Add DV, Atmos, DTS:X, HDR10+, HLG information to database

FrostByte

RokuGuys
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes in the media info section.

Thanks I see it now but only for some videos. Some of them especially if it’s EAC3, doesn’t show Atmos info at all though my receiver shows it.

Also video shows as HEVC HDR10 on 4K but no Dolby Vision info.  Simply states HEVC in that case. Can that be added as well? 

Can this details be moved to the top along with video title, ratings  and other related info to avoid scroll down to media info section? Also SFN would  be a great place to add this as well.  

Definitely a good feature added. Thanks and good  job.  :)

• 1 month later...
rbjtech

So it's been 2 years+ since this was requested - I'm guessing Emby (like Plex) are not going to implement this as it's a potential license minefield with the likes of Dolby and DTS.

ffprobe does not detect it - which is part of the problem, but MediaInfo does - and I'm reasonably sure MediaInfo is not paying royalties for this..

It's a shame as Dolby Atmos is almost standard now on most releases with Dolby Vision or HDR10+ increasingly being used.

I've got this displaying fine on my system (without using embedded titles..) by just modifying the entries in the database but it's becoming a bit tedious now - I should probably try and use the emby API in conjunction with MediaInfo to automate this ...

Any thoughts ?

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
On 30/07/2019 at 15:02, ebr said:

Those are two different things.  Atmos is a layer on top of a particular audio format.  So, TrueHD is correct as the audio format.  A complete picture would be something like "TrueHD+Atmos".

Discovering that Atmos is also there is not a matter of simply reading some sort of flag.  We would have to probe the stream I believe to know it.

Actually that’s incorrect, the audio formats are object/truehd/ac3 if dolby atmos.

for DTS X it would be Object/dts-hd ma/dts

but yes you would have to probe the stream to know whats available, but that is already done in the library addition, as if there are multiple streams and languages available the are able to be selected before playing an item.

Cheesegeezer

Anyone checked HEOS content with media info? What does that show up

jsc1205

Why not enable the user to edit this info?  Emby can pull the media info how it already does, but if anything needs to be tweaked, the user can unlock it per say, just like we can already do for the metadata, and edit the audio/video codec info.  

• Like 1

rbjtech

There are actually 'codec tag' fields unused in the database - so I agree it would be good to actually put them to use and allow the user to manually add 'Atmos' or 'Vision' tags as they see fit (and emby display if they are used obviously..).

That way, emby also gets around the 'discovery' legal hurdle - as they are not using proprietary ways to discover this info, this is entirely in the users hands to populate it.

13 hours ago, jsc1205 said:

and edit the audio/video codec info

Hi.  This information is used to make playback (transcoding) decisions so we need it to be accurate and sourced from the actual video.

jsc1205
13 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This information is used to make playback (transcoding) decisions so we need it to be accurate and sourced from the actual video.

Thanks for the info ebr.  Are the Emby developers actively trying to figure out a way to accurately show the audio/video codec info without interfering with the transcoding issue?

25 minutes ago, jsc1205 said:

Thanks for the info ebr.  Are the Emby developers actively trying to figure out a way to accurately show the audio/video codec info without interfering with the transcoding issue?

What exactly is inaccurate?

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, Luke said:

What exactly is inaccurate?

I think they are referring to the object sound layer not being available. 

• Agree 1

rbjtech

@Luke Currently what emby displays is technically 'correct' - however, people want to see the full layer of detail for the stream.

ie

for Audio - they want to know if its Dolby Atmos if TrueHD or EAC3 and DTS:X if it's DTS-HD (plus other flavours of DTS:ES for example).

for Video - they want to know the HDR profile used - HDR10 (the default/fallback), Dolby Vision (+ profile), HDR10+, HLG etc

In fairness, a users AVR or TV will show them these details when they hit play .. but having them on the emby screen as filterable objects and to therefore know what to expect before you hit play should be made available.

However, ffmpeg/ffprobe does not provide this info - The only product I'm aware of that can get this extra info (through 'unofficial means') is Media Info/CLI - as Dolby nor DTS have released publicly available tools to analyse the streams.

