Roku Express Not Connecting to Emby

Ravenshield

Ravenshield

First and foremost, this setup was working fine until the other day

I also have a Roku TV upstairs that works fine, and several other Emby Windows devices that work fine.

When you sign into the Emby app, you choose the username ( i have two) and it has the spinning circle for a second and then the app exits.

I have removed the app from the Roku device, rebooted and re-added and it didn't have any effect (this was suggested on an older post)

Rebooting my wifi router didnt help - and other devices work fine.

Manually entering the server didn't help

I am unsure where to get the logs from the server that might indicate a connection failure.

There does not appear to be any upgrades for the Roku software.

Emby Server

Version 3.4.1.5 beta

Edited by Ravenshield

syralk

First and foremost, this setup was working fine until the other day

I also have a Roku TV upstairs that works fine, and several other Emby Windows devices that work fine.

When you sign into the Emby app, you choose the username ( i have two) and it has the spinning circle for a second and then the app exits.

I have removed the app from the Roku device, rebooted and re-added and it didn't have any effect (this was suggested on an older post)

Rebooting my wifi router didnt help - and other devices work fine.

Manually entering the server didn't help

I am unsure where to get the logs from the server that might indicate a connection failure.

There does not appear to be any upgrades for the Roku software.

HI  @Ravenshield 

I have a similar issue with the Roku express 3700CA and 3710CA as they are older and slower device

I was able to make them work by login in the server alot of time

when it freeze wait 2 minutes then press home and try again

last time it took me 10-20 time to be able to make it work

and i was using manual connection

it seem to be a timeout issue because of the device be slower, I did not have this issue with the Roku Fire stick+, Roku Premium and Roku 3 only with the Roku express 3700CA and 3710CA 

Please use the Emby Beta of the Roku app and let us know if this is still a problem. This should not be happening it might be indicative that the registry on that Roku has become full. This can happen on that model since it has the lowest amount of storage/ram available.

If the Emby Beta does not fix this you might need to reset that Roku:

1) Uninstall all Emby apps from your Roku. It is okay to leave Blue Neon Night if you use that app it has a different developer ID.

2) Reboot the Roku. Do not skip this step. Do not forget to complete step 1 first.

3) Reinstall all your Emby apps on your Roku.

If this doesn't help either please let us know. Thanks. :)

Ravenshield

I just bought this device in the last couple of months and it was working fine. The emby server wasn't updated

I found the log section. I'll see if I can add it to the case

error.txt

Edited by Ravenshield

Ravenshield

Please use the Emby Beta of the Roku app and let us know if this is still a problem. This should not be happening it might be indicative that the registry on that Roku has become full. This can happen on that model since it has the lowest amount of storage/ram available.

If the Emby Beta does not fix this you might need to reset that Roku:

1) Uninstall all Emby apps from your Roku. It is okay to leave Blue Neon Night if you use that app it has a different developer ID.

2) Reboot the Roku. Do not skip this step. Do not forget to complete step 1 first.

3) Reinstall all your Emby apps on your Roku.

If this doesn't help either please let us know. Thanks. :)

I am running a beta version

And those instructions were already tried. It didn't work

Ravenshield

Is there a procedure for this via Linux command line?

I had a hard enough time getting this to install properly in a jail under FreeNAS v11.1

My hardware setup has issues running 11.2 so I am stuck with v11.1.

Notifications are just coming up with this when it checks for updates

Check for application updates failed.
20 hours ago
Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)

So this is freenas or Linux?

The failed notifications are due to it being so out of date.

Ravenshield

So this is freenas or Linux?

The failed notifications are due to it being so out of date.

Sorry FreeBSD not Linux

FreeBSD emby_1 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+79f05c3dd3d(HEAD): Wed

Jan 23 12:02:34 EST 2019 root@@nemesis.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-releng/free

nas/_BE/objs/freenas-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64 amd64

I cannot use the FreeNAS web interface to update this.

Ravenshield

Ok there are way too many dependencies for this upgrade to work.

I could build a new jail

Do you know where the config files are stored? I really don't want to set this up again

Backup plugin doesn't appear to install properly

Edited by Ravenshield

Ravenshield

k so updating the jail seemed to have killed Emby.   Nevermind - seems to have recovered but not upgraded

I am trying to build a new jail now with the latest install but any help with getting my config would be helpful

Edited by Ravenshield

If this is FreeBSD then you can install from FreeBSD ports, but you'll need to upgrade to 11.2+.

