Using hard links for movies possible?

Veggav

TheShoe

Yes, that's correct.  Per the original thread author's comments, this worked:

"If I find the correct playlist of a blu-ray with BDInfo and point that .mpls file to emby using strm file structure. 

I don't think it would play, would it?

EDIT: Just tested it myself. 

It works for regular blu-rays and does not work for UHD Blu-Rays."

---

After which he goes into details about what might be the reason this does not work for UHD.

His test would imply that Emby can playback via an mpls file which if I am not mistaken would contain the m2ts file(s) that compose a movie - since there can be multiple, so can't rely on the largest file, and chapter information...

TheShoe

After trying what the original author did, I can't use MPLS to play the stream; m2ts works.

Unfortunately I don't think this will work for seamless branching movies (of which there are many) as I believe the playlist indicates which m2ts files to play and in what order.

Edited by TheShoe

Yea because if you put an mpls into an strm file, we're going to feed that mpls file into ffmpeg and I don't think it knows how to handle it.

TheShoe

ever think of writing an mpls parser that would use it as source of playback?

for those with folder and iso backups this would negate the need to encode/remux to another container. and it would solve the seamless branching problem.

Sure it's possible, but I don't think there's enough demand for it to be prioritized very highly compared to other things.

Sure it's possible, but I don't think there's enough demand for it to be prioritized very highly compared to other things.

There would be demand if this could actually come to life. 

The thing is, every single implementation of discs menus, be on emby, be on kodi, be on vlc, you name whatever open source project, there's a mantra that people keep repeting is that, nobody cares. 

People do care but since devs see it as actually too hard we get half-done implementations. 

There's an entire library for it that is libbluray that gets updated quite often that does the entire work of reading the discs for the software and output all the data it needs, chapters, angles, you name it. 

FFmpeg is what used by kodi and it uses libbluray. 

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/9c099034d93945e7fad5368532b6a77453b9838e/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreamBluray.cpp

Here, this is how you check for playlists. 

If you need specificity here is how you select the longest title for playback:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/9c099034d93945e7fad5368532b6a77453b9838e/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreamBluray.cpp#L97

In the end it's not that people don't care, it's that people give up. 

I have converted half of my collection to mkv format and stirpping the disc format because to serve the files to my devices using emby, which I gladly have a premium account, I just have to give up. 

I have offered the entire code of how to read uhd bluray, as pointed out. I can't imagine how far emby diverged from jellyfin to be unable to use it. 

I can't say much because the bluray portion is still working the same as it always have. So it got rewritten but it's the same as always?

Actually it's not a matter of rewritting anything it's a matter of updating the lib that reads it. 

So, yeah, it's not that people don't care, there's not enough demand, it's just that devs don't actually implement it and it's a shame because libbluray do exists, reads every single uhd bluray and bluray, including bd-j and in the end, like me, many buy an OPPO and install a custom firmware on it to be able to read BDMV and ISO from their NAS, or build an HTPC and use a software that actually uses libbluray like J River. 

Just google how many answers in this forum are just: convert to mkv and you will see how many asked for this. 

And ISO, on windows a windows server it's a bitch to do, but on linux we are talking about a single /mount line to do it. 

Mount, check structure with ffmpeg, unmount, save info. 

If ISO is still present, saved info should still be used, read like any BDMV. 

Hard, kinda.. but worth it in the end. Specially to preserve a medium. 

• Agree 1

TheShoe

I actually use JRiver MC as my in my home theater and Emby for device streaming. Media Center supports nearly 100% blu-ray and UHD disc menus; so I backup everything to folders via MakeMKV and sometimes DeUHD (though Makemkv now supports AACS 2.1 as well).

I prefer menu playback in the home theater and in fact I now watch significantly more "extras" and also appreciate some of the wonderful menus that are created by some studios. I know you can remux the extras into MKVs or other containers, but that is a chore. With a library closing in on 1000 movies, it's not feasible and nor does it preserve (backup) the disc, which is important. It also means I can - when needed - remux to whatever I want when I want to, but having the player just handle it is great.

Ultimately I don't care for menus on device streaming and so if an MPLS could be used as the source and Emby just parse/play the various m2ts files from there it would be ideal.

Edited by TheShoe

• 11 months later...
rjsmith2007

I can confirm that performing the batch hex find and replace for in those files does enable direct playback of UHD blu ray folders. I tried with Top Gun. It worked first try! The software I used to edit with was Hex Editor Neo. Would love to see an update for reading UHD Blu Ray back ups. Converting them to mp4 or mkv is a messy and time consuming bandaid solution.

Edited by rjsmith2007

• 5 months later...
Jeoiseon
On 1/6/2020 at 12:05 AM, Veggav said:

There would be demand if this could actually come to life. 

