Live TV frequently sticks on "Loading"

pa32dude

Tell her any issues she has our permission to bad mouth us. In fact we challenge her to find areas in the Roku app to bad mouth us. Find somewhere painful where doing something is not designed how it should be. Let us know. We love feedback and want to know how users really feel good, bad and ugly. Be real. Don't dumb anything down or soften the blows. Let us feel your pain if you find any. We try to keep everything just simple on Roku. It should just work. It should not take more button presses to get somewhere. Our alpha picker is on the left of the grid. (side-note: alpha picker love is coming soon too.. lol). We reduce button presses all over. Most everything "wraps" on Roku to keep these button presses minimal. You should just have to use it and it works. If this isn't the case somewhere please tell us. Also if you feel there is a feature lacking that should be there we also track those. Let us know what is important and we try to find how to make those happen.

Every issue and feature request makes it onto the tracker. no exceptions. We take customer service seriously.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

bizarro252

Haha, will do!  Regarding your comment above about HDHomeRun, they are having issues on Roku with their app as well?  I use the HDHomeRun to feed Emby LiveTV so maybe I have the perfect storm over here...

Haha, will do!  Regarding your comment above about HDHomeRun, they are having issues on Roku with their app as well?  I use the HDHomeRun to feed Emby LiveTV so maybe I have the perfect storm over here...

It should. There is but one video player and it isn't giving an error event when the error correction packets get fragmented and delayed and never arrive. LiveTV just hangs. HD Homerun might have a watchdog on the video player. We don't have that yet because we have our trusty fallback that used to work before Roku added mpeg2 support. Might not need the watchdog if we get the "wait and retune" instead for mpeg2. Could have the watchdog just on top like a cherry though just in case. Like having the doorknob lock, a deadbolt, and the slidelock. With 3 layers of protection the Video Player could be stopped.

Edited by speechles

bizarro252

@@speechles :)

I played around with the playback correction and need to test more to make sure it works but quick question about it, is it normal to have to press it twice to get it to start actually transcoding? Here are what my stats for nerds says:

5d5b5c3a42681_default.jpg

1 press

5d5b5c4a05f62_1press.jpg

2 press

5d5b5c595ce18_2press.jpg

3 press

5d5b5c69d924f_3press.jpg

After 3 presses the option disappears, seems to not change anything on the 1st or 3rd press? This is on the beta Roku App (you convinced her lol) EDIT: Stable does the same thing, have to select it twice to get it to transcode.

Edit:

Answered in posts 17-19 here

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76568-livetv-loading/&do=findComment&comment=778946

Edited by bizarro252

We're looking into this. We think this content should probably be doing a full transcode anyway, and that will probably end up resolving it.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

using emby on roku...

the thing i dont understand still is how come ts streams work perfectly on the emby iptv plugin, but not on live tv?

i normally have all transcoding and remuxing disabled in server settings, because i prefer adjusting my media to ensure direct play rather than having to transcode on the fly. and most iptv ts streams work perfectly in the iptv plugin with direct play, but on live tv it only works if i have some of the transcoding, remuxing options enabled... and yes, even then i get a "loading" message every now and then, which does not happen in the iptv plugin with direct play.

Edited by balazs

bizarro252

hi,

using emby on roku...

the thing i dont understand still is how come ts streams work perfectly on the emby iptv plugin, but not on live tv?

i normally have all transcoding and remuxing disabled in server settings, because i prefer adjusting my media to ensure direct play rather than having to transcode on the fly. and most iptv ts streams work perfectly in the iptv plugin with direct play, but on live tv it only works if i have some of the transcoding, remuxing options enabled... and yes, even then i get a "loading" message every now and then, which does not happen in the iptv plugin with direct play.

@@speechles can confirm but from what I have gathered by reading his replies across various threads on this topic is that for live tv there can be bitrate spikes, which vary by provider, location, etc and these spikes can screw with the Roku, and it doesnt know how to handle it.  You likley do not have this issue on IPTV.  And transcoding the livetv stream also smooths out these spikes from making it to the Roku and confusing it.

@@speechles can confirm but from what I have gathered by reading his replies across various threads on this topic is that for live tv there can be bitrate spikes, which vary by provider, location, etc and these spikes can screw with the Roku, and it doesnt know how to handle it.  You likley do not have this issue on IPTV.  And transcoding the livetv stream also smooths out these spikes from making it to the Roku and confusing it.

exactly. The re-broadcaster of the antenna makes that channel available on a different frequency so you can receive it. These "translator" stations are capable of also injecting their own streams into the broadcast stream at any moment. This injection can be commercials overlaid over the network originals so you get local commercials. It can be done at any moment. It is these "translator" style broadcasters that are manipulate the bandwidth and this causes spikes because of how messy they are doing this. They are just out to claim your eyes with their advertising. The fact you can still watch the broadcast stream is secondary to their agenda. First is that you see their local commercials injected. Most of these "translator" style rebroadcasters are barely funded through advertising and donations. So it is difficult for them to get better. There is not much money in running rebroadcast "translators" for broadcast OTA TV. It means most run on shoe string budgets and this is the result.

