subtitle problems

DancingMan

DancingMan

I recently added a few TV shows on my emby server and I'm having an issue with the subtitles. The files have English subtitles, but they are mislabeled inside the mp4 files. If I look at the files using ffprobe, the subtitle and audio streams show "und" next to them (my other files show "eng" for the audio & subtitle streams). Emby seems to go on the assumption that the "und" audio streams are English, and uses them automatically. For the subtitles though, since emby does not see English subtitle streams, it follows through with the server's subtitle settings and tries to download subtitles from online. I have two questions:

1) is there a way to set emby to assume "und" language subtitle streams are English just like it does with "und" audio streams?

2) how can I set those subtitle streams in the mp4 files to have the correct label of "eng"?

Thanks

Emby seems to go on the assumption that the "und" audio streams are English

Hi, actually we don't do this.

is there a way to set emby to assume "und" language subtitle streams are English

No, but it's not a bad idea.

how can I set those subtitle streams in the mp4 files to have the correct label of "eng"?

@@daedalus do you know of a good embedded track editor for mp4?

daedalus

No, but it's not a bad idea.

even if it would be correct in the majority of cases, i don't agree, you should not assume something "undefined" to be a specific language

2) how can I set those subtitle streams in the mp4 files to have the correct label of "eng"?

emby relies on the tags set in you media files and it seems that your media is not correctly tagged, search for software like mp4box to edit mp4 language tags

• Like 1

Hi you need to add .eng bfore the file extension "filename.eng.srt"

Yes to be recognized as English, that is correct.

• 8 months later...

So when emby downloads subtitles from opensubtitles.org, it is either skipping episodes for which it has 'und' or is downloading 'und' instead of English.  I have English set both on the emby server and in my opensubtitles.org  account.

Refreshing metadata isn't forcing other subtitles to be downloaded...  So it does seem that emby accepts the und as English and doesn't go out and download them.  Most of the und are subrip instead of SRT.  Is there a way to force emby to:

1) Download all new subtitles?

2) Download only subtitles marked as English?

3) Download only subtitles marked as SRT?

What we're finding with the und subtitles is that quite often they are only the first couple of words.  Pretty much makes them useless.  I have this server setup for my parents.  I got them moved over from Plex b/c plex was becoming too difficult to use with all the crap they were adding.  And I love that emby has opensubtitles.org built in.  So hoping to get this issue resolved so I'm not getting a call every couple of days complaining that the subtitles aren't working ;)

Thanks.

PS: I am a VIP member at opensubtitles.org.

Edited by Waffull

• 2 weeks later...

@@Waffull I don't believe we're doing that. It must be coming out of the open subtitles api as english. Try using the manual subtitle downloader in Emby and see what that displays for search results. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.