Update to Version 4.1.0.26

Kent

Jaslo

Hi Luke, I want to start off by saying you are a great contributor to the forms and provide valuable feedback and your avatar brings joy to most of us when we see your responses.... however i have been waiting very patiently for the new update instructions to get off of the glitchy 4.0.2.0... I check back here daily to see if the new instructions are posted on the main emby.media site and they are not... the current version listed with freenas is still 4.0.2.0 on their plugin page and the emby download page is saying to use the plugin page to install it.

I get that BSD is sometime more difficult to publish the script to install the jails via the GUI and it takes time.. however it has been a long time now that has passed since the initial release of 4.0.2.0 and even at that, when this version was release for Freenas it was already outdated by the time it hit the plugin page. I'm not asking for miracles here. im not asking for you to stop what your doing and fix this. All i'm asking is that if its that difficult to work with BSD and Xi system to publish the jail script to be incorporated into their plugin page to please at least post the instructions for advance users to do the installs manually on their freenas server. Now before someone comments and says ummm look here and why havent you read this and such, I have... and i would like to consider my self one of the more advance users with my background and I have been doing this for a while however due to all the mono crashes with the bad versions being released creating a unstable Emby Server application its hard for me to spend the time doing trial and error and then finding the needle in the hay stack on which versions has some kinks but fixes majority of the issues we are experiencing.

Again, I don't want you and your team to stop what their doing and make a miracle happen... im a long time emby supporter. i am a loyal supporter. i love emby however since my move to freenas to make a all in one stop shop for my media server needs, i'm getting pushed away to find a alternative media server on their plugin page and i dont want to leave.

All i'm asking is to do something to help the freenas users. in my own personal opinion, why not create a thread strictly for freenas users and list the stable versions and non stable versions. that way for the advance users who are waiting patiently, reading the forms, paying to be a emby supporter have something to go off of instead of spending hours of troubleshooting and killing their jails, having to recreate them or repair them via ssh/shell/console. im begging for some support here... i know the package upgrade commands to pull from GIT, i just want to know the newest stable version we can use or even list multiple versions you suggest we use that you and your team knows that works even if it has a minor bug, list it with the bug and what to expect. thats way better then leaving us stranded here and telling us the instructions will be posted in the next day or so and 15 days later there isn't....

please... help us.... 

• Like 2

Accurus

+1 For the above. I really agree with Jaslo's comments above. I gave up the last time on an update that went bad and just reinstalled to the latest version. I would rather not do that again and get some support from the developer. I am a lifetime member and I truly believe in potential that Emby has. This isn't an effort to hate on Emby as much as it is asking for Emby to treat its customers with the respect that its paying customers have treated it with.

• Like 2

Jaslo

I also want to point out that yes my account is new and I don't have any upvotes or likes to back my statements of being a die hard Emby fan. I just have never had to create an account on this forum as i take my time and read and understand the entire thread from start to finish. 99% of the time i don't have any questions and I return at a later date to see any advancements or any new feedback. this forum is a great place to not only assist myself or my friends that use Emby. So i understand if you overlook my post being a newbie to the forums, however i know you can check my email address and see that i have been a supporter for a long time running. I have used a extensive list of other Media servers since 2010 and by far Emby is my favorite. you could say i have a private community of Emby users I assist that are friends and colleagues of mine of which are 70% windows users, 15% or so linux / unix and the rest that i would consider advance users running on virtual platforms or NAS devices. I only recommend Emby, due to the intuitive admin interface, ease of use and the great list of features and playback abilities.

Anyways i digress...  I just wanted to show I care, and i want Emby to thrive however im seeing more and more people on the freenas side getting a bad taste in their mouths over this and I just want to help people work through their troubles.... I dont want to be one of those people and now im sounding like a bad soap opera... LOL

Anyways Luke, I know you will pull through for us one way or another and thank you for your years of devotion and help on Emby. I just hope you can give us a alternate channel / method we can do or utilize in the intern of the freenas plugin scripts getting updated with new versions and published.