The thing is, every single implementation of discs menus, be on emby, be on kodi, be on vlc, you name whatever open source project, there's a mantra that people keep repeting is that, nobody cares. 

People do care but since devs see it as actually too hard we get half-done implementations. 

There's an entire library for it that is libbluray that gets updated quite often that does the entire work of reading the discs for the software and output all the data it needs, chapters, angles, you name it. 

FFmpeg is what used by kodi and it uses libbluray. 

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/9c099034d93945e7fad5368532b6a77453b9838e/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreamBluray.cpp

Here, this is how you check for playlists. 

If you need specificity here is how you select the longest title for playback:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/9c099034d93945e7fad5368532b6a77453b9838e/xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDInputStreams/DVDInputStreamBluray.cpp#L97

In the end it's not that people don't care, it's that people give up. 

I have converted half of my collection to mkv format and stirpping the disc format because to serve the files to my devices using emby, which I gladly have a premium account, I just have to give up. 

I have offered the entire code of how to read uhd bluray, as pointed out. I can't imagine how far emby diverged from jellyfin to be unable to use it. 

I can't say much because the bluray portion is still working the same as it always have. So it got rewritten but it's the same as always?

Actually it's not a matter of rewritting anything it's a matter of updating the lib that reads it. 

So, yeah, it's not that people don't care, there's not enough demand, it's just that devs don't actually implement it and it's a shame because libbluray do exists, reads every single uhd bluray and bluray, including bd-j and in the end, like me, many buy an OPPO and install a custom firmware on it to be able to read BDMV and ISO from their NAS, or build an HTPC and use a software that actually uses libbluray like J River. 

Just google how many answers in this forum are just: convert to mkv and you will see how many asked for this. 

And ISO, on windows a windows server it's a bitch to do, but on linux we are talking about a single /mount line to do it. 

Mount, check structure with ffmpeg, unmount, save info. 

If ISO is still present, saved info should still be used, read like any BDMV. 

Hard, kinda.. but worth it in the end. Specially to preserve a medium. 

Cannot agrre more with you! People like me have searched a lot to find a way to make emby recognize Blu-ray files. Until i found this topic didn’t i know why the emby recognize the clpi files of UHD Blu-ray. I really wonder why the devs pay no attention to such a problem, since there was someone offering great resources to solve it. With such resources, i don’t think it is a very hard work to update the lib and make emby support UHD Blu-ray files. 

Now one and half an year have passed and nothing has changed. Emby still cannot read the clpi file of hdmv0300. Maybe jellyfin would be a better choice.

Veggav
4 hours ago, Jeoiseon said:

Cannot agrre more with you! People like me have searched a lot to find a way to make emby recognize Blu-ray files. Until i found this topic didn’t i know why the emby recognize the clpi files of UHD Blu-ray. I really wonder why the devs pay no attention to such a problem, since there was someone offering great resources to solve it. With such resources, i don’t think it is a very hard work to update the lib and make emby support UHD Blu-ray files. 

Now one and half an year have passed and nothing has changed. Emby still cannot read the clpi file of hdmv0300. Maybe jellyfin would be a better choice.

Jellyfin do support UHD BD for as long as this thread exists. 

But honestly, looking at the discs that the industry is releasing, the absolute lack of extras I can't say I'm sad to remux the main movie content.

It's a shame and this could be easily added, specially that jellyfin is open souce. 

Emby could even use Libbluray for that, which supports UHD BD for 2 years now. 

But again, remuxing seems the way to go if the industry keeps putting up those low quality, plain simple [MOVIE, AUDIO, SUBTITLE, CHAPTERS] kind of discs. 

I have checked over 200+ UHD BD discs and I can't say much will be missed.

Jeoiseon
On 5/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, Veggav said:

Jellyfin do support UHD BD for as long as this thread exists. 

But honestly, looking at the discs that the industry is releasing, the absolute lack of extras I can't say I'm sad to remux the main movie content.

It's a shame and this could be easily added, specially that jellyfin is open souce. 

Emby could even use Libbluray for that, which supports UHD BD for 2 years now. 

But again, remuxing seems the way to go if the industry keeps putting up those low quality, plain simple [MOVIE, AUDIO, SUBTITLE, CHAPTERS] kind of discs. 

I have checked over 200+ UHD BD discs and I can't say much will be missed.

It seems that the latest version has solved the iso playing problem, while the BDMV problem remains unsolved. When I use infuse to play iso through emby, the iso will be passed to infuse and infuse is able to recognize and play it. But when i play BDMV files (UHD), infuse failed to play and the dialog records the hdmv3000 error.