Update to Version 4.1.0.26

Kent

sluggo45

Iconv is a widely used tool to convert between charsets (usually something unusual to UTF-8). Iconv itself is the command line utility and libiconv is the library (which is used by the CLI as well as directly leveraged by applications such as Emby). A cursory search of these forums will show you that the Iconv package has been a standard part of the Emby Server install for a long time.

I have no idea why your jail is different and reading your posts is exhausting so I'm going to bow out of this thread; hopefully someone else steps up to help. Good luck to you and no hard feelings.

Jaslo

@@sluggo45

Thanks for the trolling support and im sorry that my long informative and understanding posts may have hurt your feeling. Too bad that you have such a negative attitude in such a great community. I wish you the best and hope you develop some better interactions skills in the future then trying to use defamatory and undermining context in your posts and always trying to have the last stab as you have a great extensive background with BSD and are very knowledgeable and is great for helping, contributing to and nurturing a developing community / support form. thanks.

@@Luke / makarai
So after deep diving this, I'm thinking / seeing that the issue here for myself and other freenas users is that the plugin script that is provided via freenas looks to be pointing to a potentially broken repository that freebsd is using and that was corrected in the last 3 months. (found this on a competitor media browser forum) and that you need to edit your freebsd.config, rebuild your catalog and point to a quarterly updated repo instead of the main one:

good repo:
url: "pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly/",

BAD:
url: "pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/${ABI}/latest",

Upon forcing my repo to change to the new location i was finally able to see the new iconv aka converters/iconv. 

Issue: the old / broken repo doesnt contain nano via the emby plugin install script and therefore you cannot download it / install it to correct the above change without doing some very advance things.

Recommendation:

1. Manually create a new JAIL from scratch (make sure its the latest) on your freenas.

2. Upon creation, open up browser windows side by side, go through all the jail settings (edit the jail from the jails screen) and clone all the check boxs / config (note to beginners, dont clone the IP / Host names or MAC addresses, let it do it automatically).

3. open the shell of your newly created jail and do the following: pkg update
       you will get a message saying its not installed and would you like to fetch it. type Y and hit enter.

4. confirm while its updating, that the first message displayed after the above command is:
Bootstapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly

5. if its updating from the above, then that is the good repo that isnt broken.

6. run: pkg update

7. run:pkg upgrade

8. after verifying your packages are all upto date run the following:
      pkg install ImageMagick6 libvpx mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi libraw

9. this will take some time as its downloading a crap load of dependencies and such. be patient. 

10. run this command to pull emby server from the emby GIT when the above is complete:
        pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.2.0.10/emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.10_amd64.txz

11. run the following command to tell your new Jail that emby need to run automatically as a service (summed up):
sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf emby_server_enable="YES"

12. run the following command to start your emby server:
service emby-server start

Now i have created a brand new jail, with Iconv installed and i will be adding some libraries to it to see if i can break it (as my "broken / upgraded version missing iconv from the plugin page of 4.0.2.0_1 is still working fine being upgraded to 4.2.0.10) I will comment an update later today if i have any other issues after migrating my settings here. 

I want to thank makarai for posting all his information so i could dissect it and figure out why stock freenas plugin jails were missing this compontent and i wouldnt have been able to do it without his help. @Emby team, take note of Makarai as so far hes been of amazing assistance!

Edited by Jaslo
  • Like 3

Jaslo

For advance users not wanting to do all the above work and reconfigure their emby, you can try the below if you are able to get a txt editor on your plugin installation (I was lazy as i have spent my entire morning and 3 coffees on this and just made it from scratch):

Disclaimer: Credit goes to the community over on IXSystems forums by the username of saviodesign. these are his instructions with my twist as i wouldnt have figures this out without his help:

1. pkg install nano     (or however you get your txt editor on your jail)

2. mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos

3. ln -s /etc/pkg ~/repo1 

4. ln -s /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos ~/repo2 

5. cd ~/repo1

6. nano FreeBSD.conf (or what ever txt editor your using)

7. Modify the URL line from:
to
hit ctrl+x to exit, then for yes, then hit the enter key to save.

8.pkg update && upgrade

9. go back to your FreeBSD.conf file and disable the default config repo
change the line “enabled: yes” to “enabled: no
hit ctrl+x to exit, then for yes, then hit the enter key to save

our entries should look similar to the entries below:

FreeBSD: {
mirror_type: "srv",
signature_type: "fingerprints",
fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
enabled: no
}

10. cd ~/repo2

11: copy and paste the following:

FreeBSD: {
mirror_type: "srv",
signature_type: "fingerprints",
fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
enabled: yes
}

it 
ctrl+x to exit, then for yes, then hit the enter key to save

12.  Finally, run forced updates
pkg update && upgrade

• Like 3

MRobi

@@Jaslo FYI, the default repository configuration is quarterly and not latest. The repository itself is not broken. If the build of Emby you are using was built against the quarterly repository and you are using the latest repository, you could have newer versions of dependencies than are supported by Emby which will cause you to have issues. The same is true if it were built against latest and you have quarterly, your dependencies may be outdated and not support the features Emby is trying to do.

Also, you should be using "url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly"," By forcing the repository to a specific version of FreeBSD, you are setting yourself up for future issues as you update your system down the road.

You stated a few posts back that you follow @@makarai 's script for setting up your new jail, but his script clearly sets the packages to quarterly ""packagesite": "https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly"," which likely means if you ended up on the latest repo you've done some extra steps along the way which makes it very difficult for anybody trying to help you. 

• Like 2

Jaslo

@@Jaslo FYI, the default repository configuration is quarterly and not latest. The repository itself is not broken. If the build of Emby you are using was built against the quarterly repository and you are using the latest repository, you could have newer versions of dependencies than are supported by Emby which will cause you to have issues. The same is true if it were built against latest and you have quarterly, your dependencies may be outdated and not support the features Emby is trying to do.

