Episode Order/Title is Incorrect

Nisten
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Nisten

There are some media items (Anime, TV Shows, Cartoons) that have the wrong episode titles & metadata fetched which is causing a mismatch in episode numbers and episode titles. Now most of these items have the actual episode name and episode number in the filename but when metadata is fetched; the episode order and naming is all overwritten and trying to manually correct this via the metadata manager is daunting.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to prevent this or have it recognize or populate episode metadata based solely on the filename and order the episodes based on the filenames? These filenames with episode title and episode titles are pre-populated from streaming sources (Hulu, Prime Video, etc).

I would like to have it auto-recognize and auto-order the episodes based on the filenames because i don't know for sure that the filenames that came from the streaming sources are correct as is. Even if it doesn't match the episode ordering of the metadata fetchers; at least have the episode names right and re-order as needed.

Would it be better to just remove the episode ordering from the filenames and just leave the name of the episode by itself?

Edited by Nisten

Nisten

ShowNameFolder

SeasonNumberFolder

ShowName - SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber - EpisodeName

ShowName - SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber - EpisodeName

Ex: 6teen\Season 3\6teen - s03e01 - Going Underground

Edited by Nisten

Nisten

Episode name is "Sweet 6teen" (no quotes) and the metadata is based on the new episode name. Doing a general search shows that Sweet 6teen is the true 1st episode of Season 3 while the actual filename is the true 28th episode of season 2. 

Since i don't know the true episode order and the ordering of the episode from other sources could be potentially inaccurate; would it best to just take all the episode files out of their current season folder(s), remove the SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber, and put all the episode files into the root Show folder?

Ex: 6teen\6teen - Going Underground

Edited by Nisten

Nisten

Are the episode number and season number correct for that episode, in emby?

Yes but it doesn't match the actual filename "Episode name is "Sweet 6teen" (no quotes) and the metadata is based on the new episode name. Doing a general search shows that Sweet 6teen is the true 1st episode of Season 3 while the actual filename is the true 28th episode of season 2. "

The actual episode order (from the filenames) seems to be one episode off from the true episode order (from the metadata sources/fetchers); Since its entirely possibly that each episode file is one episode off in regard to episode order; What is the best way to fix this? 

This is why i said,

"Since i don't know the true episode order and the ordering of the episode from other streaming sources could be potentially inaccurate; would it best to just take all the episode files out of their current season folder(s), remove the SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber, and put all the episode files into the root Show folder?

Ex: 6teen\6teen - Going Underground"

Basically what is happening is the episode name in the filename is correct but the episode number/order is likely not correct (since it pre-populated from streaming sources); Emby is pulling the episode based on SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber so even while the episode name of the filename is actually correct; the metadata fetch is associating it to a different episode due to the mismatch of episode order (in the example; the filename's true episode number is season2episode28 but emby is displaying it as season3episode1 because season3episode1 is actually "Sweet 6teen" and not "Going Underground". So when i watch the "Sweet 6teen" episode as it displays in emby, its really "Going Underground" when playing it back

Edited by Nisten

Nisten

On tvdb:

-Season 2 Episode 1 is listed for "Going Underground"

-Season 3 Episode 1 is listed for "Sweet 6teen"

Actual Filename:

-6teen\Season 3\6teen - s03e01 - Going Underground

(pre-populated from external streaming source)

What displays in Emby:

"Sweet 6teen" (Season 3 episode 1)

What actually plays in Emby:

"Going Underground" (listed as Season 2 Episode 1 on tvdb)

It seems the "s03e01" is superseding the episode name in regards to metadata fetching

Edited by Nisten

• Solution

Yes that's correct. You either need to rename your files, disable internet metadata for that library, or lock those episodes.

Nisten

So i removed the episode numbers, hoping it would match the seasons/episodes based solely on episode name/title but now most of the episodes are listed in "Season Unknown" and out of order.

Is it possible to get the metadata to fetch and populate solely on the Show Name and Episode Name/Title since episode number/order that's in the filename likely won't match the same episode numbering/ordering from the metadata provider(s)?

We don't do any matching on title, sorry. I'm sure you've already explained this but isn't the simplest thing to rename based on tvdb order?

Nisten

Yes but a more automated and granulated design would be much simpler. The fact that 78 episodes are out of order because the sequencing is off by one (right episode name/title but off by one episode number according to tvdb) is maddening