https://www.nationaltranslatorassociation.org/

Who truly suffers from the loss of rural TV service?
  • If you live in a small community served by TV translators, you do.
  • If you have gone into the storm cellar after hearning a tornado warning on TV, you do.
  • If you enjoy local news and programs delivered to your town from distant cities, you do.
  • If you're that nice couple in Nevada and hope to turn on your TV and receive anything, you do.
Edited by speechles

but what i dont understand is how come a ts stream from an m3u list works on roku direct play in the iptv plugin within emby, but in the 'live tv' section it won't?

but what i dont understand is how come a ts stream from an m3u list works on roku direct play in the iptv plugin within emby, but in the 'live tv' section it won't?

the iptv plugin isn't actually direct playing is it? I hope it isn't. You better hope it isn't. Roku can/does/is watching all streaming url endpoints that come out of Emby. They watch these for metrics and to spot .. piracy. Such as pirated iptv links that some users may try to use with Emby. Now while that isn't condoned and wrong and all that there is little that can be done to stop it. To protect you and Emby such links are first fed through Emby server and transcoded (directstream/remux/transcode) through ffmpeg to provide a url back to your Emby server. Not to the source of the stream. You should not be seeing direct play at all.

depending on your iptv provider most of them use bandwidth shaping on their network streams. They can adjust the stream after the fact and you will get horrible quality for some fast movement. Rather than the bitrate spikes tremendously. It is a trade off. IPTV takes this route because to a streaming service bitrate spikes are.. kicks in the head. Enough kicks in the head does the same as OTA Tv will do. The loading/retrieving bar appears. IPTV is after the fact. It isn't actually "Live" TV. It is catered TV that is customized to stream nicely.

Edited by speechles

by direct playing i mean that no encoding or transcoding is done, since i have them disabled in my server settings. it does, of course, go through the emby server, so it's not 'direct' in terms of the ts stream url and the roku box. if thats what you mean...

Edited by balazs

Did you try m3u8 in the liveTV section instead of m3u? HLS on Roku use m3u8 which is what this would be.

yes, i tried that. so in live tv, when its m3u8, trying to start a stream, it kicks me out to the roku home screen. when its a ts stream, it says in red http header error.

Edited by balazs

yes, i tried that. so in live tv, when its m3u8, trying to start a stream, it kicks me out to the roku home screen. when its a ts stream, it says in red http header error.

are you just rename the extension.. or getting the appropriate container?

You need to get from your provider of iptv the m3u8 or ts, not just rename the m3u. This is what you are doing?

until emby server version 3.5 (windows), live tv played both ts and m3u8 streams 'direct play'

i tried this a few months ago and even now, if i replaced my server with this earlier version, these streams work without encoding/transcoding

Edited by balazs

until emby server version 3.5 (windows), live tv played both ts and m3u8 streams 'direct play'

i tried this a few months ago and even now, if i replaced my server with this earlier version, these streams work without encoding/transcoding

@@balazs, can we please look at an example? We can get to the bottom of the reason for this. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 1 month later...
AboveUnrefined

Hello!

I've been using the beta roku application for watching live TV with the HDHomerunPRIME and still keep seeing the issue going on - lately it seems to be going on more often.

I might've missed something, but I thought I was reading that something was getting fixed around this issue; maybe there was but I haven't enabled what needs to be enabled to make things work more smoothly...

Sorry if I missed something, but I keep getting the "Loading" screen a lot now and it's a little frustrating at times -- otherwise everything else has been perfectly fine.

Hello!

I've been using the beta roku application for watching live TV with the HDHomerunPRIME and still keep seeing the issue going on - lately it seems to be going on more often.

I might've missed something, but I thought I was reading that something was getting fixed around this issue; maybe there was but I haven't enabled what needs to be enabled to make things work more smoothly...

Sorry if I missed something, but I keep getting the "Loading" screen a lot now and it's a little frustrating at times -- otherwise everything else has been perfectly fine.

I experience similar issues with some of my Roku's. 

Are you using the Roku 3? 

AboveUnrefined

I experience similar issues with some of my Roku's. 

Are you using the Roku 3? 

I'm using a TCL Roku TV, I don't think there's a version issue going on with regard to this (I could be wrong but I don't think it's happening due to something being old about the hardware).

Please update the beta to .188 and see if this is improved.

Thanks.

I just did an update now (was on .187) so fingers crossed that this helps resolve it!

AboveUnrefined

Has this helped?

So far it does seem to be a lot better after updating the beta app on my Roku TV, I haven't had any stall outs with that "loading" screen and we were using it a lot last night... I'm hoping this update is what fixes it!

bizarro252

For me .188 forces transcode without having to manually select it via playback correction and is not locking up the tuners on my HDHomeRun like it would when I manually forced it to transcode via playback correction.  So far so good on LiveTV, will get some more testing in this coming weekend :).

AboveUnrefined

So far it does seem to be a lot better after updating the beta app on my Roku TV, I haven't had any stall outs with that "loading" screen and we were using it a lot last night... I'm hoping this update is what fixes it!

I'm not sure if this is related to the update or not, but I have been noticing random CEC device hang ups while playing a stream last night. It's a bit of an issue since the TV speakers will engage and I no longer have control of the amp controlling the sound of the TV. I have to exit the application and go into settings to reestablish the CEC/ARC control -- I'll post an update after some time to confirm this, it could've just been a fluke going on last night.