Emby thinks episodes are missing when they're not (mixed library paths)

Bob Schnatterly

Wow, that last phrase is so unprofessional.

Sorry.  It was meant in jest (which, I guess, is unprofessional) but really only partially in jest because I do know that Luke goes to bed almost every night cursing this particular feature :).

CharleyVarrick

Sorry.  It was meant in jest (which, I guess, is unprofessional) but really only partially in jest because I do know that Luke goes to bed almost every night cursing this particular feature :).

The whole idea behind a support forum/help desk is improvement, and eliminate bugs and issue, not removing features (a la PLEX)

Believe me when I say I do understand about some problem being a pain; I've work in tech support for the last 20 years and I've seen more than my share.

Those though ones are the most satisfying to solve, though...

CharleyVarrick

No, not manually scan.   The library scan is something that should be scheduled to happen automatically every x hours - unless you disabled it..

I have not knowingly disabled auto library scan. Where can I check this, and is it user-adjustable, every hour instead of twice a day, for instance.

Also, Happy2Play said no library scans (auto or manual) were required on his side, which leads me to believe this issue is not global.

Look in the Scheduled Tasks section of the dashboard and you can adjust the library scan task if you wish.  Although, I probably wouldn't set it to every hour.  Maybe 2-3...

CharleyVarrick

Look in the Scheduled Tasks section of the dashboard and you can adjust the library scan task if you wish.  Although, I probably wouldn't set it to every hour.  Maybe 2-3...

Each time I have an issue and post about it here, I find new features I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

What is that 3rd field "Time limits (hours)" about ? And I wonder how @@Happy2Play has his system setup.

5d960bf78e193_Capture.jpg

The time limit is how long you want to allow the task to run.

For instance, if you set the interval to every 2 hours you might want to limit the task to less than 2 hours so that they don't overlap.  Or, if you are setting it to run every day at 3am you may want to be sure it is cut off after 3 hours so that the system won't be bogged down when you get up at 6.

CharleyVarrick

The time limit is how long you want to allow the task to run.

For instance, if you set the interval to every 2 hours you might want to limit the task to less than 2 hours so that they don't overlap.  Or, if you are setting it to run every day at 3am you may want to be sure it is cut off after 3 hours so that the system won't be bogged down when you get up at 6.

As Emby says, "Got it" !

In a perfect world, this setting would be on a per-library basis.

I add 3 to 10 TV episodes everyday, mostly in the morning. But I barely add 1-2 movies per week. And I have a substantial movie library.

Edited by jlr19

As Emby says, "Got it" !

In a perfect world, this setting would be on a per-library basis.

I add 3 to 10 TV episodes everyday, mostly in the morning. But I barely add 1-2 movies per week. And I have a substantial movie library.

There is a FR for per-library controls but, the normal scan just looks for changes so if you don't change anything, it shouldn't have much impact.

Happy2Play

Each time I have an issue and post about it here, I find new features I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

What is that 3rd field "Time limits (hours)" about ? And I wonder how @@Happy2Play has his system setup.

5d960bf78e193_Capture.jpg

Mine is default (every 12 hours).

It should make no difference, but I will have to do some tests on my test machine but my primary stable and beta systems use xml metadata data.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

You might remember a few months ago, I foolheartedly tried to change scan time (because everyday, Emby wants to do "Check for application updates" and "Check for plugin updates"  when my machine is sleeping). 

5d9636fa36894_Capture.jpg

The process was very awkward and counter intuitive for me. My botched attempt ended up hosing Emby.

Looking back, I wish modifying updates scans set-time was as easy as changing media libray scan set-time, but unfortunately, update scans are not  offered in Scheduled Tasks.

It should make no difference, but I will have to do some tests on my test machine but my primary stable and beta systems use xml metadata data.

Speaking of which, my library media scan was default like you.

I just replace the default time 12:00 am for 06:00am, so now, providing I'm all done adding tv episode by 5:57(which is the case 99% of the time, the remaining 1% being all over the place), I should now have a library scan performed before I head out to work.

Once the scan is done, I expect to see TV Shows Upcoming showing as playable instead of missing.

5d9635c7b2ac8_Capture.jpg

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Lets not forget I'm senior noob here, but when you mention "xml metadata data", its in contrast to .NFO's, right ?

