Router question

all4dom

all4dom

If I were to purchase the new netgear nighthawk router that is the ax (wifi 6) model, can I add an ac extender because netgear does not make an ac extender? I have an ethernet cable that runs from upstairs to downstairs so its plugged in directly. Emby server is downstairs & modem & router are upstairs.

GiGo

I run a Synology Router and have a couple of TP Link Wireless extenders.

My setup;

Downstairs - Modem

Cable upstairs to Router

Router to 24 port 1gb switch

Power Line Extender 'hub' wired from Switch

1 extender in the kitchen

1 extender on the garage

I have in the previously plugged in Netgear power line extenders and they have worked too :) 

The TP Link extenders are only 2.4ghz, but I think the maximum speed with power line adapters is 100mpbs so having an ac extender might be pointless

(https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/network-wifi/what-is-powerline-3491484/) is a good write up.

If it helps I run a Tablet in my workshop via my TP link extender to stream emby and it works great, emby sorts out the maximum quality etc... 

Hope my 2p worth helps.

mastrmind11

Also consider that extenders are not bidirectional, so if you have more than a couple clients doing bandwidthy stuff, it'll chew through that throughput pretty quickly.  I've gotten rid of all that stuff (exgetnders, powerline, etc) and switched everything to MoCA bridges.  Couldn't be happier.

BAlGaInTl

Also consider that extenders are not bidirectional, so if you have more than a couple clients doing bandwidthy stuff, it'll chew through that throughput pretty quickly.  I've gotten rid of all that stuff (exgetnders, powerline, etc) and switched everything to MoCA bridges.  Couldn't be happier.

I run a MoCA bridge in my office. I'm very happy with it. I also have a drawer full of "other" solutions that didn't work nearly as well.

• Like 1

GiGo

Forgive my ignorance, with MoCA bridges can you use the standard coaxial aerial points in the home? If so why I haven't I heard of these before? :wacko:

mastrmind11

Forgive my ignorance, with MoCA bridges can you use the standard coaxial aerial points in the home? If so why I haven't I heard of these before? :wacko:

Yes. Uses the coax in your walls. Literally what cable providers use to communicate between cable boxes, dvrs, etc. There are some caveats though that I can get into if you decide to explore the option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GiGo

Yes. Uses the coax in your walls. Literally what cable providers use to communicate between cable boxes, dvrs, etc. There are some caveats though that I can get into if you decide to explore the option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cheers, I've actually blanked off all my coax sockets in my house as I got rid of my TV licence and thought to myself would be such a good idea to use the spaces for LAN ports.

I do remember using BNC connectors back in the nineties to connect computers together in my parents home and from memory I swear we (my brother and I) were using coax cable.

I'm moving house soon so might look more into it as it will save drilling holes in ceilings for cables!

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

My first network was Coax/BNC. Had to make sure you terminated everything properly. :)

If I were looking at a new home, I would look for one that is already setup with conduit. That way you can run any kind of cables you want. Second option would be pre-wired with Cat-6.

GiGo

My first network was Coax/BNC. Had to make sure you terminated everything properly. :)

If I were looking at a new home, I would look for one that is already setup with conduit. That way you can run any kind of cables you want. Second option would be pre-wired with Cat-6.

That would be good! But i'm not looking at 'new' homes, I imagine I'll be doing a fair but of new cabling lol

Guest asrequested

That would be good! But i'm not looking at 'new' homes, I imagine I'll be doing a fair but of new cabling lol

I envy you.