• Like 1

makarai

@@Jaslo

I think my quick explanation here is still up to date.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/page-7&do=findComment&comment=619899

and you can check my repo as well, master is latest official stable, and beta latest tested working beta) typically i am one small version behind, feel free to clone and look throught the scripts.

https://github.com/ma-karai/iocage-plugin-emby

• Like 4

sluggo45

+1 on following Makarai's instructions in his linked repo. To put it quite simply, if the Emby team ever did create a dedicated forum/set of instructions for FreeNAS they would most likely just use Makarai's instructions on his repo anyway so why not skip the line and go there now? :-)

Everything you need is there, for the current stable as well as the beta.

Jaslo

By no means am I trying to be rude or belittling by any means with what I am about to say and I hope you can respect my point of view on this. I have a hard time trusting community automated scripts for OS and advance server applet / application installs from third parties that have no affiliation with the core product. With my field of work I do application deployments to a large set of computers and I write scripts and such for these tasks from scratch and never rely on anything unless I go over it with a fine tooth comb as I have to to protect my environment. I'm always trying to put the best foot forward and understand the risks. By no means am I saying Makarai script is bad by any means or not to trust it. From what I have read and seen, it looks like it has helped a lot of people. I however would like to see this picked up by emby or assign Makarai as their BSD deployment script contributor and hosed via the emby git. Not that I don't have any faith in Makarai abilities as I'm sure he's way more talented than me with BSD with the work he has done here. I give him props there. I would feel safe and more comfortable as I just can't afford the risk if a worst possible case scenario would ever happen due to my limited spare time.... I hope you understand and please no offense at all.

• Like 2

sluggo45

The only thing I understand is you are seriously over-thinking this :) No offense.

If you already write scripts and such then one look at, for example, emby-server.json on Makarai's repo will show you everything it does, plainly. In fact it's just a more up to date version of the same plugin file Emby hosts. And he's posted jail creation instructions that are pretty standard. That's it. You don't even have to pull it (the artifact) from his repo, you can just use it as a guide and pull the download from Emby's own site if you want. Point being we're not talking about compiled or obfuscated code that might have something hidden here; it would take even a layman 5 minutes to figure out what everything does.

The official, supported, FreeNAS instructions are: Use the plugin. It's already part of the FreeNAS distro. If you want to use newer, or even beta, versions, then leaning on community help is the way to go and in no way unique to Emby. Or wait until they update it. Whatever.

Edited by sluggo45
  • Like 1

makarai

@@Jaslo,

you can also do what the script/plugin does by hand. Involves clicking throught the gui to create a jail tho.

#Create new jail 11.2 with the FreeNAS GUI 
#enter the jail shell

And follow the official instruction https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

pkg install ImageMagick6 libvpx mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi libraw
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.2.0.10/emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.10_amd64.txz
sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf emby_server_enable="YES"
service emby-server start 2>/dev/null

restart jail, enjoy

Edited by makarai
  • Like 3

specsnow

I've been running 4.0.2.0_1 for a while now and don't experience any issues. My server is FreeNAS 11.2U3 and the jail is 11.2. I mostly play from Apple TV but will occasionally use a Fire TV or Chrome. I originally installed using the directions on the download page but reinstalled a few weeks ago from ports to sync up.

Sure, I'd like to be running the latest and greatest like everyone else, but I'm happy to wait for the smart guys to get it all working right. Keep up the great work Emby Team! 