MediaInfo CLI works well, and I have scanned my entire library to grab the details, but storing this info in emby metadata/db is proving to be a challenge as while I could store in the 'codec tag' fields - these are not currently used/displayed - so fairly pointless.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@Luke Currently what emby displays is technically 'correct' - however, people want to see the full layer of detail for the stream.

ie

for Audio - they want to know if its Dolby Atmos if TrueHD or EAC3 and DTS:X if it's DTS-HD (plus other flavours of DTS:ES for example).

for Video - they want to know the HDR profile used - HDR10 (the default/fallback), Dolby Vision (+ profile), HDR10+, HLG etc

In fairness, a users AVR or TV will show them these details when they hit play .. but having them on the emby screen as filterable objects and to therefore know what to expect before you hit play should be made available.

However, ffmpeg/ffprobe does not provide this info - The only product I'm aware of that can get this extra info (through 'unofficial means') is Media Info/CLI - as Dolby nor DTS have released publicly available tools to analyse the streams.

MediaInfo CLI works well, and I have scanned my entire library to grab the details, but storing this info in emby metadata/db is proving to be a challenge as while I could store in the 'codec tag' fields - these are not currently used/displayed - so fairly pointless.

Got it, thanks for the info.

FrostByte
On 6/3/2021 at 11:25 AM, rbjtech said:

ie

There are addons for ffmpeg that will show some of the additional information.  HDR10+ was one of them that can be added to ffmpeg, not sure if all of them can be added though.  I believe Luke was looking at doing this before

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Perfectonline

I want Cover Art to show more 4K movie options.
- 4K HDR
- 4K HDR 10
- 4K Dolby Vision
- 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos
- and more that is possible in the future

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Dx111111

DV files still show only as HEVC correct? Either that or my TV is broken. I clearly can see HDR is active, but the file says its 4K HEVC only.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:40 AM, Luke said:

What is the command you are using in CLI?

I will have to have a look at this fairly soon, I guess.

rbjtech
mediainfocli --Output=file://hdr.txt input.mkv

Where hdr.txt is a 'mediainfo cli template' of what you want to extract (there are 100's of possible parameters)

Use a recursive input file and dump the output to a file to get a usable CSV file 

General;"""%CompleteName%"""
Video;,V#%StreamKindID%,%HDR_Format%,%HDR_Format_Profile%,%HDR_Format_Level%,%HDR_Format_Settings%
Audio;,A#%StreamKindID%,%Format/String%,%Format_Commercial_IfAny%,%Channel(s)%,%Language%
\r\n

Example Fixed Field CSV Output (incl DV)

"\\media\Films 4K\1917 (2019) [tmdbid=530915]\1917 (2019) - Remux-2160p DV HDR TrueHD Atmos 7.1.mkv",V#0,4K HEVC Dolby Vision Remux,Dolby Vision / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4,dvhe.07 / ,06 / ,BL+EL+RPU / ,A#0,Dolby TrueHD 7.1 with Dolby Atmos,MLP FBA 16-ch,Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos,8,en,A#1,DTS-HD:X MA 7.1,DTS XLL,DTS-HD Master Audio,8,en,A#2,DTS 5.1,DTS,,6,en,A#3,Dolby Digital 5.1,AC-3,Dolby Digital,6,en
"\\media\Films 4K\300 (2007) [tmdbid=1271]\300 (2007) - Remux-2160p HDR TrueHD Atmos 7.1.mkv",V#0,4K HEVC HDR Remux,SMPTE ST 2086,,,,A#0,Dolby TrueHD 7.1 with Dolby Atmos,MLP FBA 16-ch,Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos,8,en,A#1,DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio,DTS XLL,DTS-HD Master Audio,8,en,A#2,Dolby Digital 5.1,AC-3,Dolby Digital,6,en

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dx111111 said:

Shouldn't that be like, uhh, fixed, by now?

AFAIK the software (ffmpeg/ffprobe) used to extract that information doesn't support it yet.
I think we will have to wait until it is implemented there as Emby depends on it - just my pov though.

As long they play fine, this is rather cosmetics - at least for me...

I noticed on the web portal of emby you can recognize you have dolby vision file there is dvhe in the codec metadata at bottom of info page
image.png.56f1b8b2e2357d161e28440c89b8426a.png

Shame that info is not where it should be:
image.png.7b408779194645c8002ffc8df736a155.png

Especially when we can't tonemap Dolby Vision its useful to know you will not be able to play that file....