Hardware recommendations for Android TV

denz

denz

I currently have Android TV and so far very happy with it however that tv is not in the main living room so I want to buy an android tv box that I can load emby to use as a primary device as unfortunately WMC is dying the family is getting really frustrated with the daily freezes.

I would loved to swap it with Emby theater but it is not even close the basic functions like delete is still not working and I get occasional freeze when fast forwarding and you have to close theater to view video again. With short testing on android TV I didn't experience that once I guess because it is not using mpv player.  We have roku but it is just too slow to load live tv. Apple TV loads live tv fast but it doesn't deinterlace nor does it have tv guide so it is a pass but it has  good looking ui which only leaves me to get Android TV which loads live tv fastest and it is production ready. 

So would appreciate any recommendations for an Android TV box 

CBers

@@CBers, iirc the Mi Box had quite some issues with the Oreo update, have they been fixed in the meantime?

Not sure, as I don't own one.

denz

I went ahead and purchased mi box s it has Chromecast built in and that is a excellent feature just discovered it few months ago when I purchased sony tv.

I like NVIDIA Shield but it is in territory of apple tv in cost and I rather wait until the apple tv app is production ready with the current lack of updates probably next year so I can spend money on apple tv.

Q-Droid

The Mi Box is fine but it does have a downside if you intend to cast. It doesn't advertise while in sleep mode so you have to wake it first in order to cast. Mine is a 3, perhaps the S is better in this regard.

Edited by Q-Droid

denz

Thanks for heads up I can live with that downside hopefully that hasn't been fixed with an update. I will report back when I receive it in 2 weeks no one has local stock it is coming from overseas. 

WilhelmStroker

Didn’t the mi box also get the “google ad” experience?

As far as i know ALL android TV boxes got the google ad experience. I sure as hell saw it on my Shield...Shield would still be my preferred Android TV box, as I tried the fire TV stick a few times and can't stand how Amazon is trying to force their content down my throat.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

As far as i know ALL android TV boxes got the google ad experience. I sure as hell saw it on my Shield...Shield would still be my preferred Android TV box, as I tried the fire TV stick a few times and can't stand how Amazon is trying to force their content down my throat.

correct in all counts. Also you can’t compare a shield and and Apple TV for cost. Apple TV is almost twice the price of the shield in the uk. As an owner of both I’d choose another shield every single time

Spaceboy

That is interesting here apple tv 4k is $245 and shield is $249

bought a shield for £125 last year. Apple TV is £200 today on amazon