Roku Thumbnails gone

MisterAngelus

Happy2Play

The fact is that none of my previous bif files are being used/shown at all.

I deleted that file and there is no difference in behavior.

I do not enjoy fighting problems like this so, starting with my backup server, I am rebuilding everything. There first thing is to completely remove all traces of the Emby server. I have a question about that: If I use the control panel and tell it to delete all traces is there anything left behind that would nee to be deleted manually? I do not think there is but I have been surprised before by something that an automated system overlooked.

Thanks.

Remove all traces will do exactly that, unless you have custom paths set for cache, metadata, or transcode-temp.  Items in those custom paths will not be emptied/deleted.

Gilgamesh_48

Remove all traces will do exactly that, unless you have custom paths set for cache, metadata, or transcode-temp.  Items in those custom paths will not be emptied/deleted.

Then I guess I am proceeding correctly. Does that also take care of any registry entry that could get in the way of a new instillation?

BTW: It sure takes a long time to delete all those little files.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Happy2Play

Only registry key that I am aware of is uninstall information provide to Windows to show up in "Apps and Features".  But should not affect a new install in anyway.

Gilgamesh_48

Only registry key that I am aware of is uninstall information provide to Windows to show up in "Apps and Features".  But should not affect a new install in anyway.

Thanks once again.

I guess all my questions are answered.

The first library I created is a pretty small one so I guess by tomorrow  AM I should be able to see if a new install will correctly work for me.

and I absolutely do NOT want anything stored in my media folders. Those folders are only for my media.

I highly recommend you change that stance when it comes to these images (bif files).  IMO there is no good reason to not store them with the media and re-building them can be a painful process (which can be avoided by keeping them with your media).

MisterAngelus

I store them with my media let them generate then mark them as hidden so I don't see them and unhide them if needed

Gilgamesh_48

I highly recommend you change that stance when it comes to these images (bif files).  IMO there is no good reason to not store them with the media and re-building them can be a painful process (which can be avoided by keeping them with your media).

I store them with my media let them generate then mark them as hidden so I don't see them and unhide them if needed

@@ebr, OK, I've taken your advice and now have set bifs to be stored with my media and it seems to be working  fine and the bifs are generating faster than I expected.

I do not like having extra files alongside my media as it clutters up my view and just seems generally messy. However I can live with it it just tweaks my OCD the wrong way. I considered the idea @@MisterAngelus presented but it pushes my buttons more to not see files I have so I will live with the clutter. On the up side it does give a good idea of how the process is going by just watching for bifs to show up.

I have remembered/learned that doing it that way means that only one of my servers needs to be tasked with creating thumbnails in libraries that cross servers, which is most of my libraries and that is a good thing.

BTW: I only see and can use the thumbnails on my Roku and not on my Fire 4K Stick or on my Shield. I do see chapters on those when I press the up or down arrow and, when needed, select the correct icon but I can not see any of the 10 sec thumbs that are visible on my Roku. I use the beta app on my Fire but the regular app on my Shield. I just mention that here for completeness but I will follow up, if needed, in the proper forum(s).

Again, everyone, Thanks for the help and the patience with this old guy's idiosyncrasies.

"As we age our memory is the first thing to go. I forget what the second is." ;)

Sammy

@@ebr, OK, I've taken your advice and now have set bifs to be stored with my media and it seems to be working fine and the bifs are generating faster than I expected.

I do not like having extra files alongside my media as it clutters up my view and just seems generally messy. However I can live with it it just tweaks my OCD the wrong way. I considered the idea @@MisterAngelus presented but it pushes my buttons more to not see files I have so I will live with the clutter. On the up side it does give a good idea of how the process is going by just watching for bifs to show up.

I have remembered/learned that doing it that way means that only one of my servers needs to be tasked with creating thumbnails in libraries that cross servers, which is most of my libraries and that is a good thing.

BTW: I only see and can use the thumbnails on my Roku and not on my Fire 4K Stick or on my Shield. I do see chapters on those when I press the up or down arrow and, when needed, select the correct icon but I can not see any of the 10 sec thumbs that are visible on my Roku. I use the beta app on my Fire but the regular app on my Shield. I just mention that here for completeness but I will follow up, if needed, in the proper forum(s).

Again, everyone, Thanks for the help and the patience with this old guy's idiosyncrasies.

"As we age our memory is the first thing to go. I forget what the second is." ;)

The whole purpose of Emby is to not look at your file system but to look at a nice interface with quick access to your media.

You probably need to get the beta FireTV and AndroidTV apps to use this on those devices currently.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Gilgamesh_48

The whole purpose of Emby is to not look at your file system but to look at a nice interface with quick access to your media.

You probably need to get the beta FireTV and AndroidTV apps to use this on those devices currently.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

While that is the true purpose of Emby there are things that are not shown through the Emby interface and that I like to see. Also you cannot, if needed, move files around inside Emby and you cannot effectively manage a file system. Those things that Emby does not do are not needed often but they are needed and that is why I do not like clutter in my media folders. It makes maintenance somewhat more tedious.

I already have the Fire beta app and I still have no thumbnails that are usable in that app. In fact, when I press left or right on the remote nothing happens.

Thanks.

I already have the Fire beta app and I still have no thumbnails that are usable in that app. In fact, when I press left or right on the remote nothing happens.

What version does the app show in the settings page?

1.6.94a

Okay, that is the current released version, not the beta.  On Fire TV, the beta is a totally separate app that must be installed.

Gilgamesh_48

Okay, that is the current released version, not the beta.  On Fire TV, the beta is a totally separate app that must be installed.

I know that. I have two versions showing. One shows the regular icon and the other has an orange "Test" triangle in the upper left cornet. I thought that was the beta.

At one point, due to a bug in the beta, I thought I wanted to only use the regular app so I uninstalled Emby and reinstalled it, but there was another step I was told I needed to take to not have the app automatically update to the beta. I never took that step so I thought, when the triangle appeared a day or so later, that I was back on the beta. I guess I misunderstood the auto-upgrade mechanism. I will investigate further.

Thanks.

The problem is probably just the order in which you are doing things combined with how Android works.

While the apps are two separate apps in the store, once they are on your device, they have the same signature and will appear to be the same app.  So, if you bring up the normal app and then go back to the Fire home and then start EITHER ONE of the versions of the app, the Android system will think the app is already running and just re-activate the one you had going before.

So, to switch back and forth between versions, you need to actually force-close the previous one.

Make sense...?

Gilgamesh_48

Make sense...?

No, but it is Android.

But thanks for the info.