If only the xbox app was a good as the android tv app

rykr

So many problems with it.

1.  No idea how far ahead/behind you are rewinding/ffing

2.  Slow to tune

3.  Slow to ff/rwd

Any chance the xbox app will catch up soon to the Android TV app or should I be looking for  another shield?

• Like 1

FordGT90Concept

Xbox app used to be better than Android TV.  Then changes happaned in the Server/Xbox itself and Xbox app didn't get updated to compensate.  Well...minimally so...

Since I came here to complain about the Xbox app too, I might as list my main grievances as well as concurring with yours:

1. Live TV and recordings sourced from Live TV are extremely inclined to hang.  This hang is reproducible at the same point in the clip no matter how many times the Xbox/Emby is restarted.  The same video will play through that point on Android Mobile, Android TV, and through the browser.  TL;DR: Xbox needs the error recovery code improved so it just pushes through defects in the video.  Videos are sourced from HDHomeRun EXTEND (MPEG4 heavy).
  2. In Live TV, perhaps after it has been tuned to a station for a while, back no longer jumps more than a second back and if you keep spamming the back button, it basically becomes a slideshow going forward.  In other words, there's no Live TV video buffer to go back to.  I'm not sure if it is direct streaming or not in this case.  Videos are sourced from Hauppauge QuadHD (MPEG2).
  3. Repeating rykr #1 and observed while my #2 occured: there was no on screen display to show where in the stream Live TV was.
Edited by FordGT90Concept

Thanks for chiming in.  I don't want to have to have a shield sitting on top of my xbox but it may be my only choice.

FordGT90Concept

Bumping this with a video of what it looks like from the dashboard when a recording hangs:

I pulled the TS file if you want it. It is about 2.5 GiB.  Just tell me where to upload it.

Edit: I went to the 6:50-7:00 mark in the video with MPC-HC and there is absolutely no visual artefacts in the video there.

Edit: I played the same segment via Edge on my computer and absolutely no visual artefacts there.

The Xbox One app, I think, has lagged way behind updates for Emby Server and it's suffering for it.  It's visually fine but it's functionally broken.  The experience right now is better on Android Smartphones than the Xbox which is many times more powerful.

• Like 1

We're using the stock windows video player in the app and therefore are subject to it's limitations. We're finally beginning to look at replacing it with a custom player like we have on other platforms. 

• Like 3

FordGT90Concept

I hope you can push an update out sooner rather than later.  Xbox One S support was the best a year+ ago but now it's dreadful.

• 3 weeks later...
danlo315

I am using Xbox as one of my clients and have to agree that it is lagging behind Android TV.  I use it primarily for Live TV and my main complaint is that the EPG will "refresh" from server after returning from a stream about 50% of the time.  This is quite annoying when you're going through the channel surfing experience and trying to figure out what to watch.  I also see significantly more stuttering compared to other clients (Android phone, for example).

• Like 1

rykr

Yeah I hate to have my $300-$400 xbox one x sitting there doing nothing while the experience on the $20 2nd gen fire tv stick is much better.  Seems crazy.

• Like 1

FordGT90Concept

People are using Android phones and Microsoft Surface here instead of the Xbox One S.  Live TV/playback is in such a sad, sad state on Xbox One since Microsoft rolled out a patch months ago.

• 3 weeks later...
FordGT90Concept

Still not fixed and I have more information to add...

When watching a recording (maybe one after another after another but not automated) the progress bar gets stuck early in the stream.  This may be related, may not be, but when you press the back button, it literally just starts from the same frame in the recording over and over.  It doesn't actually go back.  If the server/client thinks the actual video position is where the progress bar shows, it can explain why jumping is completely broken.

I learned today that the recordings the Xbox One S struggles the most with are recordings that were on the weakest channel's subchannels.  In other words, the Xbox One S client really struggles with the slightest degregredation of recording quality where other clients (especially android and Edge Browser) cruise right through them.

I'm seriously contemplating replacing the Xbox One S with a Shield because TV/recording playback is so broken on Xbox One S.

• Like 1

As I said before the stock windows player is limited and we're doing the best we can with it. We have a proof of concept of mpv embedded into the app up and running on the desktop. Pretty soon we'll start testing it on xbox. Thanks.

• Like 2

FordGT90Concept

As I said before the stock windows player is limited and we're doing the best we can with it. We have a proof of concept of mpv embedded into the app up and running on the desktop. Pretty soon we'll start testing it on xbox. Thanks.

Can't come soon enough.  Have been putting up with these issues far too long. :(

Picked up a second shield this week for that very reason

Not surprised.  Luckily I already have a second that is being used sparingly that I can use but haven't moved it yet.  If Luke thinks they'll get it sorted soon, might not be worth the effort to change...

On a related note, I noticed the feature to extract images far more often.  Is using that feature already available in Xbox One app?  If not, will it be added soon?

chef

We're using the stock windows video player in the app and therefore are subject to it's limitations. We're finally beginning to look at replacing it with a custom player like we have on other platforms.

That is amazing news. It would make a whole lot of people happy.

As someone who has spent a lot of time with Xbox one, I can say that the limitations of the device really start because Microsoft looks at it like a gaming console first and media Box second.

Their smartglass app has been broken for months now.

I am an Xbox One Insider and I have sent many requests for it to be fixed and each release of the app and Xbox update, it never gets fixed.

I have many times felt like moving away from Xbox, but can't muster up the cash to spend on a new device (which would be a Shield).

• Like 2

jachin99

Are the Xbox improvements closer to a few months down the road or a year or two down the road? I was thinking of making it my primary playback devices at some point in the future

• Like 1

FordGT90Concept

I was thinking of making it my primary playback devices at some point in the future

A definite "no" for now.  Wait until they bring Xbox One up to par with everything else.

I should make it perfectly clear that Xbox One support was the best a year ago (far better than Shield).  Then Microsoft pushed out an update that broke everything and it hasn't been fixed yet.  If Microsoft did it once, they can do again.  Sounds like Luke's plan is to divorce Emby from Microsoft's media player so it's hardened against future changes by Microsoft.  Until that happens, pretty much any device is going to work better than Xbox One with Emby.

• Like 1

rykr

For anyone reading this thread. -- save yourself and just get a shield.  I have an xbox onex and a shield and the shield is better than the xbox one at everything *except* console type games.  Media streaming and retro gaming is where the shield shines!

• Like 3

jachin99

Is there a plan to add MPV to the Android TV client? Thanks for the feedback so far and it will be a little while before I switch if I do. I don't have much motivation to change things until I end up with a new display

jachin99

I know it's based on Android but that was a fire stick. I was thinking more in line with the shield. No could always stick with a PC but at that point I might as well keep wmc

Guest asrequested

I know it's based on Android but that was a fire stick. I was thinking more in line with the shield. No could always stick with a PC but at that point I might as well keep wmc

mpv is cross platform, but the official release is for windows.

There is an Android repository, but it's very underdeveloped. It's been in the Android TV app for a long time (including Shield), but it's now being removed.

On XBOX, it should work much better than Android, but we'll have to see how well, when it gets introduced.

Is there a plan to add MPV to the Android TV client? 

What, exactly, are you looking for by requesting MPV?

jachin99

I was hoping to get better picture quality but mostly stability if I end up using the Xbox. I like the Xbox because it has streaming apps that work with a remote and a uhd drive so it should be current for a while.

I was hoping to get better picture quality

Why do you think you'll get better picture quality with MPV on Android TV?  What is wrong with the quality now?

but mostly stability if I end up using the Xbox. 

Adding MPV to the Android TV app will give you better stability on the Xbox...? ;)