Update to Version 4.1.0.26

Kent

when i try to upgrade using pkg add --force https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.1.0.26/emby-server-freebsd11_4.1.0.26_amd64.txz i get the following error:

pkg: missing dependency 'samba48'

when i try to install samba48 I get:

installed packages to be removed:
samba47-4.7.12
emby-server-4.0.2.0_1

if i do this, will it completely remove my emby install and db and then i would need to restore from backup?

I believe that should leave the data directory behind but i can ask our package developer. 

sluggo45

So I updated from 4.0.0.2 to 4.1.0.26 and then to 4.2.0.1 and in all instances while running the Emby GUI in Chrome the server crashes and restarts. It also don't update all of the icons for episodes, movies, etc. It does however work just fine in the server dashboard. Any thoughts on this? I am running this in a FreeNAS jail and running the FreeBSD 11 version.

Thanks!

Post per the report a problem guidelines otherwise it's impossible to help. I'm running Chrome 73.0.3683.103 with 4.2.0.1 and have no issues with playback, etc. and no crashing, so it isn't a widespread problem.

Thanks for all the info. I am going to wait. There is some confusion going on and I am going to wait until it gets sorted. The way FreeBSD is handled here is a bit disorganized and non standard so I am going to er on the side of caution this time and probably wait until they get things in sync with the ports tree.

I still don't get what it is you are confused about, at all, but agree at this point probably better for you to wait.

when i try to upgrade using pkg add --force https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.1.0.26/emby-server-freebsd11_4.1.0.26_amd64.txz i get the following error:

when i try to install samba48 I get:

installed packages to be removed:
samba47-4.7.12
emby-server-4.0.2.0_1

if i do this, will it completely remove my emby install and db and then i would need to restore from backup?

It will not remove the data directory.

I recommend doing a pkg upgrade to update all the packages in your jail, not just Samba. That's what I did and I haven't been having any problems. In fact so far 4.2.0.1 is one of the more stable and trouble free betas I have used, overall.

adrianwi

I've rolled back to 4.0.2.0 as I was having some issues with 4.1.0.26 on FreeNAS 11.2, specifically around Live TV but also with general playback and performance.

I'll look out for the updated port.

Baenwort

I also updated from 4.0.2.0_1 and did the pkg update -f and everything suggested by sluggo45 but I'm also having the problem of mono crashing the jail when chrome or anything else tries to access the home page of emby. The dashboard is safe after every boot but any access that tries to serve the web of the library seems to cause the crash on 4.1.0.26 on FreeNAS 11.2U3. The jails are running 11.2-p9.

I've tried upgrading twice and documented it as well as I can over at: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68032-update-to-4002-on-freenas/page-3#entry735390 

I'd like to figure this out as so far both upgrade starts from a 4.0.2.0 server have failed.

Edited by Baenwort

sluggo45

I also updated from 4.0.2.0_1 and did the pkg update -f and everything suggested by sluggo45 but I'm also having the problem of mono crashing the jail when chrome or anything else tries to access the home page of emby. The dashboard is safe after every boot but any access that tries to serve the web of the library seems to cause the crash on 4.1.0.26 on FreeNAS 11.2U3. The jails are running 11.2-p9.

I've tried upgrading twice and documented it as well as I can over at: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68032-update-to-4002-on-freenas/page-3#entry735390 

I'd like to figure this out as so far both upgrade starts from a 4.0.2.0 server have failed.

Try a new jail with a fresh install.  Scan in a library and test, make sure everything works (i.e. doesn't crash in Chrome, etc.). If it does, it's a simple matter to copy your existing Emby Jail's root directory over to the new jail, which will keep all your settings, metadata, etc.

Baenwort

Everything but commercial cutting. (and some of the collection/image customization I think?)

I'll give that a try tomorrow while everyone is out playing in the snow.

Edited by Baenwort

Accurus

@@Baenwort I had the same issues and just gave up and did a fresh install and used the backup plugin. There is something going on with upgrading from 4.0.2.0.1.

Baenwort

If it is people going from 4.0.2.0_1 then we should figure it out before to many people hit the problem.  Most people aren't tolerant or of good cheer when they have to migrate to update (especially when good will has already been bruised by other actions recently). 

