emby server crashes while adding some media...

k3kiaze

k3kiaze

Hello, I've been using emby for quite some time and it has been reliable in the past. Now i bought a new hard disk, so have had to do some housekeeping. When I added my media (TV shows) to emby server, the green progress bar completed, but when I clicked on any TV show, emby would hang. Anyway I traced it to around 30% of my TV shows causing the problem. If i exclude these shows then emby works as expected.

I have tried only using TMdb or only using TVdb, the result is the same. And all the metadata is there (checked in metadata manager). Seems like it crashes when trying to display images; I don't know why as I have all the images saved next to the media already. I'm using the latest emby server 4.2.0 on Linux (opensuse) with the latest kernel updates (everything is updated). I tried reading the log files, and cannot see any specific error messages. All my media is named the same and all are in a specific folder, so i would rule out it being a permissions or naming issue.

Anyway to make things easy and simple to troubleshoot:

I've selected a specific show (which was causing trouble); put it in a test folder.

Completely uninstalled emby server and then reinstalled it.

Completed quick setup

Restarted server as prompted (to update Tvdb and Moviedb)
Added folder with tv show to Media Library (no advanced options selected)
Clicked on the home icon (top left corner)
Clicked on TV show name
some images show, others are greyed out - Image attached
click home icon again - emby frozen - circle keeps spinning
if i close the browser and open emby server again - it looks like the server has shut down.

I would greatly appreciate anyone help me fix this, and thank you in advance.

P.S:

embyserver-63691115330.txt was created when the emby was fresh installed and no crash occurred here. (as no media was added at that time)

embyserver.txt was created when adding media and the crash occured.

embyserver-63691115330.txt

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63691115077.txt

hardware_detection-63691115333.txt

post-210809-0-00809800-1555501671_thumb.png

post-210809-0-90248600-1555501696_thumb.png

k3kiaze

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was kept busy during the weekend. Anyway I updated emby-server and unfortunately the problem still exists. But when I click on the troublesome show when it gets listed under 'next up' (from the home screen) - it works (I was able to play all the videos of that season from here) but aces sing the show any other way crashes emby-server.

P.S: I went ahead and tried the beta version of the server as well, but that didn't make a difference.

k3kiaze

Update: I seen Emby having a portable server option under the windows download page, so I decided to try that on my wife's laptop. So I created an SMB share from linux (opensuse TW) and added the troublesome TV shows to the emby library (Windows portable server), and it worked flawlessley! No crashes at all.

So this must mean:

1. Nothing wrong with my media/naming structure.

2. It's either the emby server on linux, or specifically my emby-server that's causing issues.

Hopefully this helps narrow things down?

nl9800

Sorry I couldn't answer prior as I was kept occupied with amid the end of the week. At any rate I refreshed emby-server and lamentably the issue still exists. Yet, when I click on the troublesome show when it gets recorded under 'next up' (from the home screen) - it works (I had the capacity to play every one of the recordings of that season from here) yet pros sing the demonstrate some other way crashes emby-server.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 2 weeks later...

HI there @@k3kiaze, I'm not quite sure yet what the issue is, but I'm going to add change on the beta channel that will hopefully have an impact here. It will be in the next beta update. Please let me know if it helps. Thanks.