Ravenshield

If this is FreeBSD then you can install from FreeBSD ports, but you'll need to upgrade to 11.2+.

I can't run FreeNas 11.2. The OS won't work with the hardware setup. I tried last year and it kept having issues.

I had to downgrade back to 11.1

Why can't I use 11.1 if you have emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.1_amd64.txz ?

Ravenshield

Ok so this issue has to be with the app on the Roku's in some way.

Now our TV is doing the same thing.

I can use the built in Roku streaming app to play from Emby but not the actual Emby player

Ok so this issue has to be with the app on the Roku's in some way.

Now our TV is doing the same thing.

I can use the built in Roku streaming app to play from Emby but not the actual Emby player

I am going to spend time on the app in this area tonight. Same with Emby Connect issues. These must be related. I am going to find the root cause and fix this because quite frankly...this sort of pisses me off when I go to join others servers to help them using Emby Connect and with multiple users doing this I myself have experienced this BS. We cannot have this BS exist any longer. I will look into why/where/how and fix this issue tonight. This will be the priority.

Ravenshield

I don't know if this helps.

But you might be able to replicate by streaming a movie or tv show, then shutdown the Emby server

I believe my kids might have left the Roku Express running and the tv was off, while I shutdown the server for maintenance

The Roku smart tv was streaming a show while I was troubleshooting the express down stairs and removed the app - I didn't realize this removed it from both devices.

Ravenshield

New server built on a different IP and OS (Windows in this case), works just fine.

I'll test to see if switching the IP on the old Emby server has an effect

Ravenshield

Well that appears to have killed this old Emby Server....

It won't start the emby-server on the new ip or old ip.

Do you assign static IP to your Emby server on your router? Or is this using dynamic IP assignment for your server? This might be the problem. The Roku no longer has the correct IP address associated especially if this is done using PIN/Emby Connect. This would cause the Roku app to believe the Emby server must be awoke from sleep. So you might see the Wake option presented and it says it cannot find the server. This is due to the IP address changing on your router that points to your Emby server. If you set this as Static on the router so it never changes this would help PIN/Emby Connect stay on track. If you use manual connection it would do the same thing. But you could enter the new host/ip and port into the manual server entry and then get past this.

Edited by speechles

Once it tells you it cannot connect you are presented with wake server and remove server?

If so remove server then exit the app. Rudely press the home button.

Now restart that Emby app and it should start you at the pin screen. With skip (connect manually) and generate new pin. Click on skip. Use change host and enter the exact IP on the server dashboard showing as the local IP. Do the same for port. Then press Connect.

Does it do the double-slide and move the screen to sign in? Are you presented a list of users to choose from, along with wake server and remove server? If so choose your user and it should be good to go after that. It should log in cleanly and quickly now much faster than it was using Emby Connect.

When using Emby Connect I am still diagnose the cause/effect relationship where things go bad. I will figure this out. Using skip/manual-entry should always work locally and is the preferred method to use a Roku on a local Emby server.

Edited by speechles

Ravenshield

I wasn't using Emby Connect. And I was doing what you indicated, it would present a list of users. But as soon as you choose one, you were kicked back to the Roku screen before the Emby app loaded.

In any case, I've killed the Emby Server and it won't load now.

I'll have to build it from scratch.

I wish I had more time to tinker with this but I don't. This whole jail thing has been a nightmare.

I'll have to do a 3.4.1.0 install or maybe 3.5.0.0 if I can get it to work with the same method from here

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/emby-plugin-in-11-1-no-longer-works-needs-updating.70380/

Eventually I'll migrate this to a VM where it won't be dependent on the OS of FreeNAS 11.1 or figuring out why the latest FreeNAS won't boot properly on my hardware. Unfortunately because this media server is used a lot, I don't have the troubleshooting time.

Diedrich

I can't run FreeNas 11.2. The OS won't work with the hardware setup. I tried last year and it kept having issues.

I had to downgrade back to 11.1

Why can't I use 11.1 if you have emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.1_amd64.txz ?

Not that this would fix your issue, but have you tried upgrading to 11.2-U3? If you are running 11.1 you shouldn't have any trouble on 11.2. What was the installation issue? 11.2-U3 still has access to the legacy interface and can run legacy jails (just can't create legacy jails).