RichieCoy

Post per the report a problem guidelines otherwise it's impossible to help. I'm running Chrome 73.0.3683.103 with 4.2.0.1 and have no issues with playback, etc. and no crashing, so it isn't a widespread problem.

I still don't get what it is you are confused about, at all, but agree at this point probably better for you to wait.

It will not remove the data directory.

I recommend doing a pkg upgrade to update all the packages in your jail, not just Samba. That's what I did and I haven't been having any problems. In fact so far 4.2.0.1 is one of the more stable and trouble free betas I have used, overall.

I did this and it allowed me to upgrade to 4.1.0.26, however, i end up with the same issue described...backend server works ok, but as soon as someone hits their homepage, server crashes.  I tried both 4.1.0.26 and 4.2.0.1 - same issue with both.

i was then able to re-install 4.0.2.0_1

• Like 1

sluggo45

The folks reporting problems, particularly the crash when home page is accessed one, really need to read how to report a problem and at the very least post the server logs, ideally with debug enabled, that cover when the problem occurs (from the sound of it this one is easy to reproduce).

Otherwise I don't know how the Emby dev team could possibly even begin to troubleshoot the issue. There's literally nothing to go off of based on these descriptions and it's not happening to everyone.

Accurus

@@sluggo45 After reading your post that this was not a widespread problem I just figured I had a bad install and reinstalled Emby in a new jail so there are no logs to submit. I was not going to have my Emby service out for however long a patch was going to take.

RichieCoy

• Server is running in Freenas jail.  I manually installed it, instead of using the plug-in, as I like to be up to date sooner than the plug-in allows.  Jail is 11.2-p9. This is my production server, so I have users using it most of the day, so having it out of commission is a pain, i only have small windows for updates.  The server is running 4.0.2.0_1 and pkg upgrade is up to date.  I did the following commands:

service emby-server stop

pkg add --force https://github.com/M....0.26_amd64.txz i get the following error:

so, i did 

pkg install samba48 and allowed it unisntall:

samba47-4.7.12

emby-server-4.0.2.0_1

I then redid pkg add --force https://github.com/M....0.26_amd64.txz and it upgrades the server with no errors.

service emby-server start

says its starting, when i check the server via chrome browser, as soon as it starts to load the home screen, server crashes.

I tried to upgrade to the latest beta 4.2.0.1 and I had the exact same issue. So, i downgrade back to 4.0.2.0_1 and the server comes right back up and functioning.

Attached is my server log from the 4.2.0.1 upgrade and service start.

embyserver-63691968401.txt

Edited by RichieCoy

hjason7812

The folks reporting problems, particularly the crash when home page is accessed one, really need to read how to report a problem and at the very least post the server logs, ideally with debug enabled, that cover when the problem occurs (from the sound of it this one is easy to reproduce).

Otherwise I don't know how the Emby dev team could possibly even begin to troubleshoot the issue. There's literally nothing to go off of based on these descriptions and it's not happening to everyone.

It's obvious everybody isn't having this problem because everybody else didn't update to the link you put out there. Because it's obviously not the emby for freenas, if it is we're not seeing a release anytime soon.

sluggo45

I then redid pkg add --force https://github.com/M....0.26_amd64.txz and it upgrades the server with no errors.
service emby-server start
says its starting, when i check the server via chrome browser, as soon as it starts to load the home screen, server crashes.

I tried to upgrade to the latest beta 4.2.0.1 and I had the exact same issue. So, i downgrade back to 4.0.2.0_1 and the server comes right back up and functioning.

Attached is my server log from the 4.2.0.1 upgrade and service start.

Interesting - do you have real time monitoring enabled for your libraries? It looks like you do - can you disable that and see if the crash still occurs? From your logs Mono is crashing from an upstream problem in the Library monitor service, or at least that is what is kicking off the problem.

I don't use real time monitoring myself...and also haven't had any problems. When I get home I will try enabling it and seeing if I crash. Then we can file a bug report.

