Add DV, Atmos, DTS:X, HDR10+, HLG information to database

FrostByte

roaku

Things get confusing quickly when a Feature Request thread starts having to pull double duty as a plugin design thread.

Might help to separate them.

FrostByte
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

No it isn't.  Apparently, you've missed the intermediate discussion.  They are talking about a stop gap solution Cheese is working on in a plug-in.

@ebr is correct the intent was for the track information to include DTS:X, Atmos, DV, HDR10+, etc, etc but it had to be included in the mediainfo/db first in order for Emby to update the track information

Edit: then you can add things like badges, etc for the new codecs to clients.  

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Try to do something good.

Forget it...... wait for Emby core to implement the features

Bunch of Armchair coders and do gooders.

image.jpeg.5cd221102610853cbf6f1cb3427bc230.jpeg

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

CBers
21 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Try to do something good.

Forget it...... wait for Emby core to implement the features

Bunch of Armchair coders and do gooders.

image.jpeg.5cd221102610853cbf6f1cb3427bc230.jpeg

Pull your finger out Dave and get it sorted mate 😂

Sorry if I confused it a bit 😕

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
23 minutes ago, CBers said:

Pull your finger out Dave and get it sorted mate 😂

Sorry if I confused it a bit 😕

Keith it's not you at all mate, it's just all the negativity that surrounds someone trying to help and improve things.

the plugin is about 95% complete, just need to do some some UI stuff and it will be ready.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Keith it's not you at all mate, it's just all the negativity that surrounds someone trying to help and improve things.

Do you mean that I would have been too negative?

Cheesegeezer
6 hours ago, softworkz said:

Do you mean that I would have been too negative?

I’m not byting fella. 
theres 2 sides, upbeat or unhappy… when is ffprobe gonna get to the level of detection mediaInfo is at? Its a stop gap.

its done anyways. Not worth releasing it, as I’m already disappointed before it’s even out.

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
FrostByte

Any chance the core will start to recognize and display at least part of this request soon?  ffprobe has been able to detect Dovi and the profile for a while now

This information could be used in media labels, SFN, media info, and determining playback capability for things like if your TV doesn't support DV profile 5.  Even plugins like Cover Art could start using this information.

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 1920x802, SAR 1:1 DAR 960:401, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn (default)
    Metadata:
      BPS             : 10661708
      DURATION        : 01:58:51.166000000
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 170977
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 9503801906
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP: mkvmerge v71.1.0 ('Fortitude') 64-bit
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC: 2022-11-07 22:42:12
      _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
    Side data:
      DOVI configuration record: version: 1.0, profile: 8, level: 3, rpu flag: 1, el flag: 0, bl flag: 1, compatibility id: 1

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
6 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Any chance the core will start to recognize and display at least part of this request soon?  ffprobe has been able to detect Dovi and the profile for a while now

This information could be used in media labels, SFN, media info, and determining playback capability for things like if your TV doesn't support DV profile 5.  Even plugins like Cover Art could start using this information.

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 1920x802, SAR 1:1 DAR 960:401, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn (default)
    Metadata:
      BPS             : 10661708
      DURATION        : 01:58:51.166000000
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 170977
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 9503801906
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP: mkvmerge v71.1.0 ('Fortitude') 64-bit
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC: 2022-11-07 22:42:12
      _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
    Side data:
      DOVI configuration record: version: 1.0, profile: 8, level: 3, rpu flag: 1, el flag: 0, bl flag: 1, compatibility id: 1

@softworkz  what do you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

@softworkz  what do you think?

Preparations have been made a while ago.

The new enums are part of the public (plugin) API:

Emby.Media.Model.Enums.ExtendedVideoSubtypes
Emby.Media.Model.Enums.HdrBaseFormats

That's just one part, though. Next step is to extend the database for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
MSI2017
On 11/27/2022 at 5:00 PM, softworkz said:

Preparations have been made a while ago.

The new enums are part of the public (plugin) API:

Emby.Media.Model.Enums.ExtendedVideoSubtypes
Emby.Media.Model.Enums.HdrBaseFormats

That's just one part, though. Next step is to extend the database for this.

Would that also make it possible for Emby to automatically serve a different version of a file based on device capabilities? I know that currently you can choose the version yourself but it would be cool if I can have a DV version for my LG tv (and hopefully macbook once that gets fixed) a HDR10 version for HDR10 capable devices and 1080p for the rest. At the moment it will try to play DV on a smartphone and tonemapp, serve the HDR10 file to a non-HDR capable device resorting to tonemapping etc.

I'd even be totally cool having an advanced tab and just manually adjusting it for every connected device, that would be an awesome temporary solution. Right now I make multiple libraries and hide them per device user.

42 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

Would that also make it possible for Emby to automatically serve a different version of a file based on device capabilities? I know that currently you can choose the version yourself

The ability to have multiple versions of a media item is a kind of multi-purpose feature. It can be used for:

• Different edits (e.g. 'Director's Cut')
  • Different ratings (e.g. 'uncut' vs. rated)
  • Different sources (e.g. BD vs. DVD vs. TV recording)
  • Different storage locations (server vs. downloaded to device vs. cloud storage)
  • Different language versions
  • Different resolutions
  • Different codecs
  • Different color ranges
  • etc.

It's all up to the user how to make use of this feature.

