Roku app randomly exit to roku home screen while playing video after a while

MisterMoonlight

MisterMoonlight

I ran emby 4.0.2.0 under ubuntu 16.04 for a couple of months without never experimenting such roku app crash while playing a movie randomly after a while. At that time, i was running emby roku version 3.0.134 with roku os 9.0.0 build 4052. I considered this version was very stable to play a video on all my 3 rokus devices.

At some point somewhere in march 2019, i updated the roku os to version 9.0.4142 and the emby application updated to v3.0.153. The emby server did not change at all since the setup was stable.

Since this roku update, the emby roku app is now unstable. Randomly, when playing a movie it will crash after 20mn, 31mn, 47mn, etc playing time and immediatly returned to the roku home screen (sometimes it won't crash at all and plays the complete movie in one shot). Usually it won't crash more than a couple of times in a single movie, mostly don't crash and sometime a single time. If i am restarting the emby roku app and choose in continue watching the movie i was listening previously, it appears that the movie continue to play were it left off at the moment of the crash without any issue until it is crashing again. When there is a crash, it is usually after the video has played for a while (not after a couple of mn playing). Playing the video at the same moment won't necessary crash the roku app.

The movie in all these cases are always direct playing to the roku (no transcoding at all).

I have a feeling that movie that are using mpeg TS streams are much more prone to the crash than mp4 stream movies, i don't ever think it ever crash with a mp4 movie (but i am not sure of this).

So at this point i am not sure if the problem is related to the emby app update or the os 9.0.0 update as both came at the same time.

I am quite sure it is not related to the ubuntu 4.0.2.0 setup as nothing has changed in it and this server never automatically update.

Anybody seeing these problems?

Can you try using the Emby Beta of the Roku app? This should solve the problem. Let us know if this does not. The beta does not imply broken or buggy. It has extra features and bug fixes that will soon push to the store version of the app. All changes first go through Beta.

MisterMoonlight

Ok i have already a side loaded app in my roku, but i could may be attempt to sideload the emby beta instead in one of my devices for testing a couple of days...

I have look of the beta version page and did not see anything related to version 3.0.153, is this normal?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69859-roku-beta-release-notes/

Ok it looks the beta app could be directly installed without side loading, my mistake...

Yeah the only app you can sideload anymore is (my old Emby app!)Emby Blue Neon Night. Sideloading(being kind enough to offer users zip files) exposes the source code to the competition. We now work together to build the Emby app. There are no longer two versions of an Emby app for Roku. It is now a combined effort for a single app. We cannot offer zip files any longer because this would expose our proprietary(and interesting) work to the competition. They need to protect their IP as much as Emby does. We love users but we keep our work close to our vests. Hope you understand.

We also need you to point us towards what you think is most important. Your media your way. To do this we need to know your way. Please give us your feedback. I wish Roku provided a mechanism for users to leave feedback so we could read this and see if we can see any areas we need to improve. Thanks for any issues or bugs you may report. Also thanks for any feature requests or ideas you may be inspired to create. We need and value your feedback. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

MisterMoonlight

Ok, i also updated to the latest release 3.0.155 (i was using 3.0.153) and lets see if it will improve things...

Ok, i also updated to the latest release 3.0.155 (i was using 3.0.153) and lets see if it will improve things...

This might be related to the rsg_version being 1.1 instead of 1.2. Once we are sure there are no more 8.x devices in the wild we can update this. It might be that time.

It might be when we introduced stats for nerds and something in those clock works crashes. Unlikely as I went over that part with a fine toothed comb to protect against crashes. Stats for nerds uses a hook into the same routine that the OSD uses. So you can invoke a stats for nerds update by using/opening (bringing up) the OSD. This is how the crash can occur even with stats for nerds not in use. The stats for nerds causing the crash should not be possible so likely this isnt the cause I am just mentioned if you open the OSD and this causes the crash that is the problem. If you can safely open the OSD without these crashes all is fine this isn't the cause.

It might also be when the progress reporting happens. When this happens the app sometimes expects a string reply but a timeout happens and instead it gets nothing. This is different than a 501/404/etc which returns "". If a timeout happens to occur on these progress reports I have experienced a crash before. It gets an invalid not a string reponse. This should be rare and not repeatable in the same instance. When these issues happen is your server busy with any other tasks? Is the cpu usage low? Is there any bandwidth that could cause throughput issues or delayed packets?

Reference: Issue #363: [Video Player] ensure progress reports are not crashing

I added this to our internal tracker for review.

Edited by speechles

• 3 years later...

I had the same issue. During playback, my Roku would exit to the home screen roughly every 4 minutes, but only on certain file types. Super annoying/impossible to watch anything like that. I fixed it by using a different power supply. I guess the original power supply has capacitors that are getting weak.

• Thanks 2