Jaslo

Thanks makarai. I'm not fluent with BSD like windows operating systems as with my Feild of work all we do is windows for the exception of some app servers, db and so on. So for me to take a look into the repo and go over it and research the parts of which I don't understand (troll que to call me lazy) is time I would love to invest however I don't have to invest. (Bad soap opera part que here) I work on average 55 to 80 hours per week alone on my full time job, I have a family that I try very hard to give all my free time too as I'm on call 24/7/365 so I have to juggle my time while driving a car that's in fire through hoops on fire while I'm on fire lol. So not that I refuse to do it, I just don't have the time unfortunately. To give you an example, I ordered all my hardware for my freenas server in January and I finally got around to building it and ramping it over march and up and running April 2nd moving from a windows server I was using. (Spent about 2 hours per weekend to build everything like mounting my drive cages, imaging, pool creation and copying data, ect totalling like 8 hours). So (call me a snobby) but I just want my stuff to work with the least amount of troubleshooting and late night hitting my head of my desk as possible so I can work on my other chores my wife gives me to do around the house as I'm a slave to my queen. Plus with the kids she relies a little on emby so if it's not working I'm hearing about it lol. Jensen the move to freenas as more or less I backup my config file every other day and all my storage is hot swappable and zfs2 for data redundancy (que the eye roll but to be honest, I'd rather sink the money into less storage then get screwed due to negligence) so it's 1 less thing I have to worry about in my life.

Anyways, thanks again for the all the info. I just wanted some more price of mind

• Like 2

Accurus

I get that their are community resources but what I find concerning is that there have been issues with FreeNas installs and support. We have threads were Emby staff is asking for data to address issues and even stating that if users upgrade to X version that it will fix Y problem. Users do that and then it doesn’t work. Then we are told there will be updates install instructions in a matter of days. Now it has been weeks and continues inquiry is met with silence.

I think there is nothing wrong with a paying user to ask for an official piece of guidance since it was offered by the company. So far I see no response from Emby. The response to a paying customer in this case is wrong and the “we get it” move on line is dismissive of the issue and of how careful the user has been in trying to jot point the finger.

I too have paid for Emby and have had issues and ultimately user directions on this forum cost me a lot of my time in troubleshooting which led me to reinstall Emby server and lose even more time. Again the input is welcome but I think my experience gets to Jaslo’s point about time. My current instance of Emby has been running great ever since and my family loves the convenience of Emby.

The Emby team is working on a great product. I think it is great and paid for that product knowing that it has some issues. But some basic follow up being asked by Jaslo to a deadline set by Emby is not unreasonable. If it isn’t done fine. When will it be? Never? Ok. Any response is better than a dismissive no response.

• Like 4

MRobi

This is how the offical instructions would look lik:

5cf0e609b9295_emby.jpg

As I'm reading through these posts, this is exactly what I kept thinking. The official instructions are already posted and on the website. This gives all the steps you need to both install from scratch, and also to upgrade. The only thing that changes is the address for the download package as newer versions are released.

For those who are not comfortable using shell commands, it's best they just install the plugin which runs the possibility of being a version or 2 behind the beta. For those who want the latest and greatest, it's very easy to learn to use the shell -OR- follow the script @@makarai has created. It may look intimidating, especially if somebody is coming over from the windows environment, but it's really not that complicated. Especially when step by step instructions are given and you can pretty much just copy/paste

• Like 1

makarai

I get that their are community resources but what I find concerning is that there have been issues with FreeNas installs and support. We have threads were Emby staff is asking for data to address issues and even stating that if users upgrade to X version that it will fix Y problem. Users do that and then it doesn’t work. Then we are told there will be updates install instructions in a matter of days. Now it has been weeks and continues inquiry is met with silence.

I think there is nothing wrong with a paying user to ask for an official piece of guidance since it was offered by the company. So far I see no response from Emby. The response to a paying customer in this case is wrong and the “we get it” move on line is dismissive of the issue and of how careful the user has been in trying to jot point the finger.

I too have paid for Emby and have had issues and ultimately user directions on this forum cost me a lot of my time in troubleshooting which led me to reinstall Emby server and lose even more time. Again the input is welcome but I think my experience gets to Jaslo’s point about time. My current instance of Emby has been running great ever since and my family loves the convenience of Emby.

The Emby team is working on a great product. I think it is great and paid for that product knowing that it has some issues. But some basic follow up being asked by Jaslo to a deadline set by Emby is not unreasonable. If it isn’t done fine. When will it be? Never? Ok. Any response is better than a dismissive no response.

