Hardware Needs?

gjviii
Go to solution Solved by techywarrior,

gjviii

Can someone tell me what hardware is needed for Livetv?   My current set up is coax to Comcast cable box hdmi out to tv.  I am trying to avoid purchasing another cable box or cable card.  Is there a hardware device that I could plug my cablebox into, when the cable box is not plug into the tv. 

techywarrior

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do but Live TV only works if there is a tuner attached to the server (either internally as a PCI/PCIe card, externally as USB or as a network tuner).

You can't just plug the cable box into your PC and get Live TV support.

Koleckai Silvestri

In order to get your Comcast cable into Live TV, you need to order a Cable Card from Comcast. This will be plugged into a tuner, either installed in our computer or a separate device on your network. It is recommended to go with a network based tuner like the HDHomerun Prime from Silicon Dust. This will give you three-channel tuner that you can use for Live TV and as channels in a DVR style system.

You would get the cable card, insert it in the HDHomerun Prime, connect everything to your network and then activate the setup with Comcast.

gjviii

Thanks for the responses.  I have had a cable card in the past from Comcast and have NO luck with them at all.  it seemed like it wouldn't work every other day and when I would call Comcast support, no one ever knew what they were and how to work support it.   So I would have to schedule a Saturday (I work) apt onlt to wait weeks for one to open...

Without fully understanding livetv, I was thinking I needed something like this  SiliconDust Video Device HDHR4-2US (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345015), only with an hdmi input instead of the coax.   If I was to buy SiliconDust Video Device HDHR4-2US, would I be able to plug in an antenna and plug the device into my network and then use it, knowing I would only get over the air channels?

Thanks for any new responses

• Solution
techywarrior

Thanks for the responses.  I have had a cable card in the past from Comcast and have NO luck with them at all.  it seemed like it wouldn't work every other day and when I would call Comcast support, no one ever knew what they were and how to work support it.   So I would have to schedule a Saturday (I work) apt onlt to wait weeks for one to open...

Without fully understanding livetv, I was thinking I needed something like this  SiliconDust Video Device HDHR4-2US (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345015), only with an hdmi input instead of the coax.   If I was to buy SiliconDust Video Device HDHR4-2US, would I be able to plug in an antenna and plug the device into my network and then use it, knowing I would only get over the air channels?

Thanks for any new responses

Yes, with the caveat that you would need to setup NextPVR (and the NextPVR plugin for MB3) or WMC (and the ServerWMC plugin for MB3).

Of course with that device you would only get over the air channels and reception would depend on the antennae and where the signals are in relation to you.

(Depending on your cable company you may also be able to get the basic channels if you plug in your coax into that HDHR4) Only if the cable company uses clearQAM for the basic channels.

• Like 1

gjviii

Yes, with the caveat that you would need to setup NextPVR (and the NextPVR plugin for MB3) or WMC (and the ServerWMC plugin for MB3).

Of course with that device you would only get over the air channels and reception would depend on the antennae and where the signals are in relation to you.

(Depending on your cable company you may also be able to get the basic channels if you plug in your coax into that HDHR4) Only if the cable company uses clearQAM for the basic channels.

My cable company is Comcast (again Horrible company) so I cant even grab the basic channels without their box.  I've investigated what an antenna will get me and for my area it doesn't look like much.  Thanks for you help