It's obvious everybody isn't having this problem because everybody else didn't update to the link you put out there. Because it's obviously not the emby for freenas, if it is we're not seeing a release anytime soon.

My friend, I am still at a complete loss where you are coming from. There has never been an "Emby for FreeNAS" posted to releases. The only release that qualifies for that is the actual plugin, and even that is just a plugin template file wrapped around a pre-built FreeBSD jail. It's also out of date, in part due to how difficult it is to update FreeNAS plugins. Even the version available through ports is technically for FreeBSD i.e. not specific for FreeNAS.

The point though, is that the package releases for FreeBSD have always worked for FreeNAS - until the recent change where they move to FreeBSD 12. That is why there is now a FreeBSD 11 package. This does work with FreeNAS, I am running it now, and if there are problems with it (like the one above) well, that's what bug reports and betas are for.

hjason7812

Interesting - do you have real time monitoring enabled for your libraries? It looks like you do - can you disable that and see if the crash still occurs? From your logs Mono is crashing from an upstream problem in the Library monitor service, or at least that is what is kicking off the problem.

I don't use real time monitoring myself...and also haven't had any problems. When I get home I will try enabling it and seeing if I crash. Then we can file a bug report.

My friend, I am still at a complete loss where you are coming from. There has never been an "Emby for FreeNAS" posted to releases. The only release that qualifies for that is the actual plugin, and even that is just a plugin template file wrapped around a pre-built FreeBSD jail. It's also out of date, in part due to how difficult it is to update FreeNAS plugins. Even the version available through ports is technically for FreeBSD i.e. not specific for FreeNAS.

The point though, is that the package releases for FreeBSD have always worked for FreeNAS - until the recent change where they move to FreeBSD 12. That is why there is now a FreeBSD 11 package. This does work with FreeNAS, I am running it now, and if there are problems with it (like the one above) well, that's what bug reports and betas are for.

I know that but they stopped putting it on the plugin list for some odd reason. guess they wanted to make it harder to install for everyone or they got lazy. Freenas has to use the freebsd install now, but like luke has said they need to fix it for freenas and it will be announced when they fix it, they're also updating the freenas install page soon as well according to luke. 

So there you go.. Hope you're not confused anymore????

RichieCoy

I turned off folder monitoring and tried again, still crashes server.  I did a bit more research, seems i can connect to the server with my roku, androidtv devices and my html5 (using chrome) and it works perfect.  Once i click home on my chrome web browser from the dashboard and it starts to load the page, bam - server crashes.  I can restart server and all is good until i try from chrome again...strange.  I'm going to try other web browsers and see if it still happens.

attached is my server log after i turned off folder monitoring and upgraded to 4.2.0.26

server_Log.txt

RichieCoy

ok, verified that both internal and external web connections crash server and it happens with chrome, firefox and IE.

sluggo45

ok, verified that both internal and external web connections crash server and it happens with chrome, firefox and IE.

This is an odd one. I'm trying to figure out why you and others have this issue and I don't.

I don't have Live TV enabled but I do have a HDHR; I'll try setting it up and seeing if I can get it to crash. Just running through the obvious differences to try and narrow things down.

is there any version information i can post that will help you?  ie pkg info?

Please try removing the plugins that you've installed, then restarting the server and see if that helps. thanks.

Baenwort

No custom CSS, No real time monitoring. Putty output of the upgrade from 4.0.2.0_1 to 4.1.0.26.

embyserver-before-nodebug(contains actual usage) is from a normal day of usage.

embyserver-before-withdebugafterReboot is after checking debug and rebooting the jail.

Embyserver-after1 is first start after upgrade.

Embyserver-after2 is from before crash due to loading home library page in webapp. (perhaps includes crash?)

Apr 29 22:13:13 thing.adams.fun kernel: pid 13691 (mono-sgen), uid 989: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

Embyserver-after3 is from after mono crash (reboot jail to recover).

Debugging turned on for all of the above that are noted or after upgrade to 4.1.0.26.

putty.log

embyserver-before-withdebugafterReboot.txt

embyserver-before-nodebug(contains actual usage).txt

embyserver-after1.txt

embyserver-after2.txt

embyserver-after3.txt

Edited by Baenwort