MS May 2019 Update, Seriously?

arche

arche

Has anyone heard about this next update? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-blocked-because-of-drive-reassignment

How many Emby users are going to get screwed up because of this update? Why release the update broken and then say future updates will fix this? Why not fix it first?

And this might screw up internal drives? I felt dumber reading this...

mgworek

Sooooooo glad I don't do IT support for windows machines and Microsoft networks anymore.

Edited by mgworek

arche

Let's also add, with this update, the minimum storage requirements are changing to 32GB. Curious how many tablets will get screwed. 

Gilgamesh_48

Has anyone heard about this next update? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-blocked-because-of-drive-reassignment

How many Emby users are going to get screwed up because of this update? Why release the update broken and then say future updates will fix this? Why not fix it first?

And this might screw up internal drives? I felt dumber reading this...

No Emby user will be hurt at all because the effected computers simply will not upgrade unless those of us with external drives, and I have a lot of them, unplug said drives.

Even if the upgrade is allowed to happen and the main problem happens the only major issue is that drives will get a different drive letter. That is easily fixed by just a few minutes of maintenance.

The only way I see changing drive letters being a problem is if one has automatically empty trash after library scan turned on. I turned that off years ago and execute it every few weeks or so manually if needed.

Sometimes panic is justified but, in this case, the worst should be a mild concern.

• Like 1

darkassassin07

I wonder if this has anything to do with why I have been unable to install two updates recently... When I try windows does its whole restart to finish applying then starts up with a notification that updates failed.

Running the troubleshooter finds aand supposedly fixes a corrupt database every single time (even when run immediately after itself).

(updates 2019-02 KB4346084 and 2019-04 KB4493464)

Suppose I'll pull all my usb devices and try.

/edit: sigh. Unfortunately not.

Edited by darkassassin07

arche

No Emby user will be hurt at all because the effected computers simply will not upgrade unless those of us with external drives, and I have a lot of them, unplug said drives.

Even if the upgrade is allowed to happen and the main problem happens the only major issue is that drives will get a different drive letter. That is easily fixed by just a few minutes of maintenance.

The only way I see changing drive letters being a problem is if one has automatically empty trash after library scan turned on. I turned that off years ago and execute it every few weeks or so manually if needed.

Sometimes panic is justified but, in this case, the worst should be a mild concern.

My concern was more the internal drive reassignment possibility and I don't have the link, but also could cause windows not to restart was also stated. I don't have any usb drives, so that's not a issue for me personally, but if it causes windows not to restart, this could be a problem. They had this issue with an update last summer.

Gilgamesh_48

My concern was more the internal drive reassignment possibility and I don't have the link, but also could cause windows not to restart was also stated. I don't have any usb drives, so that's not a issue for me personally, but if it causes windows not to restart, this could be a problem. They had this issue with an update last summer.

From all I have heard the problem with internal drives is VERY rare and failing to restart is even more rare.

There are much more likely and more serious things to worry about like the possibility of being hit in the head by a meteor or falling off the edge of the world.

The "trick" in dealing with Microsoft updates, and much of the rest of life as well, is not to worry about what might happen but rather simply be prepared to react if needed. Life is too short to let that which cannot be controlled worry us. If you cannot change it do not worry about it.