Also, you should be using "url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly"," By forcing the repository to a specific version of FreeBSD, you are setting yourself up for future issues as you update your system down the road.

You stated a few posts back that you follow @@makarai 's script for setting up your new jail, but his script clearly sets the packages to quarterly ""packagesite": "https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:11:amd64/quarterly"," which likely means if you ended up on the latest repo you've done some extra steps along the way which makes it very difficult for anybody trying to help you. 

@@MRobi,

I wish that was the case. I used the one that is available via the plugin page of Freenas. I even tried doing a new jail via the plugin page and it pointed to the latest vs quarterly. I then set up a brand new freenas install on a separate pc, updated it, then did the plugin install via the plugin page from freenas, and it was set to latest instead of quarterly.  

So more or less on a brand new stock squeaky clean freenas setup, and used the plugin published in freenas. there is no customization or repointing or anything. 

Also you could say i used a bad choice of words. let me rephrase...

The repository that the automated script found in the Freenas Plugin repository from my experience points to the Latest repo of which users could find instabilities and or packages that may be unavailable. I summed it up by saying broken as if you use it, your going to be missing key items aka packages for your install and or running possibly a unsupported version.

I did not use Makarai's script due to it being hosted and run from a third party other than Emby GIT and there is nothing wrong with that, i just prefer to use ones from the core / person who made the product rather then a third party so that if it breaks something, or there is a issue with it, the only person to blame is emby. I'm all about Risk assessment and its a risk / peace of mind I just dont want to do and its my personal choice hense i posted the steps with the help from Makarai's stuff that points to the main core GIT of Emby for the people who may refer to as paranoid like me.

Some people put OEM parts on their cars, some do after market and thats their choice. there is no right or wrong.

• Like 1

Jaslo

So to clear the air.

My setup was as follows:

FreeNAS version 11.2-stable - fully updated

Plugin install of Emby version 4.0.2.0_1 as per published in freenas setups.

Ran emby since april, no issues other than the playback glitches on chromecasts and missing of latest features and so on that are well known for that version.

I tried in that jail, to upgrade to 4.2.0.10 by following @Makarai instructions that he posted via manually doing it via shell. NOT USING HIS SCRIPT.

i got all the dependencies other than ICONV aka converters/iconv as to upgrade my stock emby jail provided via the plugin page, i had to install a list of new dependency packages not present in the 4.0.2.0_1. that is where my issue was. this is not something i did from scratch like some script kiddy. i was running pure official emby jail. so everytime Slugger referenced me doing something or changing something or over thinking something i was not... i was stating the facts, and exactly what i had done.

So by doing my posted instructions above, i was able to do its manually, with pure emby from the emby repo, with no possibility of any third party configurations changing the setup or anything. I posted it as i spent 7 hours this morning which i could have been doing other things as i thought someone wanting to run pure unaltered emby from emby git could benefit from it.

• Like 1

Jaslo

@@Synn and Jail_Bait

Not a problem at all but the real thanks goes to @makarai as he was the one that gave me the insight and listed the info i needed to put everything together.

@ anyone else that feels they benefited, please give thanks to @
Makarai. i just used the info, troubleshooted my own issues and listed my steps and challenges in the event someone else had the same problems.

makarai

@@Synn and Jail_Bait

Not a problem at all but the real thanks goes to @makarai as he was the one that gave me the insight and listed the info i needed to put everything together.

@ anyone else that feels they benefited, please give thanks to @Makarai. i just used the info, troubleshooted my own issues and listed my steps and challenges in the event someone else had the same problems.

Thanks mate, I read your post and i am seriously confuesed if it took you 7 hours to install it via the posted method. I hope that is not the case.

Jaslo

Thanks mate, I read your post and i am seriously confuesed if it took you 7 hours to install it via the posted method. I hope that is not the case.

I was stating it took me 7 hours total to troubleshoot, replicate, and document what i had to do. Remember when I disassembled and installed freenas on a brand new computer as a temporary "Lab" if you would so i could prove my findings? Also the countless times i deleted the jails, recreated them, reading the logs for errors and looking up the errors in the logs, researched iconv, looking at the package repo's, ect. 

It didnt take me 7 hours just to make a new jail with the instructions.... thats insane unless i was on dial up.... it took me 7 hours to get from point A of my troubleshooting as I didnt want to have to recreate my jail (lazyness) and do it by using the third party script (personal choice). The 7 hours was me sitting infront of my computers, doing trial and error, reading forms, reading logs and so on... thought that was a implied....

MRobi

@@Luke @@makarai Just thinking out loud here, What if we had an install instruction thread that was stickied and locked? These guys are right in saying the info is all here on the board, but it's scattered throughout multiple threads and not easily searchable. I know @@makarai had started one a while back and then it got diluted with comments and posts and is now somewhere way down the list and outdated.

It could cover the 3 install options; install via the plugin, installing via @@makarai 's script, installing via shell and also cover steps to upgrade to newer versions. It could even go a bit more in depth and cover latest stable and latest beta.

It seems kind of redundant with the install instructions on the website, but I think it could help some people out having a 1 stop spot for all the possible install and upgrade methods.

The website is the proper place for the instructions. Attempting to duplicate them on the forum will just end up resulting in one of them falling out of date.

Baenwort

Is there a breakdown on which versions of Emby should be on quarterly and which on latest? There's been a changing answer on which repo to run and I've lost track.

Is there a breakdown on which versions of Emby should be on quarterly and which on latest? There's been a changing answer on which repo to run and I've lost track.

Explanation on that is here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73548-on-the-fly-transcoding-fails-with-emby-4205-beta/?p=744600

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.