subrip subtitles are not showing up in webapp

Gerrit507

Gerrit507

The issue is that subrip subtitles are not showing up at all in the webapp. I've tried different media. The subtitles are fine in kodi. The issue occurs on Firefox, Chrome and Edge. I've tested version 4.1.0.26 and 4.2.0.1. I provide the transcoding log. The subtitles are transcoded to webvtt.

Log.txt

Gerrit507

I just wanted to add that PGS subtitles work fine. I guess they are getting burned in.

I also went back to 4.0.1.0 and the subrip subtitles are working with that version. So it must be caused be some change between 4.0.1.0 and 4.1.0.26.

I'm using docker by the way.

Hi, yes we have a couple sample files that the newer ffmpeg is having some trouble with, and we are looking into it. It's not happening with all files though. Thanks.

Gerrit507

Are there any plans when this issue will be fixed? I hope it would be fixed with 4.1.1.0 but it wasn't. This issue basically makes it impossible to watch something like Game of Thrones where they speak different languages and you basically need subtitles...  Should be high priority imho...

• 2 weeks later...
Gerrit507

The issue seems to be fixed with version 4.2.0.5

Edited by Gerrit507

Interesting, I actually hadn't even had a chance to look at it yet. Perhaps the difference was just the newer ffmpeg build.

yarez0

hi 

on my side, SUBRIP are on top of the video in direct stream (1080 / 5 to 60 Mbps) , if I force transcode by reducing to 1080 4 Mbps, there is no subtitles.

only SUBRIP are on top, SRT are on the bottom

yarez0

ok just add a SRT file to a tv show, SUBRIP and SRT shows on top, this happens on web client (chrome) don't know if I change a parameter somewhere. I'll do some other tests

yarez0

I confirm, even on iOS, if transcode occured there is no SUBRIP subtitle

without transcoding on iOS, SUBRIP are shown on the bottom

yarez0

yep, sorry I did not provide logs yet because i'm testing a lot of functionnalities et logs are huge. 

I cleaned it, stop server, clean logs, start et play video with chrome last version 64 bit

22h41m01 video is playing 1080 5 Mbps, no subtitles

22h41m46 video is playing 1080 auto 60 Mbps, subtitles on the top

SUBRIP.zip

The issue is that we extract the embedded subtitles on the fly and send them to the video player as plain text, however in your environment this process is taking a long time, and it's causing you to think the subtitles aren't working.

What you can do is go to server transcoding settings and uncheck the option to allow subtitle extraction on the fly. This will caused them to be burned in with server transcoding instead - of course, you might not like that either due to the amount of resources it will consume on your server in order to do that.

That's why for the best experience possible, external subtitles are always the most efficient choice. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
yarez0

The issue is that we extract the embedded subtitles on the fly and send them to the video player as plain text, however in your environment this process is taking a long time, and it's causing you to think the subtitles aren't working.

What you can do is go to server transcoding settings and uncheck the option to allow subtitle extraction on the fly. This will caused them to be burned in with server transcoding instead - of course, you might not like that either due to the amount of resources it will consume on your server in order to do that.

That's why for the best experience possible, external subtitles are always the most efficient choice. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

ok thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problem with EmbyServer 4.1.1.0 and 4.2.0.15. The subtitles won't display on web app with allow subtitle extraction on the fly checked and not checked.

Subtitles are correctly displayed on Emby Theater for Windows

Here is some logs and a sample file

hardware_detection-63696031077.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-16838a00-bc6a-4d9d-84bb-f7b73f45d8a8_1.txt

Sample-010.zip

embyserver.txt

Edited by kesm

Hi,

I have the same problem with EmbyServer 4.1.1.0 and 4.2.0.15. The subtitles won't display on web app with allow subtitle extraction on the fly checked and not checked.

Subtitles are correctly displayed on Emby Theater for Windows

Here is some logs and a sample file

Why do you feel they're not displaying? Have you made sure to enable them in the video player? Have you checked the contents of the subtitles?

Why do you feel they're not displaying? Have you made sure to enable them in the video player? Have you checked the contents of the subtitles?

Hi, 

Nothing was displayed when I watched the episode, I double checked that subtitles was enable and the same episode display subtitles correctly on Emby Theater and Plex Web

I have the same problem on 4.1.1.0 (I wasn't able to put 4.1.0.14 on my docker)

At first I believed it was caused by HEVC but plex manage the file correctly : 

Plex : https://i.imgur.com/ZH8qijW.png Edit : more details about plex trascode : https://i.imgur.com/ljkePiQ.png
Emby : https://i.imgur.com/baMozWf.png

Also Emby displays the episode way darker than plex do

@@Luke Should I create a new topic?

Thanks

Edited by kesm

theghost31

@@kesm, I'm using docker as you so why can't you write 4.1.0.14 as version?

and yes, this version, precisely, is important.

V4.1.1.0 is already too late about what I suggest to you :/

Edited by theghost31

theghost31

Ok and to finish, are we agree if you update to 4.1.0.15, subtitles are not working anymore?

Thank you. If its the case, it's the same issue as me. Or at least, it's a similar problem :)

I played with Docker to switch between these two versions and everytime 4.1.0.14 was working but not 4.1.0.15 and newer.

After that, I didn't see it was just subrip subtitles which had this issue.

NB: I never seen the dark image on my side so it's an other problem maybe already fixed? Anyway, it was just to try the test of subtitles :)

Edited by theghost31