Feature to filter out some media (eg 4k or HEVC) for certain users

mholin

mholin

Hello,

I've bought this lifetime licence for me and all my children.

I've a Lenovo M93p Tiny computer to host the emby server. This has Haswell 4th Gen i5 CPU which is powerfull to transcode 2-3 h264 streams in parallel.

But it is really not capable to reencode h265 media. I have to transcode for users outside my home, as my internet provider only gives 20 mbit upload speed here.

So my wish: for my users I would like to have a filter to hide 4k or 1080/h265 content from them, as they cannot watch this content due to the Haswell CPU.

thanks Michael

Edited by mholin

blade005

Hello,

I've bought this lifetime licence for me and all my children.

I've a Lenovo M93p Tiny computer to host the emby server. This has Haswell 4th Gen i5 CPU which is powerfull to transcode 2-3 h264 streams in parallel.

But it is really not capable to reencode h265 media. I have to transcode for users outside my home, as my internet provider only gives 20 mbit upload speed here.

So my wish: for my users I would like to have a filter to hide 4k or 1080/h265 content from them, as they cannot watch this content due to the Haswell CPU.

thanks Michael

Your best option for now would be to set up any 4K or H265 content in separate libraries and exclude them from the library list that is available to any users accessing your Emby Server remotely.

Edited by blade005
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
jaspils

I was going to request pretty much the same thing. I have my server running with a library containing all of my movies: mostly 1080p h264, but also qualities from 720p h264 up to 4K HDR h265. I mostly use Emby for use of WAN and play the 4K HDR files directly through a Vero4K+. Mainly because my server (a VM with some Xeon E5520 cores) is not really capable of encoding h265. Since most of the management of my movies is automated, splitting the libraries in 2 is not really desirable. 

I was thinking of multiple solutions:

- Some kind of function to scan libraries, but exclude files or folders with certain strings.

- Or even better, a function to exclude media-files with specific media-info like HEVC, 4K or HDR.

- Or maybe, since there is already a filter available for this as a user when browsing for movies, perhaps it would be possible to force a filter for all (or certain) users as server admin.

Have you checked out our subfolder access feature? Or restrictions by tags? Those are two features at your disposal that you can use to block content.

jaspils

Have you checked out our subfolder access feature? Or restrictions by tags? Those are two features at your disposal that you can use to block content.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not entirely sure what the subfolder access feature is. So far I assumed that you mean the option to create a library with multiple folders, and the restricting the access to specific folders on specific users. If that is what you mean, then this option would still require me to split my movies into at least two folders, ones I can play through my Emby server and ones I can't.

Regarding the restriction by tags, I have checked this out. However, I found out that none of my movies get tags in their metadata, which means I'd have to manually add tags to all movies I can't play, and then restrict that tag on users. The problem here lies with manually adding the tags, or is there an automated function for this (or should this be automatically filled and maybe I misconfigured something)?