I try to answer any question i am able to answer on the BSD side of it, in fact i think there is not a single thread in this forum where i have not participated in. I also looked at your posts, to me it was not obvious what type of issue you had, i dont see a logfile uploaded or anything. So have you figured out why your server is crashing?

Also please install from scratch 4.2.0.10 and upload a log in case it crashes.

Edited by makarai

Accurus

As I said my server was crashing after updating and after deleting the old version and installing the new version things have been fine.

I am not sure what my experience has to do with anything in the sense of Emby responding to posts around their own deadline for posting instructions. I think folks are focused on the trees and not the forest. We can spend all day talking about individual installs and not once talk about the point being made which is wondering what the status is on an official install and why is there no follow up on this.

• Like 1

We'll have the website updated soon. It will basically echo the process that @@makarai is suggesting above. Thanks guys.

• Like 2

Jaslo

+20 from the users I try to help and support

I think its safe to say "Multiple users have my frustrations and understand where I am coming from". Lets let the Emby team try and deliver their official support from their side and move on / forward with great Official support and understanding for paid users.

• Like 2

Jaslo

So I am attempting to update my Jail and its stating from PKG that there is no packages available by the name of iconv. I have run a pkg update --force and everything is updated from what I can tell. Is anyone else having this error as to upgrade one of the packages, its uninstalled my emby installation due to a conflict. wondering if anyone reading has seen this before?

makarai

So I am attempting to update my Jail and its stating from PKG that there is no packages available by the name of iconv. I have run a pkg update --force and everything is updated from what I can tell. Is anyone else having this error as to upgrade one of the packages, its uninstalled my emby installation due to a conflict. wondering if anyone reading has seen this before?

the package should exist https://www.freshports.org/converters/iconv/ I suppose your jail has a proper dns and networking set up ? 

When you are in the jail for emby, just give this a try  

pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg install converters/iconv

Also @@Jaslo, before you update your jail that is crashing all the time, why dont you just create a new jail and start from scratch. you can copy your config over later anyway (most likely).

Edited by makarai
  • Like 2

Jaslo

@@makarai,

I never said my jail was crashing all the time, i wanted to prevent it from crashing all the time due to the update (in the past before 4.2.x.x version). Mt issues with 4.0.2.0 was the buggy goggle chromecast features, among other instabilities and the wanting of the newer features introduced like google home integration and i was stuck living in the past. So feeling confident from the post as my wife took the kids to her parents for the weekend, I sat down and used the information you posted and referencing the emby page for BSD i started the upgrade process on my jail. I had 1 crash during the plugin upgrades at the very beginning however after they were upgraded it seems to be running smooth so far even though im missing the iconv.

Yes DNS is working properly because if it didnt most of the plugin scrapers wouldnt work same with resolving trailers and such. Also using the pkg add command with the GIT address of the emby repo wouldnt have been able to resolve if dns didnt work.

The only issue I ran info was the iconv pkg not existing. So i just ran again pkg update, upgrade and now the package you listed as "converters/iconv" (also tried converters, iconv) and pkg is telling me this doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Jaslo

@@makarai

for iconv, is it the same as converters/libiconv and libiconv?  as i have Converters/libiconv.

@@Luke,

You should make sure to include that / revise your BSD instructions for freenas users that the package is referenced in the repo as converters/libiconv and not iconv. trying to prevent a headaches for freenas users in the future. The only reason why i had this already installed was because i upgraded my jail that was a pure plugin install from the freenas plugin page of 4.0.2.0 otherwise i may have ran into crashes or what have you.

Edited by Jaslo

sluggo45

@@makarai

for iconv, is it the same as converters/libiconv and libiconv?  as i have Converters/libiconv.

