Native SMB with Auth Support

spanitz5
Go to solution Solved by spanitz5,

spanitz5

Brand new to emby, but not to media servers. Was hoping running emby on linux and mounting a remote SMB share would be supported natively in the emby gui, but that doesn't apepar to be so.  At least not with a modern version of Windows where anonymous access is disabled by default.  The only info I found on this is here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46458-32104-native-smb-support

So that's 1.5 years old.  Has any progress been made to support SMB with username / password?

Edited by spanitz5

spanitz5

It helps, at least to know it's not being loked at and theonlyway is mounts.  I did go down the path of mounting the SMB share and got it working, at least from an SSH session.  I can see all the files.and open them up.  To test that I created a test.txt file and opened it in nano.  As I set up the permissions for read / write in samba and the share is read / write as well, I assumed this would work  It appears this is not the case.

Can you tell me exactly what permissions are required on the samba side for the samba user that emby is using to connect to the samba share with?

Can you tell me exactly what permissions are required on the samba side for the samba user that emby is using to connect to the samba share with?

Do you mean for the native support in Emby? Since we don't support providing credentials, it would have to be shared anonymously. Does that answer your question?

spanitz5

Sorry no, I mean I mapped a mount point in dietpi to a windows share using a windows username / pw.  I can go the the mount point /mnt/ and issue a ls -al and see:

root@DietPi-LR:/mnt# ls -al
total 40
drwxr-xr-x  6 root   root    4096 Apr 20 00:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 21 root   root    4096 Mar  4 13:06 ..
drwxrwxr-x  6 dietpi dietpi  4096 Apr 19 14:52 dietpi_userdata
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root    4096 Mar  4 12:56 ftp_client
drwxrwx---  2 dietpi dietpi 20480 Apr 20 01:02 media-hb
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root    4096 Mar  4 12:56 nfs_client

I then go into the media-hb folder and issue ls -al and get:

root@DietPi-LR:/mnt/media-hb# ls -al
total 37893661
drwxrwx--- 2 dietpi dietpi      20480 Apr 20 01:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root   root         4096 Apr 20 00:58 ..
-rwxrwx--- 1 dietpi dietpi 3209012814 Jan  5 23:14 Aquaman.2018.mp4
-rwxrwx--- 1 dietpi dietpi 1552435789 Sep  1  A.Quiet.Place.2018.mp4

Not sure if that's correct or not permission wise on the *nix side.  On the windows side the windows user was set read only on the share and files but has since been changed to full access.

So I think I'm missing something with the emby user on *nix correct?

Edited by spanitz5

• Solution
spanitz5

What a total pain on a dietpi distro.  Finally figured it out (the Linux mount part).  Can't imagine your typical user ever being able to get this working.

Here's what I had to do becuase of the lack of native SMB / CIFS / SAMBA support.

Go to your windows system (this was done on W2k16 and W10) and create a new user.

EX: embymediashare

Then go to a media folder and share it out.  Don't use simple sharing, used advanced.

Create a share name:

EX: stream

Go to share permissions and add the new user you created above and give them at least read (this is all that's needed for basic streaming).

You should not have to mess file permissions, but in case you do just add the same user with read rights.

Now to your Linux box:

SSH to your box and create a new user group:

EX; groupadd mediasharesgroup

Then add the user(s) to that group:

EX; usermod -aG mediasharesgroup emby

Then edit fstab and add the source server and share

EX; nano /etc/fstab

Once in nano:
//192.168.0.10/stream /mnt/media-share-1 cifs username=embymediashare,password=**********,iocharset=utf8,uid=emby,gid=mediashares,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=3.0,_netde$_netdev,nofail 0 0

Exit and save

Now you should be good to finally go into Emby and set up a library.  To do that just paste the new mount point into the add dialog:
EX: /mnt/media-share-1

Finish entering in the rest of the info and save and that should be it.  If this is already in the wiki or a tutorial somehwere, I missed it.  The biggest gotcha was that the dietpi config scripts mount  the windows share using a dietpi user which of course the emby user has no access to.  Once that was resolved by using a group, all was good.  If I wasn;t trying to build this on a SBC for personal reasons and I would never recommend this to the average user, I would steer them to running it on windows.