If only the xbox app was a good as the android tv app

rykr

jachin99

I see other posts talking up MPV quite a bit, which led me to the conclusion that its a superior player to the alternatives (In this case the default players in Android, and on the Xbox I'm assuming).  I don't own an android TV box but I do have an XBox.  I think you misread what I said above with regards to MPV, and stability on the XBox.  Playback on the Xbox recently has been ok but I haven't really used it to regularly watch TV or Movies.  I am looking at other options besides Windows Media Center, and using a PC which is why I am looking at the shield vs. the XBox.  I see others commenting that the current video player and microsoft updates are causing stability issues on the XB1 so before I decide if I want to switch and what I should switch to, I think it wold be a good idea to ask about any issues I might have because my current setup works fine. 

The only real issue I have with my current setup is that i don't have a HDR capable display, and my AVR doesn't support newer surround formats.  If I upgrade my display, and AVR I'll still need to find some device that can playback content that makes use of new technologies.  I don't think I want to build a new PC and hope that all of the DRM requirements are met and working correctly so I'm looking at boxes like the shield, and XB1.  I don't know the limitations of either device (or its video player, MPV or otherwise ) so I'm asking about those limitations, and if Emby will be making improvements to get around them.  I hope that made more sense.  

Edited by jachin99

Guest asrequested

Xbox is using the standard windows player, which is very limited. The intention is to eventually replace that with mpv, which will have much greater capability/compatibility. mpv is able to decode almost every audio and video format, with a wide range of management for both. If you are planning to add HDR content without an HDR display, shield doesn't have tone mapping abilities, so there will be very little color in the picture. mpv tone maps by default. If your receiver doesn't support some codecs for bitstreaming, mpv will decode the audio instead of your receiver (no loss of quality). There will never be a reason for the server to transcode due to unsupported formats. mpv has all the capability of the server and more.

And on the subject, when you guys add mpv, I'd suggest adding a bunch of options/settings, as an mpv.conf isn't going to be usable. Especially add HDR tone mapping options, and maybe a few of the upscaling options. I feel like most people will be expecting an HDR picture and not SDR, which is what mpv does by default. Some explanation will definitely be required.

Edited by Doofus

FrostByte

It doesn't make much sense to use MPV unless it can be set to do HDR.  I sure wouldn't use it on my XB1X if it isn't

jachin99

I should probably also point out that I'll probably mostly be view MPEG2 cable streams from my HDHR Prime.  I don't think most of my content will have HDR but I need to make sure the picture looks correct with both cable, and HDR content.  

Guest asrequested

I should probably also point out that I'll probably mostly be view MPEG2 cable streams from my HDHR Prime. I don't think most of my content will have HDR but I need to make sure the picture looks correct with both cable, and HDR content.

What do you mean by looks correct with HDR content?

I see other posts talking up MPV quite a bit, which led me to the conclusion that its a superior player to the alternatives (In this case the default players in Android, and on the Xbox I'm assuming).  I don't own an android TV box but I do have an XBox.  I think you misread what I said above with regards to MPV, and stability on the XBox.  Playback on the Xbox recently has been ok but I haven't really used it to regularly watch TV or Movies.  I am looking at other options besides Windows Media Center, and using a PC which is why I am looking at the shield vs. the XBox.  I see others commenting that the current video player and microsoft updates are causing stability issues on the XB1 so before I decide if I want to switch and what I should switch to, I think it wold be a good idea to ask about any issues I might have because my current setup works fine. 

The only real issue I have with my current setup is that i don't have a HDR capable display, and my AVR doesn't support newer surround formats.  If I upgrade my display, and AVR I'll still need to find some device that can playback content that makes use of new technologies.  I don't think I want to build a new PC and hope that all of the DRM requirements are met and working correctly so I'm looking at boxes like the shield, and XB1.  I don't know the limitations of either device (or its video player, MPV or otherwise ) so I'm asking about those limitations, and if Emby will be making improvements to get around them.  I hope that made more sense.  

