converting movies/ shows creates number folders that are never cleaned up

rawdrewage

Q-Droid

I have to agree. From what I can see in the image the parent dir, current dir and sub-dirs are all owned by emby and have the privs needed to create and remove content. Any errors from the conversions?

sluggo45

If it's a bug it's an obscure one because I have my temp directory set outside my libraries and Emby always cleans it up when done. I record and transcode a lot of live tv in addition to syncs to my iPad, etc. and haven't seen this problem, in fact I just ssh'd in to double check and make sure I wasn't missing something.

Could you give more detail on your install? FreeBSD (or FreeNAS) version, are you running in a jail, etc. I feel like permissions are still at the root of this somewhere. I'm sure it can be figured out.

rawdrewage

I have already switched to the default sync directory. he problem of folders not being cleaned up still exists. Emby does not clean up the folders it creates when converting files and they don't seem to care at all. 

Q-Droid

I have already switched to the default sync directory. he problem of folders not being cleaned up still exists. Emby does not clean up the folders it creates when converting files and they don't seem to care at all. 

It was suggested that you change the sync path away from your media library to make sure that wasn't causing these directories to get left behind. You've shown the behavior continues and the user and permissions are correct. So there might be a bug and it's a step in the right direction to continue troubleshooting. 

It doesn't have anything to do with "caring". Yes, there might be a bug but in the grand scheme of things this is a very minor one that does not seem to affect functionality. It just leaves directories behind in an out of the way path. Now the devs have some info to work with and may request more since no others on FreeBSD have come forward with the same issue. As I mentioned before, I'm on CentOS and a directory gets left on mine at random, just not often enough to bother.

rawdrewage

Thanks for your feedback. 

I am a programmer and 'random' things would really bother me. This problem is one of many that seem to linger for excessive periods of time, at least a year. This type of issue is something that should be stomped out immediately and anything 'random' should be investigated and fixed post haste. I think it's in the direction of Best Practices. That's a phrase not used often enough.

MRobi

and they don't seem to care at all. 

Are you this negative in real life or just online? With the attitude you're giving towards the developers in this thread and in all your others, it's no wonder you're not having people jumping at trying to help you. And to say "they don't seem to care at all", have you not noticed @@Luke has replied 10 times in this thread? 

I'm running 3 instances of Emby right now with 3 different versions. I primarily use the latest beta for media conversion, but tried it on both other versions as well after seeing your issue. Emby cleans up the folders every time on ALL versions. @@sluggo45 is also seeing no leftover folders. In fact, this is the only thread on here that I can remember seeing with this issue. You say you're a programmer so you should grasp this concept.... if there's 1 user out of tens of thousands with an issue in a widely used feature, is it a bug in the software or is it related to the single user with the issue? It's not impossible that it's a bug that only 1 user has experienced, but odds are good that it's something in that 1 user's configuration that's causing the issue.

It sounds to me like a permissions issue as well. You said it yourself that you SSH into your system to change the permissions to be able to delete the directories manually. That should be your proof that this is related to permissions! I'll leave it to you to figure it out though because I've got better things to do than try to help someone that will turn around and say I don't care or I'm blowing smoke up your ass.

• Like 1