Update to Version 4.1.0.26

Kent

Freenas is on hold. We will be submitting the new release to freebsd ports any day now.

• Like 1

Barlog9511

I have trouble with the update to new version 4.1.0.26 

After update emby server just crashed after ~5 min or when I open details of movie, so I must go back to version 4.0.2.0

server_log.txt

sluggo45

4.1.0.26 is still based on FreeBSD 12. You can get it to install on FreeNAS/FreeBSD 11 but it won't work (ffmpeg, etc. will crash).

You need to wait until they start releasing the builds for FreeNAS, which Luke recently indicated are coming very soon.

Luke, will these be separate builds i.e. instead of one freebsd build we'll see a freebsd and freenas option on the beta release page?

hjason7812

4.1.0.26 is still based on FreeBSD 12. You can get it to install on FreeNAS/FreeBSD 11 but it won't work (ffmpeg, etc. will crash).

You need to wait until they start releasing the builds for FreeNAS, which Luke recently indicated are coming very soon.

Luke, will these be separate builds i.e. instead of one freebsd build we'll see a freebsd and freenas option on the beta release page?

So i should wait until freenas version is done? How would i know because they never put any info out for freenas?

hjason7812

Freenas is on hold. We will be submitting the new release to freebsd ports any day now.

Luke i have the alert on my dashboard that there is an update.. But i have it installed on freenas, do i wait or is it ok to install the update?

Thanks

sluggo45

The current 4.1.0.26 is built on FreeBSD 12 and won't work for FreeNAS. You need to wait until they update for FreeNAS. I don't know what form that will take and they haven't said but I assume it'll be a build for FreeNAS specifically since they plan to continue the FreeBSD builds on 12. I'm sure they'll announce it in this forum when it's ready.

• Like 1

rawdrewage

Why am I required to upgrade my server (and rebuild all packages) for this new emby release?

Is there something that 11.2 did not offer that forced you to go to 12.0. Pretty sure you could just compile for both versions.

What am  getting for this hassle? Some amazing new features?.I see nothing in your blog about this release.

Please follow the topic that I linked to above and your questions will be answered. Thanks.

rawdrewage

I am probably blind but I don't see where my questions were answered. I am not using FreeNAS and not having trouble upgrading except that pkg complains that I have the wrong version of FreeBSD installed. What am I missing? 

sluggo45

You're missing that they started building new FreeBSD packages based off FreeBSD 12, since that is the current GA of FreeBSD. This however leaves out FreeNAS users, since FreeNAS is still based off FreeBSD 11 and isn't slated to move to 12 until the end of the year. If you update using the FreeBSD 12 package and ignore the version warning you will have problems, not the least of which is nothing will transcode since ffmpeg is built on a FreeBSD 12 system and won't work for 11.

To accommodate FreeNAS users they have now started building packages for FreeBSD 11 again. You can find both the latest beta and the latest stable with "FreeBSD11" in the package name: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.1.0.26

That's the one you want to use for FreeNAS, or, of course, FreeBSD 11 if you are still on that version. It's pretty simple and not sure what else there is to understand about it :)

Edited by sluggo45
  • Like 1

rawdrewage

To be fair GA is 11.2 and 12.0. Most of us don't put a x.0 version into production. The decision to go to 12.0 and drop support for 11.2 all at once without notice is odd to say the least. 

If you look at freebsd.org 11.3 is the next coming release of freebsd. To me the 11.x branch is more mature at this point. Why introduce so many potential unknowns into your software that you charge people money for? Odd odd odd.

So I guess I am stuck with these current bugs until freebsd is at 12.1 and emby at least 4.1.0.27

• Like 1

sluggo45

I'm not trying to be rude but I am struggling with how you are missing this: A) The Emby team very quickly became aware that switching builds to FreeBSD 12 exclusively was a problem (they can't keep up with everything all the time, look how many different platforms they build for) and b ) Said they would correct it. Which they have.

There are now, as of 3 days ago, FreeBSD 11 builds - which work perfectly well with FreeNAS - for 4.1.0.26 as well as the beta, 4.2.0.1 available. Like, right now. You don't have to wait for anything. I have 4.2.0.1 running in my FreeNAS jail without issue today. I posted instructions earlier in the thread Luke linked to above if you want manual update instructions (they are pretty simple).

Why they went with 12.x is a dead argument; they've self-corrected. The solution is literally right in front of you :)

Edited by sluggo45

rawdrewage

BTW it is NOT corrected I just had the problem. PKG is complaining that the version I am trying to install via emby instructions is not compatible with my os because it was built against 12.0. 

rawdrewage
Here is the error message.

Installing emby-server-4.1.0.26_1...

pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:12:amd64 instead of FreeBSD:11:amd64

Newer FreeBSD version for package emby-server

rawdrewage

That error is because the paclage emby built for freebsd was built for freebsd 12 not freebsd 11.

I am NOT using FreeNAS. I am having a problem with FreeBSD.

Anyone from emby maybe want to comment or explain where I am missing something?

Edited by rawdrewage

sluggo45

Do you not see the link for this package? https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.1.0.26/emby-server-freebsd11_4.1.0.26_amd64.txz

That's for FreeBSD 11. It works with FreeNAS too because that is based on 11 but it's not *only* for FreeNAS. In short if you are using FreeBSD 11 you should be using that package, the one with "freebsd11" in the name :)

If that is the one you are using and you *still* are getting a mismatch error then there's another problem, but I don't think we're at a point where anyone could troubleshoot it yet if so.

Accurus

So I updated from 4.0.0.2 to 4.1.0.26 and then to 4.2.0.1 and in all instances while running the Emby GUI in Chrome the server crashes and restarts. It also don't update all of the icons for episodes, movies, etc. It does however work just fine in the server dashboard. Any thoughts on this? I am running this in a FreeNAS jail and running the FreeBSD 11 version.

Thanks!

• Like 1

rawdrewage

Thanks for all the info. I am going to wait. There is some confusion going on and I am going to wait until it gets sorted. The way FreeBSD is handled here is a bit disorganized and non standard so I am going to er on the side of caution this time and probably wait until they get things in sync with the ports tree.

RichieCoy

when i try to upgrade using pkg add --force https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.1.0.26/emby-server-freebsd11_4.1.0.26_amd64.txz i get the following error:

pkg: missing dependency 'samba48'

when i try to install samba48 I get:

installed packages to be removed:
samba47-4.7.12
emby-server-4.0.2.0_1

if i do this, will it completely remove my emby install and db and then i would need to restore from backup?
Edited by RichieCoy