1.5, it works?

Nope, not for me.

Downloaded electron-v4.1.5-win32-x64.zip.  Went to ..AppData/Roaming/Emby-Theater/system/X64 and renamed electron folder to electron.old.  Made new electron folder and unzipped the contents of 4.1.5 into the folder, then tested.  No difference.

Guest asrequested

Curious. Then it must have something to do with the window management??? And It doesn't appear either when windowed or fullscreen?

csadoian

Curious. Then it must have something to do with the window management??? And It doesn't appear either when windowed or fullscreen?

Getting into fullscreen mode is an adventure when you can't see the controls :)

In any case, it doesn't make a difference.  No overlay visible in Windowed or fullscreen mode.

I did note something interesting that may or may not help.  I have a Windows 7 Virtual Machine under Virtual Box.  I installed Emby Theater on it, and when I attempt to play something the video comes up with no overlay, but as I move the mouse around I can see the overlay flickering on towards the bottom half of the screen.  Only for a moment, though.  I assume I can see the momentary flash of the overlay because the OS running in the virtual machine is a bit sluggish when compared to a native computer.  I assume this is also happening on a native computer, but it's happening too fast for my eye to see it.  Maybe?  :)

Guest asrequested

You can double click the space below the clock. Interestingly, I just discovered that if you double click the very top edge, it maximizes instead of going to full screen, leaving the taskbar visible. But I doubt that is related to the issue.

csadoian

You can double click the space below the clock. Interestingly, I just discovered that if you double click the very top edge, it maximizes instead of going to full screen, leaving the taskbar visible. But I doubt that is related to the issue.

Yeah, I knew that.  Doesn't seem to be related to the issue in any case.  Thanks for your suggestions.

I do notice that when the overlay works correctly every movement of the mouse makes the overlay visible and appears to start a 5 second timer.  After 5 seconds the overlay disappears until mouse movement is detected again.  I don't know if this is an O/S thing or if Emby is doing all the heavy lifting, but perhaps this mechanism is the issue?

Edited by csadoian

Mbedford

Hi, yes im on windows 10 x64, latest build, all updates applied.

Can report the overlay doesn't show full screen or in a window.

My on-board graphics is Intel HD Graphics 530, latest driver installed.

I have used it in fullscreen or windows mode. Issue persists on both.

Can Emby just rollback to previous version that was working?

Assuming it is 3.0.7

AdamPhillips

Same problem here, started yesterday

Emby Theater 3.08

Windows 7 64bit

Nvidia GTX 750

All drivers and updates current

My Windows 10 machine is not affected

Edited by AdamPhillips