Happy2Play

Lets not forget I'm senior noob here, but when you mention "xml metadata data", its in contrast to .NFO's, right ?

Correct, I will do a couple tests shortly with adding media to the server and allow RTM to see the media in a environment the saves metadata with media (nfo) and on the does not (database only metadata) and see if it makes a difference.

I primarily uses MCM and xml metadata and don't see this issue at all.  Also all my media is local to the Emby host machine.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Correct, I will do a couple tests shortly with adding media to the server and allow RTM to see the media in a environment the saves metadata with media (nfo) and on the does not (database only metadata) and see if it makes a difference.

I primarily uses MCM and xml metadata and don't see this issue at all.  Also all my media is local to the Emby host machine.

Please report back your findings. We might be on to something good here. :)

Happy2Play

I had no issue adding Upcoming items to a library that had metadata with media (nfo) and not with media.  But the time I go the notification pop-up of the added media, about 2 minutes, I navigated to Upcoming and entered the item and it was no longer missing.

Tested on stable server with media on that machine.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I had no issue adding Upcoming items to a library that had metadata with media (nfo) and not with media.  But the time I go the notification pop-up of the added media, about 2 minutes, I navigated to Upcoming and entered the item and it was no longer missing.

Tested on stable server with media on that machine.

Sincere thank you, although it spells bad news to me. :(

- Sorry to interrupt Its Senior Noob here again with a question:

I don't suppose a side by side, line by line comparison of our respective logs when we both add a tv show would be useful ?

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

I do know that Luke goes to bed almost every night cursing this particular feature :).

Ha-ha. @@Luke, please no, dont pull the plug.

I think I am guessing 2 of the complaints.

1) Episodes not showing up on the right day, intermittent

2) random Duplicate (99% identical) content displayed, probably related to 1) above.

Yeah, those lil buggers they've been there all along but I kinda got used to them.

For others that may face similar issue, here's how I deal with it:

Click the 3 dots, 
Refresh Metadata, 
Search for Missing Metadata, 
(leave replace existing image unchecked), 
hit Refresh below and Boom ! 
You just wasted the zombie episode.
Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Any chance you do a portable install or install Emby on another machine and test with a couple Series and see if you get the same behavior?

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Yea we should have never done it. It's just a constant headache that needs to stop. 

It's also an essential feature.

Removing an essential feature, albeit an imperfect one,  is the absolute last straw when it significantly and adversely affect users experience, not because its a pain to fix/improve upon, or just because you're tired to hear about it, no disrespect intended.

I can live with its present issues, knowing that someone, somewhere, is trying to find a way to improve it;

It makes my lifetime subscription looks like a smart investment.

CharleyVarrick

Any chance you do a portable install or install Emby on another machine and test with a couple Series and see if you get the same behavior?

Definitely YES, but It'll be a few days before I can set this up. :)    

CharleyVarrick

I just replace the default time 12:00 am for 06:00am, so now, providing I'm all done adding tv episode by 5:57(which is the case 99% of the time, the remaining 1% being all over the place), I should now have a library scan performed before I head out to work.

Once the scan is done, I expect to see TV Shows Upcoming showing as playable instead of missing.

5d9635c7b2ac8_Capture.jpg

I want to report back on replacing the default library scan schedule with a custom fixed time.

The best time for me is just after the latest episodes have all been added.

Its a decent workaround against the "missing" episode issue. A full libraries scan takes about 5 minutes in my setup. Maybe 90 seconds for tv library, the rest for movies.

The only drawback is if new episodes are added late (after library scan set time), they won't update from missing to available status.

Should it happen too often, I would just push the library scan set-time back to 6:30 or 7:00am.

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Definitely YES, but It'll be a few days before I can set this up. :)    

Did you have a chance to test this?

CharleyVarrick

Did you have a chance to test this?

Not yet, it could be weeks before I can spare the time, but I'll do it for sure.

• 1 month later...
CharleyVarrick

I have not had yet the opportunity to do a test build, but I have just noticed a new behavior with Upcoming tv shows.

Once yesterday's show has been acquired and included in library, and a library scan is performed, the episode disappears from Upcoming.

Before, it was displayed (and showed the playable icon once that show was scanned.

I would prefer it not disapearring from Upcoming.

I would prefer it not disapearring from Upcoming.

But, you have it so, by definition, it is no longer "upcoming", correct?