From my point of view, it's pretty difficult to create some auto-selection rules that satisfy everybody's needs and expectations. I fear that such functionality would do more wrong than right. I don't know how @Luke see's it..

• 3 weeks later...
Pejamas
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

DV information will be captured in Emby Server 4.8. Thanks guys.

Are you talking about retail release or in an upcoming beta version?

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, Pejamas said:

Are you talking about retail release or in an upcoming beta version?

Don't know which beta it will or is in but will be in the 4.8 release.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Will it be a general information or as detailed as Cheese' plugin?

MSI2017
5 hours ago, Luke said:

That's awesome Luke, thanks for the hard work!

rbjtech
1 hour ago, neik said:

Will it be a general information or as detailed as Cheese' plugin?

The detail will be available and I'd imagine they need it to make decisions on transcoding etc - but whether they display this detail to the user is another matter.  I would probably not display it by default, just DV should be sufficient (along with the HDR flag as well if relevant).  If you want the detail - then look in the Media Info for that item.

If emby started displaying DV5, DV7 blah blah - it will likely cause support calls as the majority are not going to know what that even means  .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSI2017
On 1/11/2023 at 3:41 AM, Luke said:

Handling of DV profile 8 is interesting. Especially dv.08.06. This is a Dolby Vision file with HDR10 fallback. My LG tv for example plays in DV and my MacBook (I guess but Apple doesn't say) plays HDR10. The benefit here is that when watching on SDR displays the content can still be tonemapped to SDR (although I still have the green line bug), which is not possible with profile 5. I have noticed however that on Android it doesn't go to HDR10 but seems to try to Play the DolbyVision part, resulting in the green and purple hues. 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
22 hours ago, MSI2017 said:

Handling of DV profile 8 is interesting. Especially dv.08.06. This is a Dolby Vision file with HDR10 fallback. My LG tv for example plays in DV and my MacBook (I guess but Apple doesn't say) plays HDR10. The benefit here is that when watching on SDR displays the content can still be tonemapped to SDR (although I still have the green line bug), which is not possible with profile 5. I have noticed however that on Android it doesn't go to HDR10 but seems to try to Play the DolbyVision part, resulting in the green and purple hues. 

The DV standards are well defined - I blame the 'hacking' of the sources to get them into DV8 containers - all the tools to do this are unofficial as Dolby is a licensed product.

To really test if your system is officially DV compatible - you need to use the official files from Dolby below.

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/dolby-vision-streams/

if these work but your file does not, then it's the file that's the issue ...

• Like 2

MSI2017
On 1/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, rbjtech said:

The DV standards are well defined - I blame the 'hacking' of the sources to get them into DV8 containers - all the tools to do this are unofficial as Dolby is a licensed product.

To really test if your system is officially DV compatible - you need to use the official files from Dolby below.

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/dolby-vision-streams/

No, you can find a lot of official dvhe.08.06 stuff, it seems to be a new way of handling it for good reason. Plus eventhough your system might be DV compatible (like my 2022 MBook) it might not support it in every way. I need it to be specific Profile 5 mp4 files that I run through subler first (but than again streaming them still does not work). My LG OLED for example won't accept an MKV Dolby Vision stream. So nothing hacky about that. Dolby Vision is just quite confusing and honestly a bit of a mess support wise.

MSI2017
On 1/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, rbjtech said:

HDR10 fallback is an official DV. Profile8.X is cross-compatible. 1 stand for HDR, 2 for SDR and 3 for HLG. 8.0 would mean no cross-compatibility. Just DV. I am not sure if ffprobe shows this. I am aware that MediaInfo does not list it, it would just say dvhe08.06 where the .06 only stands for level 6 meaning 4K@24Hz with a bitrate up to 130 Mbps. This cross-compatibilty is a huge storage saver for companies like Netlfix who can now use just a single file for both DV and HDR10 users. And as said before, once the green line issues is resolved it helps a lot for emby tonemapping as well.

@Lukemight help?

rbjtech
3 hours ago, MSI2017 said:

No, you can find a lot of official dvhe.08.06 stuff, it seems to be a new way of handling it for good reason. Plus eventhough your system might be DV compatible (like my 2022 MBook) it might not support it in every way. I need it to be specific Profile 5 mp4 files that I run through subler first (but than again streaming them still does not work). My LG OLED for example won't accept an MKV Dolby Vision stream. So nothing hacky about that. Dolby Vision is just quite confusing and honestly a bit of a mess support wise.

I never said dvhe 8.06 is not official - it is as it's listed in their profile documentation.  I said that people are hacking files together from streaming sources - NF as an example stream DV5 and HDR10 - they do not stream DV8.   People record both and then attempt to pair them together using unofficial tools to make a DV8 (to give both DV and fallback to HDR10).   There is nothing 'official' about that final file .. ;)

Streaming giants stream the best version you can play - they will stream DV5 if your system is DV compatible - If it's not, they will stream the HDR10 version.  They will not waste bandwidth streaming 'both' options and let the client 'downgrade' - thus unofficial means to create the DV8 file.

This is also the reason you see very little issue on DV7 files - they are DV with HDR10 as fallback, but they are ripped from official sources - but even those are not 100% pure DV, the same as you would get from the UHD Disk.

DV appears a mess to the end user if they are using unofficial media files - but for anybody using streaming services or UHD Disk's - DV just 'works'.

Edited by rbjtech