28 replies to this topic

#21 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts
  • Local time: 09:05 PM

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Do you assign static IP to your Emby server on your router? Or is this using dynamic IP assignment for your server? This might be the problem. The Roku no longer has the correct IP address associated especially if this is done using PIN/Emby Connect. This would cause the Roku app to believe the Emby server must be awoke from sleep. So you might see the Wake option presented and it says it cannot find the server. This is due to the IP address changing on your router that points to your Emby server. If you set this as Static on the router so it never changes this would help PIN/Emby Connect stay on track. If you use manual connection it would do the same thing. But you could enter the new host/ip and port into the manual server entry and then get past this.

Edited by speechles, 26 April 2019 - 10:41 AM.

#22 Ravenshield OFFLINE  

Ravenshield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 AM

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

Emby Server has a static IP set by FreeNAS

#23 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts
  • Local time: 09:05 PM

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:51 AM

Once it tells you it cannot connect you are presented with wake server and remove server?

If so remove server then exit the app. Rudely press the home button.

Now restart that Emby app and it should start you at the pin screen. With skip (connect manually) and generate new pin. Click on skip. Use change host and enter the exact IP on the server dashboard showing as the local IP. Do the same for port. Then press Connect.

Does it do the double-slide and move the screen to sign in? Are you presented a list of users to choose from, along with wake server and remove server? If so choose your user and it should be good to go after that. It should log in cleanly and quickly now much faster than it was using Emby Connect.

When using Emby Connect I am still diagnose the cause/effect relationship where things go bad. I will figure this out. Using skip/manual-entry should always work locally and is the preferred method to use a Roku on a local Emby server.

Edited by speechles, 26 April 2019 - 11:52 AM.

#24 Ravenshield OFFLINE  

Ravenshield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

I wasn't using Emby Connect. And I was doing what you indicated, it would present a list of users. But as soon as you choose one, you were kicked back to the Roku screen before the Emby app loaded.

In any case, I've killed the Emby Server and it won't load now.

I'll have to build it from scratch.

I wish I had more time to tinker with this but I don't. This whole jail thing has been a nightmare.

I'll have to do a 3.4.1.0 install or maybe 3.5.0.0 if I can get it to work with the same method from here

https://www.ixsystem...updating.70380/

Eventually I'll migrate this to a VM where it won't be dependent on the OS of FreeNAS 11.1 or figuring out why the latest FreeNAS won't boot properly on my hardware. Unfortunately because this media server is used a lot, I don't have the troubleshooting time.

#25 Diedrich OFFLINE  

Diedrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:12 PM

I can't run FreeNas 11.2. The OS won't work with the hardware setup. I tried last year and it kept having issues.
I had to downgrade back to 11.1

Why can't I use 11.1 if you have emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.1_amd64.txz ?

Not that this would fix your issue, but have you tried upgrading to 11.2-U3? If you are running 11.1 you shouldn't have any trouble on 11.2. What was the installation issue? 11.2-U3 still has access to the legacy interface and can run legacy jails (just can't create legacy jails).

#26 Ravenshield OFFLINE  

Ravenshield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:52 PM

3.4.1.0 seems to be the max version for 11.1

Not that this would fix your issue, but have you tried upgrading to 11.2-U3? If you are running 11.1 you shouldn't have any trouble on 11.2. What was the installation issue? 11.2-U3 still has access to the legacy interface and can run legacy jails (just can't create legacy jails).

I actually can't upgrade with the current hardware config

When I upgraded the last time the FreeNAS server would randomly go offline every 10 seconds and spout random crap all over the console screen.
Basically from what I gathered the issue may have been related to using a USB 2.0 stick as the boot drive and USB 3.0 would be required (or some other hardware compatibility issue).
I don't actually have a USB 3.0 media stick nor do I have any free hard drive ports. The system is using 5 for the RAID array and 1 for the SSD drive for the transcoding.

#27 Diedrich OFFLINE  

Diedrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:07 PM

3.4.1.0 seems to be the max version for 11.1

I actually can't upgrade with the current hardware config
When I upgraded the last time the FreeNAS server would randomly go offline every 10 seconds and spout random crap all over the console screen.
Basically from what I gathered the issue may have been related to using a USB 2.0 stick as the boot drive and USB 3.0 would be required (or some other hardware compatibility issue).
I don't actually have a USB 3.0 media stick nor do I have any free hard drive ports. The system is using 5 for the RAID array and 1 for the SSD drive for the transcoding.

Right, you said though the last time you tried an upgrade was a year ago. There have been significant fixes since then, an upgrade now might work. Many users report upgrade issues with USB boot drives.

First attempt would be to upgrade from the GUI. If that doesn't work then just roll back to the previous boot environment. If that doesn't work then just save your config file to some client. Download and install 11.2-U3 to your current USB and then just import your config file to restore your settings.

If I remember correctly, USB 3.0 devices are now supported. But that brings up a question - I believe the new bootloader requires UEFI, to which your system may not support??

Still, none of this solves your issue, just trying to help you get the latest and greatest.

#28 Ravenshield OFFLINE  

Ravenshield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:18 PM

Right, you said though the last time you tried an upgrade was a year ago. There have been significant fixes since then, an upgrade now might work. Many users report upgrade issues with USB boot drives.

First attempt would be to upgrade from the GUI. If that doesn't work then just roll back to the previous boot environment. If that doesn't work then just save your config file to some client. Download and install 11.2-U3 to your current USB and then just import your config file to restore your settings.

If I remember correctly, USB 3.0 devices are now supported. But that brings up a question - I believe the new bootloader requires UEFI, to which your system may not support??

Still, none of this solves your issue, just trying to help you get the latest and greatest.

Its not that USB 3.0 was not supported. The problem they are indicating is that my boot drive is USB 2.0 and possibly too slow - assuming that is what the issue is.

#29 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138263 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

If you follow the FreeBSD section of the community, we'll have updated install instructions on our website for FreeNAS very soon. They will require 11.2+ though. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users