Roku Thumbnails gone

MisterAngelus

The .bif thumbnails are not displayed in the library. They are used when seeking during playback.

CBers

That does not seem to be the case. I do not see any thumbnails at all in any of the libraries that had them before.

Where are the BIF files that the Roku plugin created stored?

Is it possible you had the wrong impression of what the Roku thumbnail plugin was actually doing?

Gilgamesh_48

Where are the BIF files that the Roku plugin created stored?

I have no idea. I just allowed them to be created at whatever location was the Roku Thumbnail plugin default.

Gilgamesh_48

Is it possible you had the wrong impression of what the Roku thumbnail plugin was actually doing?

Whe watching a movi I pressed the right or left arrow and the thumbnails appeared and I could use left and right to find the one that marked where I wanted to be. Was that wrong?

CBers

I have no idea. I just allowed them to be created at whatever location was the Roku Thumbnail plugin default.

Did the plugin not provide a location for where the files should be crated?

Perhaps they're in the /Emby-Server/metadata folder?

Gilgamesh_48

No you're not wrong. That is correct.

Then why do none of my libraries that had them before have any thumbnails now. I set the interval to 10 seconds but I see nothing except the green bar when I press left or right.

Gilgamesh_48

Did the plugin not provide a location for where the files should be crated?

Perhaps they're in the /Emby-Server/metadata folder?

I do find bif files in a directory called:

X:\Users\jt\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library

I see many many of them but they are not named in any way I can recognize and I do not know what to do with them.

If the "new" way of handling thumbnails does not find them where it expects will it just regenerate them in a location it can use? I never ever want anything stored alongside my media or at least not in the same folders that my media is in.

EDIT: At this point I just want it to work the way it always has. O do not care about chapters or even if it works on my Android devices. I just want the functionality that has been disabled.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

MisterAngelus

Well personally

I have been playing with the the new thumbnail settings and I have nothing but compliments I have my thumbnail intervals set to 5 seconds I believe that's the correct setting if you don't care about hard drive space

and it seems faster then the old Roku thumbnail plugin 

is there a way to make Emby show advanced settings by default

• Like 1

Yes it will regenerate but it should pick up the old ones as well. I'll do another round of upgrade testing from 4.0 to 4.1. Thanks.

Well personally

I have been playing with the the new thumbnail settings and I have nothing but compliments I have my thumbnail intervals set to 5 seconds I believe that's the correct setting if you don't care about hard drive space

and it seems faster then the old Roku thumbnail plugin 

is there a way to make Emby show advanced settings by default

For reference, the plugin was using 10 seconds before. 5 seeks gives you more images to play with, if you're OK with the extraction taking a bit of time.

CBers

I just want the functionality that has been disabled.

Just out of curiosity, but why?

I do find bif files in a directory called:

X:\Users\jt\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library

I see many many of them but they are not named in any way I can recognize and I do not know what to do with them.

If the "new" way of handling thumbnails does not find them where it expects will it just regenerate them in a location it can use? I never ever want anything stored alongside my media or at least not in the same folders that my media is in.

EDIT: At this point I just want it to work the way it always has. O do not care about chapters or even if it works on my Android devices. I just want the functionality that has been disabled.

Set your thumbnail interval to 10 seconds, then just allow the thumbnail scheduled task to run and it will work the same way that it always has.

Gilgamesh_48

Just out of curiosity, but why?

Because it worked correctly. Currently I have no thumbnail functionality at all and I did have full functionality before this "upgrade."

Gilgamesh_48

Set your thumbnail interval to 10 seconds, then just allow the thumbnail scheduled task to run and it will work the same way that it always has.

That I have done and that is all I really want. I have started the task and I am just allowing it to run. I have plenty of drive space and processing power so that is not an issue.

However I do wonder if there is some way to delete the old ones if they are not being used and if there is a way to tell what stage the new task is in.

One more question: If I need to interrupt the task for any reason, say a reboot of the computer, will it pick back up when the computer and Emby restart?

That I have done and that is all I really want. I have started the task and I am just allowing it to run. I have plenty of drive space and processing power so that is not an issue.

However I do wonder if there is some way to delete the old ones if they are not being used and if there is a way to tell what stage the new task is in.

One more question: If I need to interrupt the task for any reason, say a reboot of the computer, will it pick back up when the computer and Emby restart?

I promise this will be the same thing, and now it's built in with no plugin. When you delete an item from your library, the thumbnail sets will be deleted as well.

If you interrupt the task, it will run the next time it is scheduled to run.

