Add DV, Atmos, DTS:X, HDR10+, HLG information to database

FrostByte

6 hours ago, signde said:

I stand by the data I have provided for ffprobe interval timing but I don't really care when the detection happens. I can certainly understand library scanning duration is a sensitive subject.

I only came here to prove it can be done in ffmpeg with the further goal that down the road the backend can make decisions on how to handle the metadata given that many clients have playback issues depending on the HDR information available.

I don't doubt your data. I had similar data locally when adding the additional subtitle probing and the same arguments like yours as justification.
It turned out differently. I really have no idea why it happened that this sometimes had ended up in adding even 10 or 20 seconds per file(!) for some users. My theory was that they might be using some kind of storage or storage protocols where a full copy of the file is transferred locally each time when the a file gets accessed.

Those were the extreme cases. I wanted to follow up and investigate, but Luke meant that even the "normal" increase (like the figures we've been talking about above) would be too much to add. In other words: Even 1s per file is not acceptable. It doesn't matter when that would add "only a few minutes".  A few minutes can still mean "product XY" takes less time for library scaning and as mentioned above, this is an undesired outcome.
And when people start comparing library scanning times, then it's usually those which have really huge libraries (> 100k items). And of course then they are not comparing incremental scanning - they are comparing a full library scan between Emby and XY, so it also doesn't matter that - in practical use - it's typically just scanning incrementally (new and changed files).

5 hours ago, ebr said:
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

being frank - all emby need to do is to add HDR10+ as a valid ExtendedVideoType and/or ExtendedVideoSubType (the same as they did for DV Profiles) and any Plugin/API call can just write it as HDR10+ as part of a 3rd party effort.

That's okay for display but, for playback decisions, we need the core to be in charge of the information it uses for inputs.

Yes, that's absolutely true and plugins should generally not be changing any information from the probing we do. In this case (and only in this specific case!) it wouldn't matter, because Emby doesn't behave any different depending on wether it's HDR10 or HDR10+. 

A problem though, is that a plugin might now know at which time, Emby is re-probing a file (which can happen for many reasons), which means that the value can be overwritten again by Emby at any time, so that's another reason why it's rather not a good idea for a plugin to change this. There's not much value when you can never be sure whether the video format prroperty is accurate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

rbjtech
9 hours ago, softworkz said:

Ah great - if this is the case, then while I know you don't like Plugins writing this data, as a stop gap, I'm going to attempt to add an option in the MediaInfo plugin to write the HDR10+ attribute to replace HDR10.   I'm not expecting the clients to say this, but at least the MediaInfo detail (in emby) should be accurate.

6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'm not expecting the clients to say this

I think they will.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

as a stop gap, I'm going to attempt to add an option in the MediaInfo plugin to write the HDR10+ attribute to replace HDR10.   

But remember, it's a different story than writing tags. You can't just rely on a scheduled task to write the information once and be good. The information can be overwritten again after you have set it.. You would need to implement some metadata provider which adds files to a list with items that you need to treat once again. 

rbjtech
12 minutes ago, softworkz said:

But remember, it's a different story than writing tags. You can't just rely on a scheduled task to write the information once and be good. The information can be overwritten again after you have set it.. You would need to implement some metadata provider which adds files to a list with items that you need to treat once again. 

Thanks.   I'll have a play.  The Plugin already keeps a list of what it has updated with a re-process function already built in - so I'll see if the ffprobe data gets overwritten in normal use but    I'm expecting it to during a metadata refresh.   

rbjtech
4 hours ago, softworkz said:

I think they will.

they do .. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
supermood

will emby show dv / hdr + atmos / dtsx info in this life? I don't understand these 9 pages and I cannot implement the Plugin I don't have tilhe IT skills.

but I really think in 2024 emby should show media info correctly for formats available for +5 years IN STANDARD out of the box 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, supermood said:

will emby show dv / hdr + atmos / dtsx info in this life? I don't understand these 9 pages and I cannot implement the Plugin I don't have tilhe IT skills.

but I really think in 2024 emby should show media info correctly for formats available for +5 years IN STANDARD out of the box 

Hi, for hdr+ and dv, yes, the 4.8 server release will.

supermood
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, for hdr+ and dv, yes, the 4.8 server release will.

hi thanks for fast answer! good news! partly, no atmos / dtsx? 

I am on server 4.8.0.80??!

4 minutes ago, supermood said:

hi thanks for fast answer! good news! partly, no atmos / dtsx? 

I am on server 4.8.0.80??!

atmos/dtsx will come in future updates once we have updated our ffmpeg build again.

• Thanks 1

supermood
56 minutes ago, Luke said:

atmos/dtsx will come in future updates once we have updated our ffmpeg build again.

what do I have to do to see hdr dv info with server 48080? thanks! 

32 minutes ago, supermood said:

what do I have to do to see hdr dv info with server 48080? thanks! 

Try refreshing the metadata on existing content that you had prior to updating to 4.8.

supermood
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try refreshing the metadata on existing content that you had prior to updating to 4.8.

ha! it's there already! many thanks! and filter for displaying dv movies also! fantastic!

now the same with the sound and wir are in 2024 😁 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

@izzy198888

I saw your topic on HDR10+

On the latest Relase and prior to that on the Beta - HDR10+ does show (on the AndroidTV Emby Client anyway) as I asked the same question.

Remember you may need to Refresh the metadata on that item (or the entire library if you wish), so it picks up the latest info.

The one thing it doesn't show (currently), is the fallback codecs - so it doesn't show

DOLBYVISION HDR10 

DOLBYVISION HDR10 Plus

If you want a lot of this type of detail (but all shown in the track titles) - then maybe take a look at the MediaInfo Plugin.