Chromecasting sound only from iPhone 5

rookslide

rookslide

First, let me say thank you so much this is an awesome application and I can't say enough good about all the work that has been done to keep everything working in the ever changing tech world. Server, clients, OSes, networking, etc... you guys rock for all that you do! So I apologize for complaining at all.

I am having what I think is a unique problem. I have an iPhone 5 and two chromecast units, and other stuff, etc, etc... I can stream to the iPhone fine and I can view movies through apps on my iPad, on my main PC using windows 8, my laptop using windows 7, and etc. 

The Problem: When I attempt to use the iPhone to cast to either chromecast unit sound comes through fine but no video. However, if I jump back and forth through the first couple minutes the video sometimes kicks in. I'm not sure why jockeying it about does the trick. It isn't consistent, like forward twice and back or anything obvious but it happens with every movie (regardless of format DVD, AVI, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, etc) that I've tried at least the first time I play it. Sometimes it will remember the movie and play fine later when started cold again, sometimes it won't. Sometimes the video never displays but the sound always comes through. Most movies I have tried worked after a minute or two of messing with it. I don't have this problem casting netflix through the same phone to either unit only when casting from Media Browser app on iPhone... I have the same exact problem on my wifes iPhone 5S. I haven't tried to cast from the browser but I may try that tonight.

I don't think anyone else has reported this problem but I could be wrong, if so I apologize. It's been a long day and I missed the thread if it's out there. I tend to get unique problems so I try to exhaust all of my resources before asking for help but I'm a little full on work load lately and could really use the hand if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong from this description.

I know I should be attaching the log files but I am at work right now. Additionally, I haven't taken the time to review them when the problem has occurred. I'm usually trying to start a movie for my granddaughter to watch before she goes to bed and just am just too tired to take the time. I'm anticipating the same problem tonight and if it happens I'll try to capture the logs from during the event. I know there is homework I need to finish on this... I'm just hoping this might be something you already know about and possibly have an idea what it is I'm doing wrong.

• Like 1

Redshirt

@@darwindeeds

I have a user reporting a very similar thing on the Android client. There may be a common CC issue here.

Edited by Redshirt

darwindeeds

@@rookslide Thanks for talking time to explaining the issues and the steps to reproduce. As Redshirt mentioned this could be a CC issue but my team has rewritten all of CC and remote logic for the iPad app that is to be released very shortly. I hope it fixes all your issues, if it does, please report back. The new logic will be ported over to the iPhone app pretty soon.

It makes me feel very touched by the ways the app is being used (I'm usually trying to start a movie for my granddaughter to watch before she goes to bed) and i would love to make the experience more please for everyone. 

I would be happy to provide you a promo code for the iPad app so that you can download it at no cost. PM me.

• Like 1

Luis

This should be fixed now. There is a bug with Chromecast and Google is still working on it. It was a CSS transition problem. It didn't completed and that's what you guys were seeing a black screen.

I removed the transitions for now and everything should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

rookslide

Guys thanks to all for all the quick repsonses on this. The problem did persist at least on the few times I tried it. Now I did do some testing and found the first two movies I tried to play on one Chromecast unit worked flawlessly first try. The third one did not. None of these movies had been previously streamed to this device but one of them had been to the other device perhaps a week earlier.

When I went to the other device the same issues continued with any movie I picked. Keep in mind this was a couple hours after my initial post. (Sorry I am suffering a time lapse issue with my posts, you would think in this day and age I would be able to respond in real-time, showing signs of my age...) Anyways, by Saturday night it worked much more smoothly but still had the same glitch through the iPhone app on my wifes iPhone 5S.

Another note, when I use my first generation iPad I use the browser to connect and have no problems doing so but have never tried the app. It is a first generation iPad and can't handle the newer apps. Even using my wifes iPad Air I have only streamed to the unit using the browser never through the app nor have I tried casting it from either device, I'm not even sure if this is a feature through the browser on an iPad as yet because I've never thought to try looking for the feature in the browser.

I've only streamed to the Chromecasts through the iPhones(5/5S) but I will give the browser and the app a shot on the Air when I get the chance and let you know if it gives me any problems but I suspect it will work fine though. The problem seems isolated to phone apps based on the above posts.

Again, my apologies for not having logs to share. Thankfully, it looks like you guys are already all over this issue!

Besides, even if it is never working perfect, with minimal fiddling it works! ;-) and I don't have to go dig DVDs or Blu-Rays out of a case two rooms and three stubbed toes away, not to mention risking waking the other grandbaby in the next room. I'll fiddle with it everytime to save that agony!

Thanks for all the help guys! You Rock!

Edited by rookslide