Combining identically-named folders in same library

crusher11

crusher11

I have a home video library with NBA games in it, spread across two drives for space reasons. Both have a root folder 'Games', then a folder for each decade, then a folder for each year within that decade.

When I go to the library in Emby, I see two folders both named 'Games'. With movies, these would have been combined together. Is there a way to merge them?

Hi, this was changed as a result of user feedback, to show the sub-folder layers. I suppose options are always possible for the future. Thanks.

crusher11

What do you mean by 'sub-folder layers'?

If I have two identically-named folders, it's just confusing. I always have to go in, see that it's the wrong one, then back out and go into the other one. And that's with only two, if I had more it'd be even worse.

The two root folders would only be one folder if I had the hard drive space to rearrange my files that way, which is why I named them the same thing in the hope that they'd combine into one within Emby (same as I can with having my movies library across three or four different drives at the moment).

Exactly, I mean those two layers used to be one combined layer but we changed it based on user feedback.

crusher11

I'd understand if they were labeled with the drive as well or something (ie F://Games and G://Games), but when they both say just "Games" it simply creates confusion. I have no way of knowing which is the correct folder.

Yes that could be a possible improvement. In the meantime, why not customize the image for the two of them?

• 11 months later...
CelticShady

@@CelticShady can you please go over an example of what you're asking? Thanks.

As an example if i have a folder called "Sport" on the C drive, then add another folder called "Sport" on another drive(D) to the same library folder can the 2 folders not act/merge as one? 

The issue is if i click into the Sport folder on the home screen there are 2 folders (the C and the D drive), so all the sub folders are not as one either. 

Its not an issue for movies or tv but for "home videos & photos" it is kind of

Edited by CelticShady

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, CelticShady said:

As an example if i have a folder called "Sport" on the C drive, then add another folder called "Sport" on another drive(D) to the same library folder can the 2 folders not act/merge as one? 

I would suggest looking into the several "drive pooling" options available and solve this at a file system level making your life a whole lot easier in a lot of places.

• Like 1

CelticShady
3 hours ago, ebr said:

I would suggest looking into the several "drive pooling" options available and solve this at a file system level making your life a whole lot easier in a lot of places.

I might look into it, definitely cant use raid as drives are different sizes and all data will be lost

DrivePool is the best I've tried for Windows systems.

CelticShady

I downloaded drivepool with the freetrial and its exactly what i want, thanks for the advice will definitely buy the software.

• Like 1

CelticShady
On 7/7/2020 at 4:25 PM, cayars said:

DrivePool is the best I've tried for Windows systems.

Just now, CelticShady said:

I downloaded drivepool with the freetrial and its exactly what i want, thanks for the advice will definitely buy the software.

Yes it's very easy to use once you get a handle on the "goofy" UI they use. :)

CelticShady
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes it's very easy to use once you get a handle on the "goofy" UI they use. :)

I didnt dive to deep into the settings i really only have to pool 2 folders together from different drives, it just took a minute to realize i had to put the folders i wanted to pool into  folders drivepool created  instead of everything on the drives selected being pooled

You'll understand when you play with it more.  They don't use a typical GUI like everyone else and put menus in the middle of the page that "pull out".  Hard to explain and very strange and easy to overlook.  When you try to get to options you'll understand. :)

Not hard to use, but different/strange way of doing it.

Edited by cayars

• 2 weeks later...
maximumentropy
On 5/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, Luke said:

Exactly, I mean those two layers used to be one combined layer but we changed it based on user feedback.

I'd like the option to change it back to the combined view.  Please consider prioritizing this.  Thanks!

You may want to check out this plugin 

It may have features that do what you like.

• 2 years later...
RkcCorian

Hello together,

I have a similar problem and cannot find a solution or a parameter to change the behaviour in the config. I hope you can help me 🙂

I have from two sources folder wich are named "Bilder_Videos". I cannot combine them on drive side. Therefore I have for each library the situation that the top level folder that a refered names equaly. I would like skip this level as the names are equal. I tried also Jellyfin, where this is working fine but had performance trouble (which are not there with emby, so many thanks!) so cannot use this.

I looks like this...
Library "Gemeinsam" > twice the folder "Bilder_Videos" > Folders where the pictures and videos are inside.
I would like to skip the 
"Bilder_Videos" in navigation, so that I will see Library "Gemeinsam" > 2 times the folder "Bilder_Videos" > Folders where the pictures and videos are inside

Many thanks in advance!!