Okay, well we have no evidence that MPV improves (or really affects at all) the video quality on the Android platform over the player we are using (which is capable of full quality).  Our current player will play your mpeg2 streams on the Shield and even allow you to use closed captions if you wish.

The Shield is one of the best playback devices you can get right now.  Perhaps you can increase quality of poor quality material with an HTPC and MPV in conjunction with some other tweaking and such but, for HD streams, I don't think there is a lot better that you can get over the Shield (assuming no HDR right now and the one issue with that should be solved by the next Shield firmware update).

Guest asrequested

I agree with ebr. If your use case is basic playback and you have the AVR and display that supports what you intend to play, get a shield. There's very little you can configure. It's almost plug 'n' play. I had a movie night on the weekend, and I used the shield for my HDR stuff. But after watching Captain Marvel, I decided to play some of it through mpv and asked my buddy if he could see a difference. He said he couldn't. There was a difference (I could see a slight difference in brightness), but even when I told him the difference, he still couldn't see it. I would have had to put the frames side by side and physically point to the difference with my finger, for him to see it.

jachin99

Thanks for all of the clarifications.  I still won't be upgrading my video players for a while, and I want to explore other options but I hope I don't find any other issues with the shield.  It sounds like it gives the best user experience, and I already have google stuff around the house.  

CBers

I had a movie night on the weekend, and I used the shield for my HDR stuff. But after watching Captain Marvel, I decided to play some of it through mpv and asked my buddy if he could see a difference. He said he couldn't. There was a difference (I could see a slight difference in brightness), but even when I told him the difference, he still couldn't see it. I would have had to put the frames side by side and physically point to the difference with my finger, for him to see it.

So are you going to bin your HTPC now then @ :D

It's OK, I know the answer :)

Guest asrequested

So are you going to bin your HTPC now then @ :D

It's OK, I know the answer :)

Lol...not after spending $400 on an RTX 2060 XC Ultra Gaming :D

CBers

Lol...not after spending $400 on an RTX 2060 XC Ultra Gaming :D

Ah yes, of course.

• 1 month later...
FordGT90Concept

It is much better now.  Only complaint is that it's apparently difficult (impossible?) to delete a single recording via Xbox One app (after the only user that watches the series watched it and deletes them as he goes).

Edited by FordGT90Concept

rykr

It is much better now. Only complaint is that it's apparently difficult (impossible?) to delete a single recording via Xbox One app (after the only user that watches the series watched it and deletes them as he goes).

Was there a new release? I'm away on vacation but don't see one listed

FordGT90Concept

Seems like it but I may be enrolled in beta branch.  I don't know.  UI now mimics website access.  Recordings that used to have all kinds of issues no longer do.

We haven't implemented mpv yet in the windows store app, so playback improvements would most likely be attributed to windows updates.

• Like 1

Yes we have updated the UI as part of an effort to make all of the apps more uniform.

• Like 3

Well we're going as fast as we can but our next step with mpv is Xbox testing.

• Like 3

FordGT90Concept

Yeah, I figured.  Just wanted to make sure it known it was still an issue.

I think the UI actually was the cause of a lot of problems previously where it would think it is playing back when it really isn't.  The disconnect between the UI and the stream caused problems.  It seems like now, it only has issues with 480p subchannel recordings which was a sore spot before.

FordGT90Concept

More feedback on new UI:

Recordings -> Series -> Season 1 -> it lists all of the episodes available but there is no control here.  You can't see chapter images and you can't see the new thumbnail feature.  The only way to jump, for example, 30 minutes ahead in a recording is to use another device to remote control it.

Best solution is probably to make up arrow in a recording bring up the thumbnails and seek the stream.  That way you can get exactly where you want to get and see it as it is happening while keeping seasons creen decluttered.

Alternatively, add an option on Seasons (like right arrow on an episode) to show more information about the episode like chapter selection.

• 3 months later...
FordGT90Concept

It developed a new issue: 60 minute long recordings are stopping ~30 minutes in repeatable and across multiple recordings. The recordings (MP4/h.264/AAC) themselves are fine playing back fine through Emby on Android devices.