@@Luke,

You should make sure to include that / revise your BSD instructions for freenas users that the package is referenced in the repo as converters/libiconv and not iconv. trying to prevent a headaches for freenas users in the future. The only reason why i had this already installed was because i upgraded my jail that was a pure plugin install from the freenas plugin page of 4.0.2.0 otherwise i may have ran into crashes or what have you.

root@emby-server:~ # pkg info iconv

iconv-2.0_4

Name           : iconv

Version        : 2.0_4

Installed on   : Sun Mar 10 21:18:55 2019 CDT

Origin         : converters/iconv

Architecture   : FreeBSD:11:amd64

Prefix         : /usr/local

Categories     : converters

That's from my Emby jail, right now. Honestly baffled what you are going on about. Iconv is the package and in a correctly setup FreeNAS 11.2 jail you should be able to install it. Something is out of whack with your install which is why we keep telling you to try a new jail.

You do know that one of the great things about jails (and containers in general) is you can easily set another one up, point it at the same media library, and test stuff without messing with or causing problems with your first jail....right? And you have the option of snapshots (you did configure snapshots for your jails?) to rollback, and so on.

It should be real easy, and not time consuming, to troubleshoot whatever problem(s) you are having installing newer versions of Emby without having to mess with the older one.

Jaslo

root@emby-server:~ # pkg info iconv

iconv-2.0_4

Name           : iconv

Version        : 2.0_4

Installed on   : Sun Mar 10 21:18:55 2019 CDT

Origin         : converters/iconv

Architecture   : FreeBSD:11:amd64

Prefix         : /usr/local

Categories     : converters

That's from my Emby jail, right now. Honestly baffled what you are going on about. Iconv is the package and in a correctly setup FreeNAS 11.2 jail you should be able to install it. Something is out of whack with your install which is why we keep telling you to try a new jail.

You do know that one of the great things about jails (and containers in general) is you can easily set another one up, point it at the same media library, and test stuff without messing with or causing problems with your first jail....right? And you have the option of snapshots (you did configure snapshots for your jails?) to rollback, and so on.

It should be real easy, and not time consuming, to troubleshoot whatever problem(s) you are having installing newer versions of Emby without having to mess with the older one.

So my Original jail is running fine with the upgrade so far. I setup google home intergration and its working fine on my Sony android TV. Streaming to my chromecast so far is working great. I am having 0 issues while missing Iconv.

So i took your advice and created a new Jail from the install script from freenas for version 4.0.2.0_1 and it has successfully installed.

I have now done pkg info iconv 

no packages matching iconv.

I pinged google.ca and got responses so i know DNS is working

I performed pkg update, pkg upgrade and all is upto date.

i tried pkg info iconv - doesnt exist. i tried pkg install iconv - doesnt exist.

i try pkg info libiconv - libiconv installed @ version 1.14_11 origin is converters/libiconv.

and a further step to prove that I am 100% stock, i just downloaded the latest version of freenas, when over to my personal pc and disconnected the HDD's, put in a 500GB and installed to a flashdrive. updated freenas, installed the emby plugin and its converts/libiconv. iconv is not present on this fresh and squeaky clean freenas bsd 11.

so i did what you asked and ended in the same result.i even just tried it 3 times, just to make sure. I also made a custom jail on my latest version of freenas available (not a nightly or beta) and it even says the exact same thing.

to be 100% clear. My previous version of my jail on 4.0.2.0_1 was running fine with the glitches that all users are presented in that version. i didnt have mono crashes, i just wanted the latest features that i have been waiting for 3 months now.... and i tried to upgrade to versions 4.1.x.x and caused the mono issues and rolled it back via (snapshots as i got the under mining tone from you). Im not new to this and i wont engage in a pissing contest over this. I was here for support and to express my frustrations on being a paid customer / supporter and not getting DEV support and not undermine someones ability. I was not rude and i believe in being fair and positive. I give thanks where deserved and appreciate all the help from community members and the DEV's.

So now the question is, is your jail broken and something funky going on with it? as i'm running pure stock here and i'm getting different results and mine is working fine just the difference being (Yours) Converters/iconv and (Mine) Converters/Libiconv.

Edited by Jaslo
  • Like 2