Live TV frequently sticks on "Loading"

pa32dude

AboveUnrefined

CEC support on Roku is handled by the Roku device itself, in case that helps.

Alright, I think it was just something random going on then, not to do with Emby. Everything was fine last night and we had streams going for hours. Figures a coincidence like that happens once things start working great!

gladpants

So has the solution for this issue just been to encode everything on ROKU by default? I thought there was something happening in 9.2 to allow for better direct play.

from time to time i give this a go, but it just does not work. 

right now my m3u list does not even load properly, meaning on roku (or on pc web player). i add the m3u to live tv, frefresh, restart... open live tv and no channels.

and again, using the iptv plugin, every single ts stream i add manually plays 'direct play', no 'direct stream', no transcoding, nothing.

Edited by balazs

from time to time i give this a go, but it just does not work. 

right now my m3u list does not even load properly, meaning on roku (or on pc web player). i add the m3u to live tv, frefresh, restart... open live tv and no channels.

and again, using the iptv plugin, every single ts stream i add manually plays 'direct play', no 'direct stream', no transcoding, nothing.

@@balazs can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

I was just getting ready to post some questions about Emby Server Hardware in a different topic when I read through all the above. to get some good advice I know I need to understand my maximum transcoding needs.  For good or evil, I am committed at this point to Roku. Until the problems noted above, I was direct streaming on live TV,  Now, as noted, live tv always transcodes.  I'm trying to prepare for Black Friday Sales and a new server but the whole transcode v. direct stream thing effects how much CPU muscle I need to buy among other things.  I appreciate that you are at the mercy of ROKU for much of this, but would appreciate it if you could look in your crystal ball and help me with planning for my server build.  Best guesses would be appreciated. Should I assume I will be transcoding all live TV or will we be back to direct stream in the foreseable future, Thanks

bizarro252

Happy to help with hardware questions if you would like pm me :) I am currently running an i3 9300 and it's more than enough for my usecase of 2 streams. Use the passmark score to help guide your cpu selection imo. These are per stream suggestions:

4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)

4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)

1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score

720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score