Gilgamesh_48

I promise this will be the same thing, and now it's built in with no plugin. When you delete an item from your library, the thumbnail sets will be deleted as well.

If you interrupt the task, it will run the next time it is scheduled to run.

Thanks. I have a further followup involving my two servers.

Server 1 - Not a beta = Running - 4.1.0.26 - On this server I configured the needed libraries and started a create thumbnails task and it is running and progressing nicely.

Server 2 - Beta software - 4.1.0.23 beta - On this server I configured everything just like I did on the other and started the same task but it only runs for about a second and then exits. It reports no errors.

I have forced a library scan on both servers as well as the create thumbnails.

Neither server shows any thumbnails where they existed before. That is movies that had them do not seem to have them now even on the server that seems to think it has all its thumbnails.

As I asked earlier where is the default location and how do I know what video has had thumbnails created?

Also is there anything new that I need to do in the app to make thumbnails work?

Thanks again.

Happy2Play

Thanks. I have a further followup involving my two servers.

Server 1 - Not a beta = Running - 4.1.0.26 - On this server I configured the needed libraries and started a create thumbnails task and it is running and progressing nicely.

Server 2 - Beta software - 4.1.0.23 beta - On this server I configured everything just like I did on the other and started the same task but it only runs for about a second and then exits. It reports no errors.

I have forced a library scan on both servers as well as the create thumbnails.

Neither server shows any thumbnails where they existed before. That is movies that had them do not seem to have them now even on the server that seems to think it has all its thumbnails.

As I asked earlier where is the default location and how do I know what video has had thumbnails created?

Also is there anything new that I need to do in the app to make thumbnails work?

Thanks again.

Earlier versions of the beta have some issues.  You need to be on beta .25.

All I did was run the task.  But I never used the plugin either.  The location is the same \metadata\library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx unless you select to save with media. 

If you see scenes  in the itemdetails then they have been generated.

Edited by Happy2Play

Gilgamesh_48

Earlier versions of the beta have some issues.  You need to be on beta .25.

All I did was run the task.  But I never used the plugin either.  The location is the same \metadata\library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx unless you select to save with media. 

If you see scenes  in the itemdetails then they have been generated.

I feel like an idiot but where do I find "itemdetails" and is that what it is actually called? I have noticed that, sometimes, something is labeled differently than what it is called when it is being discussed.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

I feel like an idiot but where do I find "itemdetails" and is that what it is actually called? I have noticed that, sometimes, something is labeled differently than what it is called when it is being discussed.

Thanks.

The actual item page.

5cb917fa02c36_item.jpg

I there are scene images then you should have a bif file for the item.  Unless the library is set to "Chapter Markers".

Edited by Happy2Play

Gilgamesh_48

I do not see what you do but I think I would like to.

Is it possible that the Roku Thumbnail plugin has somehow screwed things up in the past where it worked for the plugin and then quit with this new unproved system. I as because every one of my movies had working thumbnails and now not one does. This is over two servers and a total of eight libraries.

NOT ONE OF MY LIBRARIES IS WORKING AT ALL.

Am I going to have to recreate everything just to get it working again the way it was?

In my preplay screens I see I see scenes but they are all blank and labeled "Chapter 1" "Chapter 2" and so on. I do NOT have every library set to generate thumbs every 10 seconds. I do NOT want chapters like this and I have never used them.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I just went through all my libraries and I see chapters at five minute gaps, some have images but most do not. Can I just delete all the chapter images and start over and get this working correctly?

I just want thumbnails I do NOT want chapters at all.

Happy2Play

Not sure of your issue but can you go to your cache folder and delete the "thumbnail-failures.txt", restart your server, and try running the task.

Ultimately though your previous existing bif files should still be working.

The interface will always show 5 min interval Chapter images, but will pull them out of the bif file.

Edited by Happy2Play

Gilgamesh_48

Not sure of your issue but can you go to your cache folder and delete the "thumbnail-failures.txt", restart your server, and try running the task.

Ultimately though your previous existing bif files should still be working.

The interface will always show 5 min interval Chapter images, but will pull them out of the bif file.

The fact is that none of my previous bif files are being used/shown at all.

I deleted that file and there is no difference in behavior.

I do not enjoy fighting problems like this so, starting with my backup server, I am rebuilding everything. There first thing is to completely remove all traces of the Emby server. I have a question about that: If I use the control panel and tell it to delete all traces is there anything left behind that would nee to be deleted manually? I do not think there is but I have been surprised before by something that an automated system overlooked.

Thanks.